Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop shaft coupler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prop shaft coupler
    Posted: May-17-2007 at 1:36pm
Won't budge...any good tricks for breaking apart this rusty mess (and cleaning up)?

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 2:56pm
Did you try anything like gibbs or pBblaster???
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 3:39pm
Might have to remove the bolts first....
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 5:42pm
I was thinking the bolts too...dont use a torch you'll catch the boat on fire, I hope there is a better reason for taking it apart then to clean it... good time to check the alignment
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 5:51pm
I think it looks pretty clean like it is - but I live on the salt water so what do I know about clean...

Here's a dangerous tip, and if you get hurt I am not the one who suggested this - it is some stranger using my computer:

Run the boat at idle in gear and hold a wire brush on the coupling. Be sure to tie your hair back first (if you have long hair). If you are short on time run the boat up to 5000RPMs when doing this. Disclaimer: I am not an expert and I do not know what I am talking about.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 6:05pm
we'll tell the legal team, Jim told him to do it,
we were just talking about a guy 2 days ago who got his hair caught in a lathe and it scalped him.
actually i would do the same
"the things you own will start to own you"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 7:22pm
Seen woise...

Try a rubber deadblow hammer

else
Remove the bolts, lower the front engine mounts one turn exactly, and turn the prop, put the engine back.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2007 at 8:42pm
Nice Jim! Actually the purpose was to check the alignment. I had a decent amount of vibration last year. I know the prop was part of the problem - that is now fixed. I haven't been on the water yet this year so I'm not sure that cleared it up. Thanks for the tips.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 12:30am
I hope everyone knows I was kidding. It's my perverted form of humor. Please do not get in there with a wire brush while that shaft is spinning. You could lose a finger or worse...
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 8:59am
When I pull that off the first time I always index the shaft on the coupler and face the coupler on the lathe. Unless you know the coupler and the shaft are perfect there is no use trying to line it up. Use lots of antiseize when you put it back together.

TIm
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 10:29am
I have not tried this...but...what about loosening the bolts, launch the boat and hit reverse hard? the torque and pull of the prop should break it loose...maybe....
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 11:12am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

I have not tried this...but...what about loosening the bolts, launch the boat and hit reverse hard? the torque and pull of the prop should break it loose...maybe....

I'd be afraid the prop would continue back right into the rudder, unless the collar is set properly on the shaft. Either way, with all due respect, I'd have to say this is probably a pretty bad idea.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 11:44am
Well, I said loosen the bolts, not remove them. The bolts still being in place would prevent the prop from hitting the rudder.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic