Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cylinder not firing?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Spe89 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spe89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cylinder not firing?
    Posted: August-02-2004 at 12:23am
So, heres the deal

I just bought my first '89 Barefoot Nautique model, with an '88 model GM in it, I have no idea what size or model number, but it seems to be running fine.
Alternator and starter were serviced, fuel lines, oil, oil filters, and spark plug cables were replaced, the distributor cap looks new.

The engine ran great for the first two days, and then suddenly sputtered and stalled once when giving half throttle. Now I cannot take it above about 1200rpm when in gear without it sputtering and stalling, although when not in gear it runs great past 3000rpm. I can only guess that maybe one or two cylinders arent firing or something... I get no backfires or any signs that my timing is off. Any help?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2004 at 4:03pm
I would guess that you have a 454 since it is a barefoot nautique they usually put big blocks in them and for the sputtering check fuel pressure and the carb also check the fuel and water seperator.
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2004 at 3:50pm
you should be able to tell if it is not running on all eight cylinders because if it was running on only six you could not get full power out of the engine no top end. I would suspect possibly some thing in the carb or fuel system. The engine to jump time it would have to sheare a tooth off of the gears because the engine was built with a gear drive on the cam.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic