NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hummingbird depth finder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hummingbird depth finder
    Posted: May-12-2007 at 2:40pm
Does anyone have any experience with the Hummingbird depthfinders? My 97 had one when I got it, and I did something to screw it up. It has 3 buttons...an up arrow, a down arrow, and one that says "set". If you press set, it scrolls through a screen that says "shallow" and "deep", which you can then set with the arrows. I got it to display the current depth, but "deep" constanly blinks at the bottom of the display, and right next to that, "shallow" is always on. Any idea how to make that stop, or what any of it means?

Rob
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 6:39pm
I just put one in.

here is a link to the manual: Humminbird HDR600

if you hit "set" until it says "deep" and then hit the down button until it says "off" do the same with the shallow.

these are alarms you can set to warn you if you are in too shallow or deep water. (although the deep alarm kind of puzzles me... who needs a deep alarm?)

you can also set it up for an offset to compensate for the placement of the transducer to the water level.
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 11:34pm
Randy,

You said:
who needs a deep alarm? - Fishermen, it is a fishfinder, after all. We just use them as fancy depth finders.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I hope you take it in the good-natured way I meant it. But you are right, for guys like us there is no such thing as too deep. I always only set the shallow and turned the audible warning off.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 11:39pm
At least your Humminbird works. We have to offset ours by the maximum possible offset since it only reads 1.6 ft at all times. Very crappy unit with a long history of failures.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 1:39am

I don't understand why you would think I would take offense to your comment. Perhaps you have me mixed up with someone else.

That makes sense. I didn't think that a fisherman would use that type of depth finder.   

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 1:43am
M3, maybe you should try remounting the through the hull transducer. Mine seems to be really accurate. you may just be on a bad spot on the hull.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 8:28am
I'd have to agree with Joel, mine reads fairly accurately at depth but when I need to rely on it in the shallows it's never right. I've done soundings with my anchor to check it out and it's alway off, thought it was the mud botton of our river throwing it off but it's the same at other lakes as well.

Randy, the deep alarm is for installations in submarines
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 10:03am
You mean to tell me you guy's dont have down riggers mounted on your transom?
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic