Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

misc transmission questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: misc transmission questions
    Posted: May-07-2007 at 9:32pm
I was running the boat (w/water) in the driveway this evening to make sure everything was in good shape for the weekend. I noticed the driveshaft would occasionally start rotating while in neutral. Is this not a big deal, or is it an indication of a problem?

Also, was planning on changing the transmission fluid for the first time. The label under the engine box indicates Dexron II, but I have no idea what the previous owner put in it. I've read it's bad to mix types...should it be safe to drain whatever is in there, and fill w/dexron mercon III? Any particular brand?

Thanks for your help!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 7:46am
Use dexron Mercon, you will get some whats called "oil shear" between the plates and its normal, it will drag the plates a little, most times it will go away when the boats in the water and you are at oper. temp.
if it refuses to stop then you have warped forward clutch plates and you've lost your forward pack clearance and this is due to slippage and heat
"the things you own will start to own you"
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 9:57am
I was just going to post the same question. Mine spins too in neutral. If you grab the shaft it is easy to stop it. When on the water, I wiggled the lever attached to the shift cable and it would stop spinning when I held the lever in a certain spot. It looks like there is something that I can adjust on the cable end to have it return to this position. Should I adjust the cable end? I would rather not have it spinning in neutral, last year we wrapped a rope when we though we were in neutral.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:06am
Mark - I noticed the same thing. It seemed that if I would briefly rev the engine towards reverse (still in neutral) it would stop the rotation, but if I did the same towards forward it would continue. Made me wonder if something was a little loose/slipping with the cable. Thanks Eric for all the trans feedback.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:16pm
when I build these trannies for ski boats i set the forward clearance on the high side due to this reason, especially for the people getting in and out of the boat, if you do build these yourselves the spec is .018 to .053 clearance and of coarse on a 71c or 10-17 model they are not adjustable unless you know someone in the transmission business that can get you a special designed thinner steel to obtain that .053 clearance
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:36pm
Yes, Eric that's good info. I wish I had this forum when I rebuilt mine. Everything went fine except I had difficulty measuring the clearance while reassembling (wish I would have had an arbor press. Wound up with the clutch pack a little too tight so I always creep forward, no real nuetral. I thought eventually the plates would wear a bit and it would loosen up. You get used to it though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:03pm
good winter project for you, I get alot of guys calling me to buy parts for these trannies and I'll ask them if they know how to rebuild them and of coarse the answer is yes and they think Ive insulted them, and yes they are very simple to rebuild but there are alot of little tricks that you learn over the years and its things that you wont find in the manual and im happy to pass on the info to you guy's on this site.
I dont use the press anymore on the forward pack as you stated, I simply heat the outside of the drum and then slide it right over the cylinder, thats more of a time saver than anything, but just to give you an idea over the years with all these tricks we can usually rebuild 2 a day.
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 8:30am
Thanks for the info Eric. I know what you mean. I was encouraged to do the job and I've done quite a bit of "wrenchin" (mostly because of a limited budget) in my time. Mechanical things don't scare me. It's the electronic modules, sensors, computers, etc.. But, as far as my tranny goes, it's been great since the rebuild, with exception of the "creep". It can be challenging when docking, you get good at feathering into reverse. And, most importantly, the motor is never running if anyone is close by in the water.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 9:53am
Yes but what about adjusting the cable? Should I do that?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 11:01am
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

Yes but what about adjusting the cable? Should I do that?

Maybe. If you can adjust the cable so that the shaft doesnt spin in neutral and the throttle still engages fwd/rev properly, go for it.
Jake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

Thanks for the info Eric. I know what you mean. I was encouraged to do the job and I've done quite a bit of "wrenchin" (mostly because of a limited budget) in my time. Mechanical things don't scare me. It's the electronic modules, sensors, computers, etc.. But, as far as my tranny goes, it's been great since the rebuild, with exception of the "creep". It can be challenging when docking, you get good at feathering into reverse. And, most importantly, the motor is never running if anyone is close by in the water.

So.....what address can I send my tranny to?

This site is so imformative. Love it.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 4:10pm
Jake just hit the www button on the bottom of Eric's posting and you'll have all the info you need
Jake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Jake just hit the www button on the bottom of Eric's posting and you'll have all the info you need

Perfect. Now I just have to find the wife's checkbook.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 9:05pm
Mark Mel,the reason it will will stop the shaft is you maybe be hitting the reverse side a touch and it is sarting to apply the pack, on the Borg warner or even on any trans you always want the lever adjusted to the detent, dont try to adjust by "feel" or dont adjust to where the shaft stops.
you will see the spring and ball on the shift lever side and must be detented when shifter is in forward in nuetral and in reverse, if it is a touch out you will not get full apply pressuree to the packs and you will possibly slip the trans.
If you are really having a problem with dragging and you feel the clearance is tight i will send you the plate you need and explain the how to set up the pack. or if anyone is rebuilding thier own trans you can ship the forward pack to me and i will set it up for you, just pay the shipping. it is a safety issue and its so much nicer to control the boat when you have a good clean nuetral
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 9:11pm
another good rebuild tip....
if you rev the engine and the trans stops turning or.. you rev the engine and the transmission starts turning, this is an indication of weak return springs, If someone wants to take a stab at why this does this go ahead.......................
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 10:02pm
Eric,

I think I may have a "creep" problem too. same thing as mark-mel describes. I can grab the shaft and it will stop. I didn't think it was a problem. may be why I am having a hard time docking. I'll have to look at the cable next time I'm out.

I may be up your way tomorrow. I still have your hole saw and want to get it back to you. are you going to be around? I may stop in and see you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 10:25pm
Beware randy, Ill put you to work
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 10:32pm
Eric,

I guess I could put together a couple trannys while I'm there.

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 12:50pm
Stop by my house in chippewa on your way so you can take care of mine!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 7:45am
bhp, are you from chippewa too?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 11:04am
Yes. I'm going to give you a call here in a few minutes.

Tim
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 11:06am
?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 1:18pm
did i miss the call?
i forgot my remote for the garage so i didnt get in here till 9:00
Martinique87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martinique87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 3:16pm
Eric,

I've got the opposite issue on my rebuild of a 71c. After rebuilding it it worked fine with the exception that when I put it into gear, either forward or reverse, the engine would rev a little before it engaged. I would estimate half a second from when it "clicked" on the control to when it actually engaged.

My two assumptions were either fluid level or damper plate. Either of those I'm fine with correcting but the points you made about cluth clearence got my attention. Could that be the issue?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 9:04pm
could be a control valve problem or a pump clearance issue, you can troubleshoot it with a pressure gauge and see whats happening, you can call me and I'll explain in detail
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 9:33pm
randy- make another pit stop after tims and tune my stereo system..i have alot of bass coming through the insides..id like to try and eliminate that so i can send more power to the highs/mids..maybe we can get this sub to pouns harder also..needs a tweaking!..im leaving for memorial day weekend that friday and want her to perform at her best!......if not no big deal at all, i may take it up to the local stereo place and have them do it..
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2007 at 10:05am
Ryan,

I stopped by Eric's a couple days ago... I would have stopped by, had I known. give me a call, maybe I could stop out some evening or weekend and get it tweeked for you. I know, we never did get to do that...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2007 at 10:31am
Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

randy- make another pit stop after tims and tune my stereo system..i have alot of bass coming through the insides..id like to try and eliminate that so i can send more power to the highs/mids..maybe we can get this sub to pouns harder also..needs a tweaking!..im leaving for memorial day weekend that friday and want her to perform at her best!......if not no big deal at all, i may take it up to the local stereo place and have them do it..

Can't really do anything with a boat stereo, just too big and open. Put it in a garage and it will sound good. The only thing you can do it put a bimini on to reflect some of the bass. I used to have 5 amps and all kinds of crap in mine. Almost everything is torn out now since I put a decent stereo on the pontoon.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2007 at 10:50am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

another good rebuild tip....
if you rev the engine and the trans stops turning or.. you rev the engine and the transmission starts turning, this is an indication of weak return springs, If someone wants to take a stab at why this does this go ahead.......................

Maybe inertia of the platetary upon reving causes the output shaft to reverse.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2007 at 9:39pm
Gottaski, your the only guess, well sometimes the remaining oil in the forward pack when spinning at higher rpms because of the centrifical force the oil flings to the outside of the drum and will actualy start to apply the pack by pushing on the piston, this normally happens when the return springs are weak and cant overcome the force. Thats why its a good idea to always change the springs during the rebuid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic