Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

At Wit’s End with GT-40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At Wit’s End with GT-40
    Posted: May-28-2007 at 4:00pm
My GT-40 EFI. is still giving me grief. Here is a list of what I have done. New plugs and wires, cap and rotor, 2 new relays. New Fuel water seperator filter. Cleaned all the screens on the fuel system. Used fuel injector cleaner. Any ideas from anyone. I'm getting ready to maybe sell it. Fuel pressure is a bit low. Should I change the low or high pressure pump? Any help is appreciate.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 4:22pm
any symptom beside grief?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 4:33pm
Sorry, the boat hesitates infrequently. Usually it happens when accelerating, or running close to wide out. Its very unpredictable when it will happen.
bbrech1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrech1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 9:36pm
Are you on the origional tank of gas from when it was winterized?
Brad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 9:43pm
It did it all last season also. I may try changing the low pressure pump. Will this help?
advsouthwind View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote advsouthwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 10:16pm
Before spending anymore money try to break it down to fuel or ignition. See if you can get your hand on a fuel pressure guage then get the specs from cc.Go run with the guage attached and watch your pressures.If everything seems ok on the fuel delivery side then jump on the ignition side of the system. Do your diagnostic tree as recommended in the cc service manual and try to pinpiont. Your may need a good DVOM or lab scope or find a good mechanic that is knowledgable in fuel injection.You will probably find it is something pretty minor.Fuel injection is a nice system after it is understood. Good Luck

gave up sea ray life for a 77 southwind 20 project just livin the dream
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 10:21pm
The engine is fed from the high pressure pump which feeds from the pint or so of gas in the FCC, which in turn is fed by the low pressure pump. Could it be the low pressure pump not keeping up in filling that FCC cannister? For a hundred bucks, you should have a spare LP pump anyway. Very common failure point.

Where in the fuel system are you seeing your low fuel pressure?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2007 at 10:21pm
Fuel pressure is about 5 psi low.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 8:44am
clean the vent/check ball on the gas tank.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 8:57am
Chris , don't tell him that,too easy. How many times do we fail proper trouble shooting ,after all else and we have run out of parts.
Vent only a couple of times,that anti-siphon vave[check valve] has gotten me several times,ruined a day and cost me a lot of greif............boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 9:05am
Where is the check valve located?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 9:18am
98, it is located at the fuel pick-up tube. That is the pipe that is inserted downward into your tank. there should be a 90 elbow then the anti-siphon[check valve]. they are some times S/S but most are alum,it will look like a hose barb fitting.
Remove the rubber hose unsrew the A/S and look for debris on the back side........boat dr
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 12:19am
I feel your pain..... New coil ( dealer recommendation ) on mine after all the other possible replacement parts possible to cure the exact same issue. Taking it out this weekend to see if it has been cured.

If not, then tank pick-up and fuel pumps are next.... I refuse to give up. When the boat is running good, nothing can touch it. Like a dang Ferrarri on the water.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 10:05pm
where does the coil go?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 10:36pm
Anyone have a part number from Ski Dim.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 11:56am
SkiDim part No. R0117008 PCM Coil

Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic