Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! Electrical problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! Electrical problem
    Posted: May-22-2007 at 11:21pm
We recently replaced the dash panel and now I have an electrical problem that I can't figure out. Everything appears to be wired exactly like it was prior to removing the panel and it corresponds to the wiring diagram in the ref section (as far as I can tell).

My problem:
We were water testing the boat on Saturday when I heard something and the gauges all pegged. I immediately shut down and switched the battery and all accessories off. We were able to re-fire the boat after looking for anything major. Once started we noticed we had no gauges. Now, with the ignition breaker on, when I push any other breaker/switch that draws current (blower, lights, etc) the gauges all peg. When I push the horn button the gauges peg.

What I've done:
I've removed all the indicator lights on the dash (these were the only electrical items touched when we removed the dash), I disconnected every wire from the grounding block. Nothing changes.

Other clues/findings:
-There was a draw on the battery before the problem showed and I had a dead battery in about a day. I know, I should have chased it down then.
-We ran the boat for about 45min on the fake-a-lake prior to the water test. Other than the voltage gauge showing low voltage (about 12V at idle, would climb to 15+ at speed) the boat ran fine. Boat will still fire and run, just no gauges.
-The purple wire on the dash(switched power) actually shows ground at the indicator light for the breaker. When I use the test light on the indicator light wires many of the ground wires show power.
-The alternator was slightly warm for some reason tonight, I removed it...no changes.
-I see no burnt wires nor did I see/smell anything electrical when the problem popped up.

I expected to find something simple/stupid that we did to cause this but I can't seem to locate the issue. I'm not really that good at diagnosing electrical problems so once I get passed the easy stuff I'm lost. I have borrowed a multimeter, but have no idea how to use it or what to look for with it...most of my testing so far has been with a generic test light.

I have 10-12 ppl coming into town this weekend and had planned on having the boat done. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Ryan
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 11:40pm
look for one of the ring terminals or a terminal touching each other that shouldn't be you have a short some where that's why it poped and all the gauges went out. You need to pay close attention to the position of the terminals as they are mounted to the gauges.

Sounds like your abought due to replavce the alternator and wiring harness to me.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 6:29am
Nothing in the gauge cluster was touched, but I'll take a look and see if maybe one of the terminals has come loose.

Alternator is brand new, as is all the main power/ground wires.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 8:58am
Ryan. Make a work copy of your electrical diagram and then start checking wire by wire. Use a highlighting marker to mark the diagram for every wire you have checked. With a popped breaker and the gauges pegging, something is wired wrong. Be patient!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 3:29am
Ryan, from all that you've described it sounds like you have more than one problem. One thing I think I can pick out though from what you are saying is that you are missing a ground. You should never be able to read voltage (any measurable amount) on any ground wire. That is of course with the common lead attached to the negative battery post or engine block (that should be your reference). That being said, you have a disconnected ground wire that should come from either the engine block or the negative battery post to the dash. Or maybe this wire is burnt. Either way, it sounds as though you are not getting ground to your gauges. I don't believe this is the cause of your battery draw though. Something else is causing this issue. What kind of a sound did you hear?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 9:38am
I don't remember what exactly happened on the water. I'm thinking it was probably the alarm going off that caused me to shut down. Neither the engine breaker or any of the dash breakers tripped.

We did have some luck finally. We narrowed it down to the nav light circuit. What is strange is that all I did was remove the 'switched on'/output side of that particular breaker and everything works fine.

It was late so we were happy that we at least have some progress, now I'll have to trace each wire in that circuit to find out what is causing the short.

Thanks for the advice/support.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic