Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone tried Mini-Craft Aerosol?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone tried Mini-Craft Aerosol?
    Posted: May-17-2007 at 9:11pm
As I'm almost finishing up removing the bottom paint off of the hull that was put on by PO. I've noticed a couple spots where the black and yellow gelcoat upper colors are showing through the white of the hull. This must have been done when it was being roughed up to create bite for the new paint. Anyhow, I don't need much to cover these spots. There are a couple spots that are about 1x1". I was wondering if any of you have tried the mini-craft aerosol and any tips to applying it?

Steve
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 5:04am
Steve, Yes I have used it with very good results. It is pricey when you have to buy the pump for the catalyist but for small jobs I'd say you're better off than setting up the gun to spray. Do not expect it to spray like normal spray paint. It is true catalyzed gel and sprays like it. It will have tons of orange peel that will need to be hard block wet sanded and then buffed. Are you thinking of doing this on the 92 SN? Mini-craft should have the color mix for a 92. I know older boats they don't. The color will be damn close but not exact due to the virgin color of the get changing over 15 years. (it can be blended in to the surounding gel). If you go this route, I'd be happy to give you a few pointers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2007 at 10:39am
Thanks Pete. Well it has been ordered... Silver Cloud. I was figuring that it was a little expensive for a couple spots, but it beats ruining a gun and forking out for a pint of gelcoat. Besides, I'm sure the pump will get used again. Other people, other boats, Etc.

Steve
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2007 at 9:58am
Originally posted by ripster92 ripster92 wrote:

Thanks Pete. Well it has been ordered... Silver Cloud. I was figuring that it was a little expensive for a couple spots, but it beats ruining a gun and forking out for a pint of gelcoat. Besides, I'm sure the pump will get used again. Other people, other boats, Etc.

Steve

Are you sure silver cloud is the correct color for a '92? I believe my '90 is white. My dad's '03 is silver cloud, and when we put the boats next to each other his is significantly whiter and cooler in color.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2007 at 11:49am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Steve

Are you sure silver cloud is the correct color for a '92? I believe my '90 is white. My dad's '03 is silver cloud, and when we put the boats next to each other his is significantly whiter and cooler in color.

Rip, Did you give Mini-Craft the hull vin for them to look up the correct color?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 9:50am
Thanks for the heads-up. I looked on the 92 brochure in the reference section. Silvercloud was mentioned. Now that I look at it, they were refering to the upholstry. I hope I'm right??? If not, does anyone need a can of Silvercloud?
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 10:04am
I see that in 90-91 they offered white or cool gray. In 1992 they didn't offer a choice. I'm hoping (but probably wrong...) that this was when they switched to the first Silver Cloud. Mini-Craft had a Silver Cloud and a "new" Silver Cloud. We'll see I guess...
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 12:54pm

I see that in 90-91 they offered white or cool gray. In 1992 they didn't offer a choice. I'm hoping (but probably wrong...) that this was when they switched to the first Silver Cloud. Mini-Craft had a Silver Cloud and a "new" Silver Cloud. We'll see I guess...

Not sure if the naming of the color changed in '92, but the color itself is very close to the 90-91. The lighting isnt very good, but our former '92 is on the left, my '90 is on the right.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 4:46am
Steve, Before you mix up the gel that you bought, I would do some checking on the color. On the boat is not a good place to see if it matches and once you inject the catalist into the can you have commited the can to only about 3 hours of use.

How about posting some pictures of these low spots in the gel that you want to repair.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 9:43am
I can post some pics when I get home from work. I've emailed Mini Craft to find out the color. I should have done this in the first place... I didn't know that they would go off of the hull #.
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 6:14pm
Here are some pics of the burn-through spots on the hull. Pete, can you give a guestimate on how much a can of this stuff will cover? That is, spraying a reasonably light coat over existing gel. I was wondering if there was enough there to do the entire white of both sides (below the black stripe).

1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 5:24am
Steve, The aerosol doesn't have much pigment in it and is fairly low viscosity so it's sprayable from a can. It will take multiple coats to cover these spots plus extra to wet sand the orange peel. Count on the one can to handle the bad spots but that's about it. You will want to spray a fairly light coat then wait about 10 minutes for the solvent to flash off then spray again. Keep repeating this untill you can't see the black anymore and then spray some more for the sanding. Remember you have about 3 hours of pot life in the can. If you get a run or a sag, don't worry because after it's cured it can be wet sanded out. A word of caution: My first time using the stuff, I ended up having to order more! The first time you do anything is the "learning curve"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:53am
Ripster, did you hear back from Minicraft? Im curious if you got the right color. Boat looks good without the bottom paint, by the way!

Heres a pic where you can see the difference in color (white vs. new silver cloud). My deck has been restored to the original color (lots of wetsanding). Put it next to my dad's boat though, and it looks yellow.

ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 12:56pm
Thanks TRBenj, It's slowly getting there. I've replaced 2 bearings in a Matco DA. (Evidently they don't like being upside down all of the time. I think the condensation collects in the cap instead of exhausting out the side) I just got the reply from Mini Craft and of course it's wrong!!! I'll order the CORRECT one, but I'm debating using this one as sort of a primer coat to lighten the rub-through, then going over the whole bottom side white with the correct color. Does this sound like a stupid idea?
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 11:19am
Steve, If I were to make a educated guess,I would say on a properly preped surface (not trying to cover up any bad spots) the can will do 15 sq. ft. I think you should sell Tim the can of the wrong color!! Then concentrate on your bad spots with the correct color.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 11:29am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I think you should sell Tim the can of the wrong color!!

Only problem is my '90 is the one that needs the gelcoat work, not the '03!
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 8:57pm
90 or 03... They're both clean lookin' boats TRBenj!
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 8:58pm
How do these posts get so wide???
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 11:16pm
Tim: Real nice garage!

Who is the guy on the dock in the barefoot suit?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:16am

92, Hate to say it but you did it!! If you don't size your photos down to message board size, the photo will use up the width of the thread. The same will happen on multiple picture postings if they are posted side to side rather from top to bottom. If you use photobucket for downloading, you can resize to message board.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:18am

92, Hate to say it but you did it!! If you don't size your photos down to message board size, the photo will use up the width of the thread. The same will happen on multiple picture postings if they are posted side to side rather from top to bottom. If you use photobucket for downloading, you can resize to message board.

oops! I just took another look and it was Tim who did it with his side to side pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:20am
Well, Now I screwed up with a double post and can't deleat it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:26am

oops! I just took another look and it was Tim who did it with his side to side pictures!

Yeah that was me and my oversized picture.

JBear, the garage is nice- that's my parents house. My dad is the one on the dock.
ripster92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripster92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:31am
Pete,thanks for the info on the picture sizes. I'll remember to keep that in mind... Sometimes these get hard to hide at work
1992 SN Black w/ Yellow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic