Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’99 Air Nautique is very hard to steer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
powelwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powelwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’99 Air Nautique is very hard to steer
    Posted: May-27-2007 at 11:39pm
I'm a relative newbie to this forum, and to inboard boats in general, and I would appreciate some quidance.

I recently bought a used 1999 Air Nautique with only 38 hours on it. It was in excellent condition and I got a great deal. I've just started actively using the boat and I've noticed that the steering is very hard. It's like trying to drive a car without power steering, but twice as hard. At high speeds, small turns are very easy, but at lower speeds, I have to "muscle" the steering much nore that I would have ever anticipated.

This weekend I had an experienced Nautique skier in my boat (but he was non-mechanical), and he said the steering was way to hard.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance,

Walt, LovinMyNatique, Powell
Walt Powell
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 1:05pm
Walt, try searching threads on steering in this forum for some ideas. Probably with so few hours, it sat a long time and froze up the steering.

First unhook the steering from the rudder and see how it turns. If it's turns free, then you probably have a rudder issue instead of steering cable. But I'll bet you it's a cable issue. Try getting some grease on the cable where it attaches to the rudder, and also up at the helm. Work it and see if that helps. It made a huge difference in mine this spring. You may end up having to replace the whole cable, which isn't too tough--skidim.com

good luck
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 2:16pm
Walt, the dude has a good point about unhooking the cable from the rudder arm. This will tell you where the extra effort is going.Pretty sure it is not the rudder,after the cable is free , try the rudder if this moves freely, herein lies the problem.
If you spend any time trying to "fix" to me it's foolish,it is also very dangerous.Call Vince and order a new cable the 200.00 is cheap compared to the CRASH.Just remember you have no brakes on a boat, only good steering and a throttle,do you want to eliminate a vital part of your safety,STEERING??????
powelwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powelwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 4:01pm
Dear "The Dude" and "boat dr", thanks for both your suggestions. Not being mechanically inclined, I wouldn't attempt to fix the problem because I would not have a clue how to go about doing so.

However, you both made 2 simple suggestions that I feel comfortable trying to "tackle" myself. First, do you unhook the cable from the rudder under the boat, or is it inside the boat in the motor compartment?

Second, I'd like to try adding the grease also. Just using the boat this weekend helping to losen up the steering, but it's still hard. Where are the grease fittings? Is there one under the steering column and another where the cable connects to the rudder?

Thanks in advance.
Walt Powell
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 9:50am
Sounds like a cable to me. Adding grease may help a little, but replacement is really the way to go. Not all boats have the grease fittings either (most dont). Disconnecting the cable from the rudder (one bolt) will quickly tell you where the problem is- and I bet you its the cable.

Last time I talked with SkiDIM, they dont carry steering cables for CC. Theyre oddballs- they come in strange lengths with long throws. Best to go to the dealer- White Lake has great prices and service (and offers a 10% discount).
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2011 at 8:03pm
If you need the cable, check with Nautiqueparts.com and/or N3boatworks.com (neither are sponsors of this site, yet, but they should be able to help).

- Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Tadpole View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2011 at 10:23am
My 93 started steering real hard like yours. I ordered a new cable and put it in myself. There are other posts on here about how to do it. My boat now steers with one finger and it feels like a new boat. You can do it yourself, believe me.
1993 Ski Nautique
Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 5:12am
Take the Boat Dr. advise! I would say that the cable is 100% bad. I've never seen a helm or rudder be the cause of stiff steering(though they could have some effect, not likely in your case). Steering cables can not be repaired and repair should never be attempted, they are way too easy and cheap to replace. Your steering will feel like cutting into warm butter when you're done. When you're ready to do it, there is plenty of advise here on the site. Good luck!!
Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2011 at 5:29am
Walt,
I know the '99 pretty well if you need direction accessing the steering cable back to the tiller arm.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic