NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

another starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another starting issue
    Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:04pm
i pulled the intake today to do some work on it then put it back on. Got the boat started and timed correctly at 8 let it run for a minute or two to warm up then shut it down. i could hardly get it to start back up. tryed backing the timing off and it seemed to help but didnt fix it. i have the mercruiser thunderbolt 4 ignition that seems to be working ok. When i tested the spark off the coil it was organge not blue like i wanted but after i let the engine cool i was able to start it again even with the spark still orange. so i tried putting a different coil in and the same thing, orange spark and hard to start. the funny thing is it seemed to start fine before i pulled the intake. just a side note i also noticed my prop shaft turning while in neutral. Any help would be great.
Thanks Bobby

there's no replacement for displacement
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 10:00pm
When trying to restart the warm engine, did the engine turn over slowly or did it just not fire up?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 4:24am
it seemed to turn over just fine. it would hit one or two times then nothing else. Could i have a leaky intake gasket?
Thanks Bobby

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 5:59am
From what you are describing, it sounds like you could in fact have a leaking intake gasket. And the reason for it starting so easily when cold is due to the extra fuel being drawn in when the choke is closed. Did you re-use the same intake gaskets? If so, replace them. When you do get it fired up, see if it will idle without feathering the throttle. If it does idle try spraying some starting fluid or WD-40 around where the intake bolts to the heads. Do this while it's running and listening for a change. If the engine speeds up or slows, you've found your leak.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 1:48pm
yes. i am ashamed to say i did reuse the same intake gaskets. but i did put RTV sealnt around all of the watter jackets. i was in a hurry and as usual what you do while in a hurry ends up costing more money and time in the long run. i just wanted to see if it could be anything else before i went yanking the manifold AGAIN.
Thanks Bobby

Lorenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 12:10pm
Intake manifold gaskets can be an issue.

You really should not reuse the intake manifold gaskets, but if you are in a pinch, and gaskets are out of reach, here is what I've done.

First, use Fel Pro or similar gaskets with the orange or blue silicone seal around them. They can sometimes be used a second or third time with no problem.

On the regular style or even Fel Pro style gaskets, smear a little white grease or wheel bearing grease on the area that needs to seal. It will help make a seal.

Use a torque wrench or have a really good feel. To often people tighten the screws too much.
Lorenr
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 10:55am
i changed the gaskets and tourked the bolts down. i can tell a big defference but it is still hard to start after i let i warm up? i did notice that the carb was leaking fuel down into the manifold when the engine was not running, but i only let it sit for about 10 seconds before i tried to restart. Would that be long enough to flood the engine? it does hit quicker and alot more since i changed the gaskets.
Thanks Bobby

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 12:16pm
Yea you have to much fuel pressure or leaky needle and seats in the carb. My carb was rebuilt but the stock pump was making to much fuel pressure so I installed a cheap fuel pressure regulater and all is well.
bwooton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwooton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 3:51pm
thanks, i will try that and see if it helps.
What kind of psi do you run? i dont want to lean out.
Thanks Bobby

JasonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:56pm
When you removed the carb did you keep it upright? Also I would do a leak test on the gaskets to between the carb and the intake. I have used propane and starter fluid before also to see if there is a leak. Could be that you knocked something loose in the carb when you removed it.
'86 2001 800hrs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic