NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Broken Dipstip Tube - This Sucks

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken Dipstip Tube - This Sucks
    Posted: April-29-2007 at 12:59pm
Man I think this sucks. I hope someone has a tip that will save my summer.

I just pulled the exhaust logs off my '68 to have them (and my new Performer intake) powder coated. The dipstick tube was hanging slightly outboard as it will when the tube bracket has been unbolted. That evening I lowered the motor box from the other side of the boat, lowered it onto the dipstip tube and broke it off flush with the pan.

I see no other fix other than pullng the engine.

Anyone got any ideas?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 6:15pm
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN????????? I HAVE E-MAILED YOU. WE ARE ALL WONDERING AND WERE WORRIED ABOUT YOU. YOU AIN'T BEEN ON HERE IN MONTHS. GLAD YOU ARE BACK.

john

sorry about the dip tube thing. you know I can't help with that.
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 8:24pm
Nice to see you again jbear. All I can say is I was distracted....

I see a whole lot of new names on the board.

I am going to visit a few marine repair shops tomorrow. I think I am just going to have the engine pulled and have the dipstick tube brazed in. It will be a good time to pull my trans and repair the mother of all tranny leaks.

I wish I hadn't have already bought the trans rebuild kit - with my work load what it is I think I would like to ship my trans of to Eric the Tranny guy. He seems to know what he is doing.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2007 at 9:53pm
Jim; It is so cool to have ya back. Hope the "distraction" was nothing of a to serious matter.

Yeah...lots of new names here and lots been goin' on as usual.

From the sound of his posts I don't think you can go wrong with Eric. Plus he is from our old area of Ohio so I know he must be cool.

Good luck.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 2:21am
Brand new to this site. As I did repair on a Mustang years ago for a customer, the same thing had happened to his dipstick tube. You will actually have to pull the oil pan as you will run the risk of passby gasoline in the pan. The welders I found at the time would only braze the tube on a detatched, cleaned oil pan.
rudderdad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 1:30pm
Thanks rudderdad. I think that is where I am headed. Not only that, my existing tube is aluminum so I am sure I am going to have to buy a steel tube in order to braze it. What a screwed up design. You'd think they would have made a press-in tube with rubber grommets. I can't even imagine how you would ship an oil pan with a permanently fixed dipstick tube sticking out of it. What was Ford thinking?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 1:35pm
What exactly does this thing look like? The one in my mustang is probably not original but it is mounted on a riveted on metal plate with a extruded hole that the dipstick tube just presses into. With your legendary transmission leak it might not be a bad time to pull that motor anyway but to pull it over a dipstick seems pretty intense. I would probably make something up with a rubber stopper and a cut down dipstick to get me through till I wanted to pull it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 4:22pm
Thanks for the reply Joe. The tranny is coming off. I have to get the EPA off my back. There is a riveted metal plate and perhaps the original dipstick did press into it - that would make since. However, the dipstick tube broke off leaving part of the tube still in the hole - but you cannot see it. To get that part of the tube out I think I have to drop the pan. Maybe I can tap an easyout into it and with a twisting motion, get the rest of the tube out - thanks for the idea.... I'll give it a shot....
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 8:02pm
Jim,
a last ditch try... bend the tip of a coat hanger and leave the bend wide and shove down the tube and hopefully it will expand and hook the bottem of the tube and try pulling or loop the hanger and pry. this worked for me once on a chevy motor, i also used some heat in the area
eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2007 at 11:03pm
Thanks Eric, I'll try it. I bought parts to rebuild the old 70C from E-Basic Power but because of my work load I have lost interest in the DIY project. Summer is upon us.

Can I ship you the trans and the parts?

If so, advise me on how to box the thing up and where to ship it.

Jim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 7:24am
UPS takes them at 98 lbs.....use a 4 gallon milk crate with a box around, ill give you the special treatment and latest and greatest parts

ffi transmission
2455 pearl road
medina ohio 44256
877-369-6693

that epa is a real pita.....had my run ins in the past
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 11:56am
I'm not sure if I want the special treatment - depending on what that means.

I like the milk crate idea. Anyone know where to get milk crates? I guess I'm off to Krogers to see if I can "borrow" one from their back lot.....
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

Anyone know where to get milk crates? .....

From the milkman?

I am sure eric will do you an awesome job but hope you can wait for delivery. I am not sure how often the horse and buggy in Brunstucky picks up.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 9:35pm
eric; Sorry man..just couldn't help myself.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 9:00am
we still use the pony express, it could be a couple of months,
i actually went into Medina the other day (Ryans area) and a fricken amish buggy was pulling out of home depot.
Jim, the special treatment is the price
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 9:55am
This is a funny one J-Bear, now that you mention Brunstuckians. We sold a Dodge 1500 last Friday after half a day out front for sale, it had big mudders on it flare kit bright red...this 18 year old brunstuckian cowboy sucked it up. well first thing Monday morning the phone rings, its the kids mother and she was asking if the truck had a warranty, my answer was yes the wave warranty, this warranty is one when you look in the rearview mirror as your leaving and your watching me waving and as soon as im out of site the warranty is expired. Anyways I asked why and she told me the trannie blew up and she took some pictures and i told her to e-mail them to me.
I got the pictures and this 18 year old said he was driving down the street and heard a thump. Well i recieved the pictures with the back half of the trans on the ground, this kid actually snapped the trans in half, ive never seen this and cannot imagine a trans snapping in half from driving down the road. tha conversation ended with my attorney will contact you...I told her you could have God contact me and I'll tell him the same thing
typical day in Brunswick
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 1:37pm
I always give em the "money back guarentee".
Once i have your money, i guarentee i'm not givin it back!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 2:55pm
thats why i am a big fan of good old american currency
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 10:54pm
Hey Eric, what a story!   Brunswick--do they make bowling balls there?

JiminH--I'd still like to chase you down on chocolate sometime. I'm not a weirdo...just would enjoy meeting you. I won't take much of your time. I'm headed to San Bernard for first time tomorrow. I'd like to meet Bob sometime down there too. I really hope you get that tranny and dipstick thing taken care of soon, and well!

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 11:03pm
Always remember the rules of when a vehicle is truly sold.

A. Cash or the check cashes
B. The tail lights go across the curb.

Jim, hows the dipstick coming. You know that you can pull complete eng/tran in approx 56 minutes. Even better on a low boy than a standard trailer.
rudderdad
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 1:23am
eric: Loved the story. No matter how many new people move out there or how many new shopping plazas they put up or how many fancy new houses they build....it'll still always be Brunstucky.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 8:05am
Dude, if they made bowling balls here in Brunswick, bowling would no longer exist,
John, coming your way in July, maybe i could slip out for a day, going to see MM and i dont mean Madd marx
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 10:57pm
eric; Heck yeah, if you are coming down here in July you better plan on stopping here.

The only other, more famous MM I know about has been dead for a number of years. How you gonna see her? I would opt for a visit to MM and Blondie, you won't be disappointed.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 11:33pm
I think hes talking about "Mickey Mouse" ha ha
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 12:58am
Rudderman, I just don't have access to an a-fame or a lift that will do the job... I considered building a quick a-frame but for some reason my work load (Ugh) picked up during the middle of last year and I just can't sqeeze in time. I towed the 68 to Alvin Marine. The guy there is supposed to lift the engine and pull the pan for me this week. But tomorrow is Friday and I haven't heard from him...

Dude, I don;t think you're weird.. I just travel in my work and I haven't been home much since last summer. I will be gone almost all of May and June... I can't turn down the crazy money people are throwing at me.

Maybe I'l have the 68 running and wet by July and we can throw back a few cool ones. That would be great. I am planning on taking all of August off.

I designed some front seat frames and bought some 1/4" x 2" Marine grade aluminum flat bar out of Florida and I had it shipped to a fab shop in Texas. As soon as I get the frames fabbed I will send them to a local upolstorer for the new front seats. Just couldn;t find seats for an old Mustang so I am making my own. I hope to get the tranny, oil pan repair, and front seats all back in a few weeks.

I'll post a new thread and put up a pick to the seat frames. I hope they work out.

BTW, my new Edlebrock Performer and my exhaust logs are at the powder coater right now.

So, you can envision the state of the 68 right now. It looks bad.
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 9:05am
Wish you were closer, I am in OK, and have kids in Ft Worth. Could do for you in an afternoon, and would be happy to. Jim, what type of work do you do?
rudderdad
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 9:05pm
Mark: Of course he meant Mickey. That went right over my senior head. Now maybe Marilyn is more famous than our MM, but not some mouse!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 9:51pm
rudderdad, I present electrical training seminars to pay my light bills. At the risk of seeming like I am selling and I'm not(work is the last thing I am interested in when I come to this forum) one of my main sites is: www.electricaltrainingusa.com All of my business comes from internet sales.

I wish you were closer too and thanks for the nice offer.

I haven't heard from Ken at Alvin Marine and he was supposed to have the engine out last week. I'm going to check on the boat tomorrow (Monday) and if he has not started I am going to bring the boat home. I had a great idea last night... to build a nice looking A-Frame to pull the engine and then convert the A-frame to a swing set for the grand kids once I'm done... Then I won't have an ugly A-frame sitting around the yard. What do you think?

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 10:42pm
Jim,

I built an A Frame of sorts to pull the motor, and to lift the boat off the trailer.
I used old scrap wood, so it doesn't look too nice, but it works well. I would caution you - the first time I did not have the diagonal bracing on the horizontal beam. With a ten foot span, I snapped the beam under the weight of the motor (4 X 8). BKH

Livin' the Dream

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 11:52pm
I'm not sure if what you built could actually be called an A-frame but it is compact and it looks great BKH and thanks for the heads-up. Your A-frame may be about to have an identical twin... thanks for the pic. Are those posts 4 x 6s? What's that structure holding up the rear? Looks kinda like a shelf or something? Are those side brace boards holding the 4 x 8 in place, nailed, screwed, or bolted?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic