NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

filling small holes on deck

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: filling small holes on deck
    Posted: May-03-2007 at 7:58pm
I just made the bold move of removing the bars from the front of my bow. See the picture to full understand what im talking about. There were 2 bars each with 4 holes, thats 8 holes, plus the 2 holes that are also on my bow from the removal of my horn. All these add up to a crazy number of 10 holes all about 3/8 to 1/2 inches in diameter.

I am wondering what is the best way to fill these holes?

My initial idea was to get these little pre cut wood hole fillers that my dad uses on some carpentry and make sure they are the right size, use a little glue and fill the holes with that then use West marine gel coat filler. After that sand it down and polish and wax the whole bow. Anyone elses ideas would be very appreciated!

Thanks Eric
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 9:15pm
why????????
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 10:50pm
what kinda dumb ass sh*t did you do? ten holes? what was mounted to these holes the horn, maybe vents? what stupid sh*t did you do again sorry it's late and the pops where cold.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 10:55pm
I didnt drill these holes. They were there from the bars across the bow. I took the bars off and now i have little holes. Just looking for a way to fill them
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 11:09pm
oh your talking about the dumb ass that added the grap rails, I see them now.
epoxy and ivory gel to top them off should do the trick to cover them up.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 11:15pm
yes that dumbass. I hated those grab rails so now they are in my basement and soon to be on ebay.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 11:20pm
The boat had an optional stainless bow rails, and also an optional airhorn mounted on the deck rather than under the bow. I don't care for the way they looked either, but I'm not sure I would have removed them.

The wood plugs aren't a good idea. They are not likely to stick well, and over time, they'll rot. You are better off to fill them with fiberglass. Probably put a small patch of mat from the back of the hole, under the bow, as a backing. Then a little fairing compound or filler to fill most of the hole. Finally, some color matched gelcoat to top off the whole. With these small holes, you should be able to apply the gel with a small brush, and then wetsand till flush. DavidF, pbrainard, or Skibum would know better than I if you need to chamfer the hole, etc. BKH
Livin' the Dream

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 11:21pm
the rails were stock for that year!!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 5:12am
You'll never match the exact color of the gel. It will always look patched or that something is missing. Keep the rails for (if) when you sell the boat then plug the holes with finishing washers and screws. The future owner may want the factory optional original rails.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 11:52am
Small screw holes can be filled with gel only. yes, chamfer the edges first. Larger holes should be filled with epoxy to just below the finish surface, then topped with gel. Color matching will be difficult.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic