NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High End Performance

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High End Performance
    Posted: May-07-2007 at 4:10pm
I'm trying to piece together 100's of older threads regarding high end engine performance. Could somebody just quickly give their input on this:

My rebuilt 351 engine has about 22 hours on it. The Holley carburetor is new, all electrical components are new. Hoses, filters, gas related stuff new. I think the only original parts are the starter and alternator. Fresh gas, 89 octane in tank too.

At about 4,000 RPM's, I'm starting to run out of throttle fast. The tach reads about 4,250-4,300 TOPS, WOT with a new ACME 540. Listening to the engine and feeling what the boat is doing, my only conclusion is that I'm lacking sufficent fuel to the engine. I haven't checked the timing at high end yet. I've been reading stuff through out. What am I looking for the timing to be at 4,400 RPM's? The manual says no more than 30 degrees BTC. So does this mean 29 BTC is OK? Will adjusting the carburetor and timing cure lacking RPM's? The wacky thing is that when I have the throttle pinned, I'll be at about 3,800 RPM's then all of a sudden the engine adjusts it's RPM's to hit about 4,250. Everything else sounds and runs extremely healthy, except for the high 3,000, low 4,000 RPM band. I hate to repeat prior thread inquiries, but quick, short replies would really help.

Thanks,

Ken
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 6:17pm
You say your prop is new. So how new? I mean is there any history of your engine turning any higher than 4300 RPMs with this prop? Also, there's nothing wrong with a 4300 RPM WOT. What I'd be concerned with is the sudden gain from 3800 to 4250. This sounds like something is slipping - Either the prop or the transmission. But more likely the prop (if it's not cupped). What speed are you reaching?

To answer the question about timing, max timing advance should be reached by 3000 RPM. With the stock distributor, base timing will be 10 deg BTDC (screw down cap) and end up somewhere around 28 - 32 deg BTDC @ 3000 RPM. Some guys here have posted that they have achieved better performance by re-curving their timing advance to reach 35 - 37 deg @ 3000 RPM. I'd be very careful in trying this. Good luck and please post your results.

Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 7:06pm
It could be stuck advanxe or just plain wrong advance in distributer.or even sticky secondaries.

Munday
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 7:11pm
Ken

you should see max advance by 2500 and no latter than 3000 rpm at around 30-35 the more the better as long as it doesn't ping on the top end.

I would focus on the fuel pump makes sure you have a constant 5 lbs of pressure and also check the carb, it will need tweeked regardless if it was just re-built or new out of the box, it is a 600 cfm model correct?.

To me it sounds like you have an issue with the secondary's on the carb or maybe a 2.5 power valve in it. might even be too small of jets on the secondary side as well.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

might even be too small of jets on the secondary side as well.

The secondaries on a stock 4160 wont have jets, only the metering plate.

Nutty, I dont think 4300 RPM sounds right. A stock 351w in a 2001 should be turning a 540 closer to 4600 RPM. From what I remember, Ken was turning his previous 4-blade 4100-4200 RPM, so the problem was there before the swap.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 11:37pm
tim don't believe ken stated what carb he bought to start with so was listing all possible options to look at encase he does have a model that has secondary jets.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 11:52am
Thanks for the input. I'm not looking to push the engine beyond the factory specs. I'd like to be able to reach the maximum performance specs of 4,400 RPM.

The ACME is brand new and recently tuned. I have a Holley carburetor, which has 22 hours on it. It has "High Performance" stamped on the side of it, I'm not sure of the model number. Does an engine go out of original adjustment after the break in period? I haven't verified the timing since it was installed in late 2005.

Tim's exactly right, my four blade OJ wasn't spinning up to the max RPM range. I actually had OJ make adjustments to give me more RPMs, as I was spinning 3,800 max when I got it. Since the new "rebuilt" was installed, I've never reached maximum RPM, 4,400. It could be an adjustment that needs to make all the difference.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:03pm
the carb number would help more than knowing it say's high performance on the side. And yes the timing needs re-checked the timing chain will stretch and you need to check what the advance is at 2500 rpm as well. You will also need to dial in the carb as well it's not a bolt on without any adjustment needed type part and it goes way beyond setting the idle mixture screws, choke stat, and idle settings.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:03pm
Tim,

I just shot an e-mail off to you and Brad about using my boat tonight. I want to grab my Dad's timing light and see what we have for settings. I can be the boat of choice for this evenings pull.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:06pm
Thanks, Chris. My boat wasn't lake tested after Correct Craft installed the new motor. I'm sure I have some adjustments that are necessary at this point in time. I've seen how bad timing throws off the entire program with performance. I'm actually going to go get my boat during my lunch break and grab the numbers off the carb. I'll let you know.

Thanks
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:16pm
Ken I'm going through pretty much exactly what you are with our '88.

I couldn't get more than 4300 rpm with a 12" pitched prop. The stock 13" pitch brought me back down to 4150 rpm at WOT. I wouldn't be concerned with what the tach is telling me except that's at a GPS verified 38 mph. I've checked the throttle cable and looks like it's properly adjusted. Timing chain feels tight.

I will keep you posted although it sounds like you're attacking your issues sooner than I will be. Boat will probably hit the water next weekend for fuel pressure and timing checks.

Going down to TX to take a few sets behind Feelgood's BFN this weekend. Hopefully I can learn a few things from this thread when I get back.

I have an unknown EI conversion that uses a ballast resistor and an oil filled coil. Magicman's tuned 4160 is ready to bolt on for testing as well. Just put in fresh plugs and fuel filter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:27pm
Hollywood,

Pretty mind boggling issue. The engine runs like a top until you hit the high 3,000 RPM band. I'm sure you feel the loss of throttle response like I do from 4,000 to about 4,300.

I never thought to check the position on the throttle cable. I'm pretty positive the timing and carburetor adjustments aren't jiving. I think we'll start by advancing the timing a couple of degrees and turning the two adjustment screws a quarter towards the open position. I don't think the prop has anything to do with the lack of RPM's.

I'll post something tomorrow.

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:33pm
Ken, I saw your email. If you get a chance, grab the List number off the choke horn. It should be somewhere around here:

Im assuming its a stock 351w replacement either from SkiDIM or Correct Craft, so it should be a 600 CFM 4160. The Holley tech line will be able to ID it for sure based on the List #.

Its quick and easy to dial in the timing. We can verify youre getting full advance- it sounds like the stock dist should be getting 20-24 degrees on top of the base (can anyone verify that number?). Based on what youre seeing though, Im with Chris and think there may be an issue with the secondaries. Beyond that, I couldnt tell you what to adjust.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:41pm
Tim,

I'm going to Natick to go pick up my boat and timing light. I'll get you those numbers. What about the accelerator linkage piece that opens the secondaries? Can that be adjusted to let more fuel in? Tim, we also need to check the throttle linkage to ensure I'm getting max throttle.

This is a 22 hour carburetor, so I assume it's not wear and tear.

Ken
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Nautique2001 Nautique2001 wrote:

What about the accelerator linkage piece that opens the secondaries? Can that be adjusted to let more fuel in?

No. That closes the secondaries

Tim, we also need to check the throttle linkage to ensure I'm getting max throttle.

always a valid check
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 2:19pm
Sounds like Ken and Hollywood have lemons. Tell you what, I'll give you $2500 a piece for them, and I'll even get them back to CA at my expense. You can use the money for a down payment on a shiny new boat with all the power you need. Just trying to help a brother out. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 2:33pm

and turning the two adjustment screws a quarter towards the open position.
Ken

wouldn't do that at all you do not have a rough idle issue and adjusting the screw will not effect off idle performance like your having.

Check the cable adjustment first to verify WOT at the carb, then move to the timing set it at 8-10 inital and then see what the timing is at 2500 rpm should be around 30 degrees after that you need to focus on fuel delivery and when and if the secondaries are opening.

Kevin, I'll be in the countryside area? electromotive diesel plant next week and I might be able to stop by and help you out if you want.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 2:39pm

I think we'll start by advancing the timing a couple of degrees and turning the two adjustment screws a quarter towards the open position.

Ken, these are the idle mixture screws. Adjusting those won't do a thing for the WOT issues that you're having.

One thing to check is to take a paper clip and put it on the secondaries linkage. Take a run at WOT and as the secondaries open up, the paper clip will slide along the linkage and stay there when you throttle down. You can manually open the secondaries (with the engine off obviously) then and verify that they are opening all the way.

Also pull your plugs and check them to make sure that you're not running too lean or rich. You again take a run at WOT for a few seconds and just turn off the engine before you throttle back. That will ensure that you get a good indicator of the plugs at WOT and not idle or mid-range.

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 2:39pm

Hollywood,

Pretty mind boggling issue. The engine runs like a top until you hit the high 3,000 RPM band. I'm sure you feel the loss of throttle response like I do from 4,000 to about 4,300.

I never thought to check the position on the throttle cable. I'm pretty positive the timing and carburetor adjustments aren't jiving. I think we'll start by advancing the timing a couple of degrees and turning the two adjustment screws a quarter towards the open position. I don't think the prop has anything to do with the lack of RPM's.

I'll post something tomorrow.

Ken
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Kevin, I'll be in the countryside area? electromotive diesel plant next week and I might be able to stop by and help you out if you want.

Thanks Chris, I would take you up on that offer except I will be out of town all of next week, as well as most of the week following. I will be buttoning up the boat tomorrow night to get ready to run which won't be until the 19th. This is an embarassingly late start for us, although I have been skiing several times this year already.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:27pm
I just took a couple of pics. Not sure if this helps determine which model it is:

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:29pm
Pull off the arrestor and get the damn numbers off the air horn already.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Sounds like Ken and Hollywood have lemons. Tell you what, I'll give you $2500 a piece for them, and I'll even get them back to CA at my expense. You can use the money for a down payment on a shiny new boat with all the power you need. Just trying to help a brother out. BKH

Brian, I'll trade you straight up!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Pull off the arrestor and get the damn numbers off the air horn already.

Be right back, I'll go grab a wrench...
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:47pm
Try not to drop the nut down the carburetor...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Ooops. Kidding...

SAE J1223
75009-3
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 3:51pm
MM, you don't know the difference betwen a nut and a bolt? I would expect that from blondie but not you.

I also forgot to mention how much I like the looks of that annodized arrester. Classy.

Originally posted by LakeHoliday LakeHoliday wrote:

Okay, I just got this back from the folks at Holley (I really didn't expect to hear back from them so quickly):

The List Number 75009-3 is actually a Holley Marine carb model 4160 600 CFM.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:03pm
You like the gold look? Gives it a little pop.

So is the 4160 a decent carburetor? I just need the thing to spew as much fuel as possible at WOT. What's the trick with this little monkey? We'll be on the lake in T=90 minutes....

Ken
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:04pm

Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Ooops. Kidding...

SAE J1223
75009-3

Holley tech says its a marine 4160 with vaccuum secondaries, 600cfm (just like we thought).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:08pm
Tim, I hope you're taking notes here. Hopefully it's something simple.

Maybe this woman is hidding in our bows, Hollywood.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic