NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weird engine problem when warm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
logicsound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird engine problem when warm
    Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:20pm
ok, so i finally got my boat running again, I put in the electronic conversion and the boat (87 martinigue 351windsor) starts perfect when cold, but after about a hour on the water it will stall when you try to take off but it will start right back up...then after about 10 minutes longer it will stall if u let off the gas and idle, then it won't start...it trys to crank a couple times then it wont even crank..it just cranks for a split sec..like its got a dead battery...so after paddling back to the dock pushing the boat on the trailer...then letting it sit over night..it will start right back up in the morning. So everyday we take the boat and get 2 runs in and then get back to the dock before it starts acting up..very frustrating..alot of people havd told me its the carb..but why would it not crank?

thanks for all your help
T
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:32pm
Unplug the coil wire and see it cranks normal. If so, too much initial timing.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bill1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 10:26pm
sounds like a problem seen here alot lately. check out the advice i have received (topic - holley carb problem). i am getting my timing and dwell checked in the morning. maybe some of this
will help you. bill1
bill
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 10:47pm
probably a coil breaking down when hot.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 12:29pm
ok so maybe I jinxed myself...because now it won't start..it just clicks once. had the battery tested and the alternator tested.. The coil is new with a internal resister and the stock resister is bypassed. But now it justs clicks and the battery cables are really hot and start smoking (scary!!!) As far as I can tell the negative side at the block smokes and the both the pos and neg smoke at the battery...also after you try to start the red lights on the dash will go dim until you turn the key off and back on..taking the starter out to get tested but it sounds like my problems lie elseware....thanks for all your help
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 1:02pm
update: I thought I would try and bypass the solenoid before I got the starter tested...When I try to bypass the solenoid I just get sparks..and the jumper cable melts to the solenoid....(also scary) I read in a thred that to bypass the solenoid...to attach a jumper cable from the two big red cables that attach to the solenoid..I only 2 big black ones...one that comes from the + of the battery and one that goes to the started..are these the rights one to jump..?
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 2:01pm
I'm NO expert... but it sounds to me like your starter might be bad and drawing way too many amps to try and turn it. I've seen that before in cars I've owned. I'd pull the starter and have it tested.

FWIW... Joe
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 2:14pm
just pulled it, going to have it tested right now...will update
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 2:41pm
ok got it tested..it blew the fuse on the bench test at advance auto parts, after a couple times..then I told him it was a marine and he tested it reverse polarity . And he said it sounded tight, it still spun the starter but it stopped as soon as he pulled power..he said it's suppose to spin a little bit after.. so where is the best place to get a marine starter ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic