NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351w Volvo + 351w Commander = ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351w Volvo + 351w Commander = ?
    Posted: May-02-2007 at 10:53pm
Hey Group. New to the site in the last week,or so and love it. I must love since my English springer spaniel is named Rudder, and I don't sail. Worked for a friend that had a CC dealership when I was in college. Traveled with one of the first BFN's in 1977. Have owned a 1972 Ski Tique, and numerous 18' SN's, and even a 2001 deluxe. Got out to start a trucking venture. Bought a 79SN in 1999, gutted, had stringers & floor put in, in 2001.
LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!

Now for the meat of the subject. I have a 351W commander showing 661 hrs, known the boat since new, and know the hrs are short.
Have done the tranny. Made an offer for complete Volvo 351w guts and heads (found the 3 marks today / GT40s!!) This engine was a low hour EFI engine in a Four Winds. Had a crack in a water jacket along the cam valley.

Question now can I put all of this in my block, and if so what do y'all think I will end up with?
rudderdad
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 1:42am
Randy: Have noticed your posts in the last week or so and have been remiss in not welcoming you to our little place here.

I too Love Springers. Had one, Miss Mindy, that I lost on Christmas day a few years ago. She was 14 and had a stroke. Like to kill me. Still have her ashes on the shelf and she'll go in Lake Norris with mine after the Lord calls me home. Boy I could talk about her all day but I won't.

Sorry I cannot help you with the engine question. Guys on here know I never lift my motor box. Lots of confusing things goin' on under there.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 8:18am
Hey John, Thanks for the welcome. This site is just what I needed, looks like a great group. Y'know I had another springer named luckey, and my ex made me get rid of him. Gave him to my sister, and they just adored him. Lost him last year, and we all cryed. Rudder is 2, and now my sister has a 9 month old named Dexter. I know what you mean about being close, Rudder is my shadow.
rudderdad
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 11:17pm
Hi and welcome Rudderdad,GSP dogs for me,I know your pain BKH.

Seems like you could just move the heads and intake from Volvo to Commander with Electronics too

Munday
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 11:46pm
rudderdad, agree with the love for the dogs,have three. English Setter, and two American Pointers.Pointers are required to hunt for their room and board, setter is in retirement,love them dogs.
Now to the meat of your question,why would you do anything to an engine with that amount of hours.If the maint. has been performed properly that moter is good for 12 to 1500 hrs.
If there is no issues,leaks, loss of power or strange noises why buy trouble????????
The GT 40s are a good addition as would be a good intake. Both would be boost in power, and easy on your pocket book.......boat dr
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 8:19am
Thanks for the feedback guys. The hour meter showing 661, I know is was unhooked for a long time. The heads, engine parts, and assembly are all free. All I have to buy are gaskets. Have you ever seen the Volvo components? They are truly top shelf.
rudderdad
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 8:53am
rudderdad,the plenum may be too tall for your cover,some of the older covers were real tight on space.
I would build the long block first,find a good block,transfer all the stuff to that engine . Then do a pan and elect. swap when you pull the old motor. That way you have a fresh motor that should last a long time.
Maybe a good time for the cam and intake upgrade,and stay with the carb setup,simple really is BETTER.........boat dr
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 9:02am
Good call. Staying carbed, as just the longblock components are available, none of the efi, which is fine. They longblocked the four winns, with a new longblock from CA, which required no core return.
rudderdad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic