Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

4 blade prop coming out of the water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 blade prop coming out of the water
    Posted: July-23-2004 at 12:57pm
This isn't really an engine issue but I thought I'd post it here anyway.

I installed an OJ 13x13 4 blade prop on my '79 SN earlier this year. I've noticed that on hard turns I can now get the prop to come out of the water which causes the engine to rev high.

Have any of you experienced this? I never had this happen with the 3 blade prop.
trauski View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trauski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2004 at 3:54pm
is it actually coming out of the water or is it just cavitating, which is creating a air pocket around the prop from turning hard.

if you are turning that hard on that old of a boat,be careful. you can bend a strut or driveshaft. break the straps holding the gas tank or easily knock the motor out of alignment.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2004 at 5:22pm
There is no way the prop is coming out of the water! If it does, you are on your way to being upside down.

So, cavitation could cause this I suppose, but 4-blade props usually reduce the chance of cavitation, hence they are smoother (less vibration). If the prop is cavitating, you would feel increased and excessive vibration.

The other possibility is that the transmission is slipping when you turn hard. I would check the fluid level and make sure the tranny pump is not sucking air on hard turns.

Other than that, I no other ideas.
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2004 at 9:03pm
You guys obviously do not have a 79 cause they will come out of the water! I have a three blade 13x13 that pops my boat out of the water on a really hard turn causing the boat to rev high. This is when you are trying sea world or bush gardens style driving-ie a full hard turn at 45 MPH but you can definitely get the boat out of the water. Many on the docks have likened it to watching a jetski only bigger.
1979 Ski Nautique
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2004 at 9:05pm
Plus, these boats sit bow down compared to some boats to start with. so popping the back end out of the water really isnt that hard.
1979 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2004 at 1:03pm
Like Trauski says, be carefull. I have a '77 Martinique which is very similiar to your '79 and I have never had an issue with the prop coming out of the water. With the turns you are doing, I would be worried that something would give on such an old boat. Not to mention the danger of rolling (capsizing) the boat.

BTW, I also run a 13x13LH 4-blade. So, yes "popping the back end out of the water" is hard (or at least not normal) and you have to be doing some wild stuff to make it happen. Did I say be carefull?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2004 at 7:54pm
I have not seen this on my 79. but when I do turn it that hard to do a 180, I will back it off as I cut. The bow does go down and the stern does come up in an agressive turn like this I guess if I stayed in the gas it would over rev but thats would be hard on the engine.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2004 at 11:33pm
I was taught when my skiier falls, return ASAP, so I have always cut the wheel hard to 180 without backing-off the throttle. Before the speed begins to fall, I slam the throttle wide open to maintain my speed. As I come out of the turn and the boat planes back out, I ease back off the throttle and bring the rope back around to my skiier. My boat handles this hard turn with ease and I don't have any problem with the prop coming out of the water.

I bought my Correct Craft because they have a reputation for being the best-built boats in the world. It has never crossed my mind that I might bend a strut or drive shaft, or that I might do ANY damage to the boat by cutting hard. And I certainly wouldn't want to risk capsizing. Has ANYONE ever bent a strut by turning hard wide open? If that could happen, then I would like to know.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2004 at 2:34am
I'm with both David and BC on this one. Hopefully what AWhite70 is referring to is accelerating out of very tight, slow speed turns and like an outdrive or outboard trimmed too high, I've experience some unexplained cavitation allowing the engine to rev until I backed off and let it catch. But like David said, I wouldn't expect this out of that prop. As far as the prop literally coming OUT of the water, BC and the IrishFooter have obviously experienced the thrill that so many of us enjoy with our CC's on limited occasions. In case you haven't, many models, when put into a full and quick 180, and backing off the throttle instantaneously while or just after turning, can indeed put the nose UNDER water, while lifting practically the ENTIRE running gear briefly out out water, and it's surely not considered a problem, but a virtue of this ultimate handling boat. While not condoning this personally, and feeling it's gotta be rough on the equipment, they have however, done it for years, for the public, at the big ski shows as Irish' mentioned. The jetski analogy is right on the money. And 180 degrees is just the initial goal..........
ReidP
1973 Mustang

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2004 at 2:14am
ReidP is right on the money "the nose under thrill"...spin it 180 with the throttle quickly backed off can put the nose under nearly to the windshield...and you might take a bit of water in too!My 72 mustang will spin real fast (partly due to the small stablizing fins)and nose down in a hurry.Scares the crap out of anyone in the boat including me!Don't go there any more though...no need to push my luck. I had to find out what it could do... been there , done it , it was way cool...but I am in safe mode now! Never really thought about the stress to the boat,but it makes sense that damage could occur.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic