NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

power washing ok?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power washing ok?
    Posted: May-04-2007 at 8:41am
The '83 i just picked up has tons of lake gunk on the bottom. Is it ok to just power wash it off or will this possibly damage the gel coat? I'm sure if you put the washer too close with too much pressure it might, but generally speaking is this a decent way to get large amounts of lake grime off?

chris
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 10:47am
you can power wash all you want, it isn't going to hurt the gelcoat, and probably won't remove the scum either.

if it has "tons" af lake gunk on it you are probably going to have to use some good ole' elbow grease.

Mine was real bad when I got it. I tried muriatic acid hull cleaner, this worked ok but is nasty stuff (burns skin and lungs). and still had to scrub. also tried toilet bowl cleaner, this worked too somewhat... Then I tried Purple Power cleaner. This stuff worked great, spray it on full strength and scrub with a stiff brush and a green scratchy pad. Dosn't burn your skin and you can breath while using it too

put the boat in the water for a few hours then clean it after you pul it out. the stuff will soften up while in the water and will be easier to remove
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 11:12am
If your gel cote comes off with power washing you have bigger problems than lake grime.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 11:48am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If your gel cote comes off with power washing you have bigger problems than lake grime.

Yes, if the hull is blistered, the pressure washer will pop off the gel if it is held too close!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 1:24pm
Agreed, it's not blistered or anything. Just has what looks like several years of lake grime gunk on the bottom. I'll probably need a good shoulder massage after I'm done scrubbing it.

chris
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 1:29pm
I have the exact same boat and had some good succes with starbrite hull cleaner to remove yellowing with very little scrubbing (didnt have any real grime though) but it is a rubber glove operation and I wouldnt leave it on the paint more than the minute that the directions called for.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2007 at 8:39am
Last night I pressure washed the scum on the pontoon and was semi-sucessful. I filled a bucket of hot water and used auto wash soap , borax powered soap( sodium perborate ) ,a green scotch brite pad and a little elbow grease it came off easy. It's easier by hand than with the pressure washer(13 hp 3750 psi)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 5:26am
Power wash works wonders on a swim deck.
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 10:58pm
Got my toons pretty clean but didn't make much of a dent in the underside of the SN. It's going to take some chemicals and serious elbow grease it appears.

chris
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 6:46pm
yeah and a lot of beer too...
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 11:44am
I like the Star brite product also. I use a a five gallon bucket and a stiff brush with a broom handle....a deck washing brush. It is work. After you get it all off wax it.....or pay someone else to wax it...like a teen that wants free pulls on the lake!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic