NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No start, searched, accel pump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by wannabeSS wannabeSS wrote:

But I have a question, if the motor was not at TDC when I had the dots lined up, then something is not right/broken with the gears/cam/crank correct?

depends if you where on the compression stroke or not with the crank when it was at TDC and also if you installed the gear on the end of the cam correctly. Some gears have different offsets for the timing and if you didn't read the instructions then you who knows. Don't bye it's the carb, then again alot of guys have know clue how to adjust a Q-jet to start with which is what a edelbrock carb is basicly takes a little more skill but once it's set you really don't have to mess with it unlike a holley carb which is easy to adjust but requires frequent adjustments over time.

and since it turns freely until it fires then seems to slow down the carb's not going to cause that but a timing chain installed incorrectly will.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 7:14am

Is it time to pull #1 plug and check to see if when the piston is at TDC the valves are actually closed? I've been thinking thats the problem all along and you cautioned about this a few months ago when the chain was being installed. I think that would be my next step, only takes a few minutes and atleast you'll eliminate the question.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Is it time to pull #1 plug and check to see if when the piston is at TDC the valves are actually closed? I've been thinking thats the problem all along and you cautioned about this a few months ago when the chain was being installed. I think that would be my next step, only takes a few minutes and atleast you'll eliminate the question.
Going to check tomorrow
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 9:03am
Pulled the #1 plug and cranked the motor to find the compression stroke, then put the motor at TDC on the compression stroke using the mark i made on the balacer when i had the dots lined up. I opened the cover and both valves were closed. I put a screw driver into the plug hole and felt the piston so it's at or near TDC. I opened the cap and the rotor is pointing at the #1 tower where i put it when I had the dots lined up. I even cranked the motor over to make sure the valves were opening and closing and they were. I'm at a loss, the only thing i can think of is the starter is not spinning fast enough to fire the boat.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 9:29am
The starter not spinning fast enough is never the reason a well timed engine barely needs a bump to start

if your getting a steady stream of gas out of your accelerator pump now then the edelbrock is working more than enough to get that bad boy firing.

You have spark, you have gas, as chris is getting a little frustrated about there are only two other things that could be the problem, one is compression which I would check but is not likely and the most obvious thing is improper timing or my favorite mistake the spark plug wires routed incorrectly.

I have made every mistake possible in the past in routing spark plug wires and every time I was sure they were right, every time I changed a bunch of stuff that worked fine, and every time when I finally got it right I couldnt believe how easy it was to get an engine to start. Check here
and make sure, pay close attention to the rotation and numbering and once its right dont be afraid to rotate that cap a bit. Good luck.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 9:54am
Wannabe,

Joes post made me wonder if your using the wrong firing order.

I believe your engine s/b CCW rotation and the firing order is 18456273 not like the link in Joes post correct?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 1:51pm
Nice clarification alan, his firing order should be 18456273, the diagram I linked I to I was citing for cylinder numbering and rotation of the distributor which are the same for both L and R hand engines. I have have made both the numbering and rotor rotation direct mistakes before, damn fords number different, have number one in the wrong spot, and turn the distributor cap the wrong way... I will never figure out how I ended up with 5 v8 fords in my motor pool something went terribly wrong somewhere...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 2:18pm
Joe,
I just hope thats his problem so he can get this crap behind him and use the boat again. Without having the boat in front of me I'm out of ideas.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 4:17pm
I don't believe the starter theory of rotating too slowly. By design, some of the old 40's engines rotated very slow, but if tuned correctly they started right up. And they had old style coils, plugs etc. Ever kick start a Harley. Kicking faster doesn't start the engine....proper timing and fuel make it start.

Not wanting to start a debate, but Edelbrock vs Holley is not his problem either. Both are fantastic carbs. I have both and am in means an expert and can make both work. Save your money and keep troubleshooting. You poured gas into the engine and it wouldn't fire so don't start looking into a fuel problem.

So you elimanated fuel as the problem. You say that the plugs have spark. So it must be the timing which could also be off if you ran the wires incorrectly.

How did you line the dots up when you istalled the new timing gear?

Does your starter just go dead or does the engine rotate? Are you sure the timing gear problem hasn't wiped out your cam?

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 5:59am
they are both good carbs, it was a personal preference thing, it was kinda of ironic on how brand new out of the box i d*cked with that edelbrock for 6 months not thinking it was the carb and slapped the holley on and it was a entirely different engine, and had the same problem on a boat.
this guy needs a good set of eyes to look at whats going on with this thing, something very simple is being overlooked, and you need to start from the begining such as a compression test, then the gear timing, a wore out distributor bushing will cause a hard start problem, it could be anything and i think its time he takes it to a mechanic to get another set of eyes to look at it because diagnosing this thing without being there is close to impossible
"the things you own will start to own you"
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 7:11pm
Ok site was down yesterday for me, so i'm back today. When i clicked your link joe i was like thinking that i've been using the wrong firing order the whole time. But nope, i've been using the right one 18456273. Anyways for you guys not thinking it was the starter, i took the starter to a rebuild shop yesterday. The guy tried to jump it for 2 seconds and it was turning slow and got extremely hot. He pulled it apart today and he said some part (cant remember) was broke inside and the starter was shorting out badly, he said it's not even re-buildable. He told me to buy a new one online b/c it's probably cheaper than his cost. So i'm guessing the short was pulling a lot of power away from the rest of the electrical system including the coil. I said before how the coil didnt really have a strong spark like the stock coil on my car. So i'm ordering a new starter and ill let you guys know how it goes from there.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 7:25pm
Ok, checked the firing order again, even painted the numbers on each wire with white out and the wires are in the right order. I'm just hoping the starter is and has been the culprit of my starting problems since the beginning.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 9:42pm
New starter did the trick, fired right up, guess i didnt need that mechanic after all. Thanks everyone for the help
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 11:17pm
Back in 1998 I started having starting problems with my 92 351W SNCB. It was turning over fairly fast and was easy to start cold and then once it got hot it was diffucult to start and sometimes would backfire. I was told to get a new starter because the Pro-Tech needed alot of energy to make the engine fire over and if the starter was bad it would draw too many amps therefore hurting the Pro-Tech ignition. I was doubtful but bought a new starter and the boat fired right up all the time...I was amazed but it fixed the problem. Maybe it was just a weird Pro Tech issue.

Thanks!
"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 9:41am
Man, I've seen some starters cause really weird issues.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic