NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

neutral Safety switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: neutral Safety switch
    Posted: May-10-2007 at 10:11am
Is it difficult to install a neutral safety switch?
Lisa
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 10:18am
Lisa, No, it is very simple. It unscrews like a pipe plug and then there are 2 wires that go to 2 terminals on it. Anyone can do it except for maybe the guys who did the first stringer replacement for you! Tell us why you think it is bad.

Anything on the second stringer repair yet?

neutral safety switch

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 10:47am
Hi, when they returned the boat in December the boat wouldn't start. They bypassed the neutral safety switch in order to start the boat. It is also a problem caused by the stringer guys. When I left the boat with them it started on the first crank. Just figured I had better replace that too. Thanks, Lisa
Lisa
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 10:50am
That looks very easy. Where do you get them? I am going to see the guys on the second stringer repair this Saturday. I will have update by then. Thanks, Lisa
Lisa
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 11:05am
Lisa, a maladjusted transmission cable could easily be the cause as well. Try moving the shifter slighly in either direction to see if that makes the starter engage. All it takes is a small movement of the engine or the re-routing of the cable to require a re-adjustment.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 11:17am
Lisa, Yes do try moving the shifter slightly like Tim recomends but they could have also broken the switch when they pulled the engine. It's sort of expossed on the transmission. You can use the link here on our site to Skidim or give them a call. Tell them what year the boat is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2007 at 11:45am
Thanks, they have 2 types. I just have to measure the diameter of switch when I go see the boat on Saturday. I really appreciate all your help so far. I love my boat but after everything that has happened this past year I wonder if I am doing the right thing spending so much money and effort on repairs. When I post on this forum and get everyones advise and concern. I really know that I am doing the right thing...repairing the boat. It is so nice to talk to people that share the same passion for cc's.
Lisa
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 7:52am
if you need one i have either style, post a address and Ill send one to you, make sure you know which one you need

make sure you have that adjustment checked as pete said, you dont want to burn up a trans from mis-adjustment
its rare for those switches to go bad so dont assume its the switch, ohm test it and check everything out
"the things you own will start to own you"
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 9:12am
I am going to see the boat on Saturday; however, I am not sure that the engine will be in the boat yet. I have a feeling that the boat might still be in pieces. I was thinking ahead on the neutral safety switch so that when I pick up the boat I will be able to crank it and get it straight into the water. The job is sounding a little more complicated than I had imagined. I don't want to burn up the transmission. I have the transmission re-built once already and that was not cheap.
Lisa
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 9:47am
Am I able to check the adjustment myself or do I need a pro?
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 10:43am
Thats a loaded question which i cant answer
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 2:34pm
Is it still a loaded question to ask how do I check the alignment?
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 5:45am
I posted an alignment topic in i believe the maintanance section or off topic and it is very helpful, if you look at and dont understand anything please post a question and i will try to answer, it is titled Alignment
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 7:30am
Originally posted by laoboy laoboy wrote:

Am I able to check the adjustment myself or do I need a pro?

Lisa, I feel the problem is that we don't know to what extent your are mechanically challenged! The trans adjustment and the alignment is realativly simple to most but!! - It wasn't to long ago that someone posted the question on how to do the alignment and we started to explain it. The max tolerence using a feeler gauge was stated and then he came back and asked what a feeler gauge was! Someone then had to post a picture of a feeler gauge. This in turn generated Erics thread on alignment.
Have you looked at the thread on alignment yet? My feeling at this point is that you would need some help with the alignment but, whoever is doing the second stringer repair should be doing this when they put the engine back in the boat. They can also adjust the shift cable.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 6:32pm
as Pete stated that is also part of the job on the r and r of the engine, i would make damn sure that it is checked on install, question them thouroughly and approach them on how much it was out and what they did to correct it, if they say to you it was fine then i gaureentee they didnt check it, they also should return the boat with the neutral safety switch operating as it should, we never did find out what your mechanical abilities are
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 8:12am
Thanks everyone. I went up to see the boat this Saturday. It is still in the same condition that I left it six weeks ago. I did see the switch. It is the larger one. I didn't realize that i should ask them to put on a new one since they didn't break it. I told them that I would get a new one. My mechanical abilities are limited. I think asking the boat shop to adjust the alignment sounds like a good idea; however, I will definetly still read about the alignment just so I can ask them all the right questions. Should I go ahead and get a switch just to be on the safe side? I can't loose anymore lake time once the floor is finished. We always boat on Mothers Day. This time we had to picnic on the shore. It was killing me. I am becoming increasingly more frustrated as the weather gets warmer.   Thanks again for all your help and advise. Lisa
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 9:16am
if you need a switch I'll send you one, it will be used but it will work. call me if you need it 877-369-6693 eric
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 9:56am
Thanks, Eric. I will call you after work. I was just about to read your instructions on the alignment. Lisa
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 10:17am
I can also send you the updated switch with the right cam and cover, let me know
   eric
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 11:35am
Okay, so now you will know how mechanically challenged I really am. Are we discussing a maladjusted transmission cable or the alignment of the prop shaft? Also, any ideas where in Georgia I could get someone to check this so that I don't burn up my transmission. Thanks, Lisa
Lisa
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 7:16pm
What part of Georgia you in...
NO LONGER A MEMBER
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2007 at 11:53am
I am in Marietta. Most everyone I called in the area and at Lake Lanier don't want to work on an older boat?
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2007 at 1:23pm
Lisa, Did something happen with the guys repairing the stringers the second time? I know that you had gone to see the boat and said nothing had been done in 6 weeks. Are you looking for someone else now?

I can't understand why no one will work on a 74. It must be nice to have so much business that you can turn away work!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2007 at 3:26pm
They said that they are going to start this week. I am going to go back up and check again this Saturday. I am reluctant to try and find anyone else because I got burned so badly on the first repair. This shop is very busy and many people trust them with their boats. I am being patient because of that. Also, I don't want them to cut any corners if I rush them. I really miss my boat though. Lisa
Lisa
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2007 at 3:29pm
I wish I knew why people won't work on an older boat. When I say '74 they tell me that they don't work on anything older than an '82??
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 7:28am
To me, all boats no matter the year are pretty much the same. In fact the older ones without all the fancy electronics in the dash and on the engine are simpler. It must be a Atlanta thing where the "mechanics" don't understand the basic principles of a internal combustion engine.

Lisa, I want you to call Tom Riggle at 770 287 7737. He is a Blue Ridge ACBS chapter contact and lives in Oakwood (Gainesville), Ga. Tell him what your problem is in finding someone to work on your "older" boat and see if he has any ideas. I do not know the person but got his name out of the ACBS directory (You can tell him that's where I got his name and #). By the way, ACBS is the Antique & Classic Boat Society.

I just looked at the chapters again and found that the Dixieland in Chattanooga is close to you as well. They do have their own web site so here's the link:
Dixieland ACBS

Hey Reid, You're in the Dixieland chapter!! Any ideas?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 9:51pm
Thanks, just looked at the link you gave me.
I will give Tom a call. Gainsville is not that far and I'm sure that that they will be able to recommend honest, dependable people that will work on my "older" boat. I am going to call him tomorrow. Lisa
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 9:51am
Lisa, If you don't have any luck finding someone through Tom, tell me and I will get you more names.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 6:00pm
Hi, I left a detailed message for Tom and I am hoping to hear back from him. I will let you know. Thanks again for your help, Lisa.
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 7:18am
Lisa, Haven't heard from you in a week and was just wondering if you have any news about the boat and if Tom ever got back to you with ideas on a mechanic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic