Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aligning Dampner Plate To Fly Wheel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skier49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aligning Dampner Plate To Fly Wheel
    Posted: May-15-2007 at 9:20pm
Getting ready to reinstall fresh rebuild in boat. My question is what is the best way to realign the dampener plate back to the flywheel so the transmission will slide into bell housing easy.

Thanks George
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2007 at 9:28pm
If you have a access hole such as your starter hole or so on, leave the damper loose and install the transmission then go back in and tighten the bolts
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2007 at 5:24am
Eric, I feel that 49 is asking about the alingnment of the damper to the flywheel and not the trans to the damper.

49, The damper plate is bolted to the flywheel with shouldered bolts. IE: the threads don't go all the way to the head. The shoulder matches a close tolerance hole in the damper and the counterbore in the flywheel. To get the splines to line up, a little twisting of the trans may be required.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2007 at 7:24am
alot of the dmpers wont use the shouldered bolts and can move one way or the other, that is why i use the trans to center the damper when possible, the trans pilots to the bellhousing and the bellhousing should be dowel pinned the the engine. leaving the bolts loose and tightening after installed gets the damper completely centered with no chance of side load on the trans input or the damper, or is he talking about getting the shaft to go into the splines?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 9:28am
I just put a new damper in mine. Put the damper on with the bolts finger tight. Put the trans on and tightened two of the bolts as much as I could.. Pulled the trans off and then tightened all of the bolts. Tightening all of the damper bolts through the starter hole would be tough. I thought about doing it that way but did not have the time to make the correct tool to do it.

Tim
skier49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 4:12pm
Thanks for the suggestion on how to align the damper plate to the flywheel. I also need to know what the torque spec is for tighten the fly bolt to the crankshaft and the damper bolts to the flywheel? What about the transmission bolts do they get tighten to a torque spec also?

Thanks for all your help
skier49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 6:19pm
I received my new damper plate from Skidim today when I did a fit check and the damper plate didn’t fit the flywheel like the old dampener plate did. I have a PCM 1.23 transmission; the rib it heads doesn’t fit in the counter bore of the flywheel. Also the OD of the damper plate is larger than the DIA. the starter ring is pressed on. Skidim recommend bolting the plate to the flywheel and allow the sheet metal to flex approximately ¼ of an inch. Would his cause any problems for the damper plate or transmission?

Thanks George
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 9:08pm
are the springs touching the flywheel? the 1.23 is a one and only coarse spline and that damper is made to only fit PCM transmissions for the ford and chevy engine, i have not run into this problem but something doesnt seem right, if anything i would space it to get rid of the flex, can you snap a picture for a better understanding?
skier49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:11pm
The springs of the damper are not touching the flywheel they sit in side the counter bore of the fllwheel. It will slide on the spline of the transmission ok. I am reinstalling a rebult 351w in the boat. The file size of my camera is to large to up load to th
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 11:01pm
skier49, email me the pic. I will upload it to my website and post a link in this thread. jim@drivesys.com

jim
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 11:47pm
skier49's damper:

http://www.electricaltrainingusa.com/damper1.jpg

http://www.electricaltrainingusa.com/damper2.jpg

Only two of the files you sent me will open??
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 11:58pm
(Is this a cool forum or what?)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 12:05am
do you have the correct face facing the correct direction? Looks a little big and might have issues with the starter.
skier49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 12:23am
Jim, Thanks for posting the photos, I sent 2. The damper plate is labeled to identify which side faces the transmission and it the side that is up in the photograph. One of my concerns is the starter gear hitting the damper plate when engaged.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 12:35am
well you could mount the flywheel to the crank with the dampner plate mounted to it and mount the starter and check out any clearance issue you might have even turn it over if you want just leave the coil wire off so it doesn't start and have someone else run the ign switch while you what the starter engage.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 7:01am
I think you need the triangle style damper, i just ordered one yesterday, in no way should you have to make that damper you have fit, by bolting it down you will be putting stress on that damper somewhere, something is wrong and i think it is the incorrect damper,
I'll look in the book today. of coarse i know its a 3 day weekend if thats what your shooting for.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 7:23am
Here's the link:damper plate

Check for the proper splines on the trans.
This is a Sachs brand damper. I feel, and Eric has confirmed, that it is better built and heavier duty that other brands. The one shown has 7 different mounting hole patterns so they claim it will fit almost anything. Some trimming of the OD may be required on smaller flywheels. The link I provided is cheaper than Skidim.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 11:42am
pete, thats a normal 26 spline for Borgs, you have to go through pcm for the 7 spline damper, i recieved mine today and its the same as skier49's, now what, i'll keep you posted. and by the way if you need a borg damper...call me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I think you need the triangle style damper,

Eric, you were the one who mentioned the triangular damper! I did know they have different splines for different tran's. I didn't know that you had to go through PCM for the 7 spline though.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 8:40pm
the only way i can get a damper for the pcm transmissions is through a pcm distributor, which they eventually will come out with a aftermarket damper, probably from Sachs or Lipe but for now, i recieved the round damper and was told it is the direct replacement for the older triangle style PCM 7 spline
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic