Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solenoid

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solenoid
    Posted: June-02-2007 at 6:59pm
Has anyone repaired the starter solenoid there self ? Or am I gonna have to buy the starter from skidim for over $200.00 Rebuilds around Dallas are almost at skidim price .I was hoping this might could be done myself. Thanks, Dan
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 7:28pm
Dan, Are you talking about the starter or the starter solinoid? Is your solinoid mouted on the starter or is it remote? A starter is around $200 but a solinoid is not. Have you determined if the problem is the starter by trying to jump the solinoid? I do know that many have had good luck taking their starter to a shop and having them fixed at a very reasonable price.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 8:14pm
Thanks for your help. I jumped it & it works that way. I have the original 1982 starter for a ford 351. I'm not sure if it's remote or not.The starter has the hump on top if that helps.I tried to look up solinoids on skidim, but I couldn't find them.How can I find out if it's remote? Thanks ! Dan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 9:32pm
Dan, A starter solinoid is basicly a high amp switch that turns on the power going to the starter motor. They can be located remote of the starter usually near other electrical components or they can be mouted directly on the starter. Besides the heavy wire going to the solinoid, there will also be a small wire that comes from your ignition switch to energise the solinoid.

The starter that you have from a Ford 351, is that the original from the boat? If so, what happened to it? You may consider having it checked out and repaired. Be carefull with proper starters for engine rotation. I wish I was more familiar with you engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 10:18pm
Is the starter relay the same as the selonoid.I know were that is. That's were I jumped it. There is one huge wire that goes in the starter & that's all.It goes from the relay to the front of the starter. Does anyone know if the hump on top of the starter is the selonoid.I see the hump has a metal covet that could be removed. This new one for my boat at skidim looks just like the one I have. Only mine is silver & old from 1982. Thanks.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 7:32am
replace the relay.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 7:38am
Dan, If you jumped the solinoid and it worked then the starter is ok. Now it is ether the solinoid or a problem with the power going to it to activate it. This could even be a ignition switch. You will need a volt meter to check it. Do you have a friend who can help?

Dan, I just read your post on 2001 and you gave them more info!! If you hear a click at the rear of the engine when you turn the key, thats the starter solinoid/relay energizing. Sounds like you need a new one as the contacts inside are probably bad. Disconnect the battery, remove the solinoid/relay and take it to the parts store and get a new one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 8:35am
The older starters are "plunger type" starters which do not have an electrical relay built in to them. They simply take one single thick input wire from the remote starter relay. The newer starters (early 90's and up) did incorporate an electric "relay/solenoid" actually on-board the starter itself. In this case the remote starter relay is still used, but not for high-amp switching. It merely sends a low-amp charge to the relay/solenoid on the actual starter. The starter itself has a hot 12V direct from the battery at all times with a 2nd thick wire on these newer starters.

AFAIK, all Ford reverse-rotation starters are the old plunger-type starters and the starters do not have an integrated relay of any sort.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 1:09pm
The terms solenoid and relay ,apply to different electrical devices.
A solenoid is mounted on top of the starter connected to the starter drive. Once the drive is firmly engaged in the flywheel, the contactor in the solenoid applies full baatt. voltage to the starter motor.The easy way to determine if you have a solnoid is, the battery cable goes directly to the starter from the battery.
A relay, as used on the above pictured starter, is normaly found on a Ford engine.A relay has the battery cable ran to one side, then another cable going to the starter.
Two different systems for different starters.Some solenoid starters use a relay to apply extra amps to the solenoid switch wire,the little wire to the inside of the barrel...............boat dr

Hope this confused you, as it was ....
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 2:14pm
Thanks guys. I got the relay for $8.00 I was reading the Ford relays have been around a long time. Chevy muscle car owners install the ford relay on there Chevys when the starter acts up. I will post if it works , I'm off to install it now. Dan
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 10:21pm
Well I put on the Autozone Duralast relay/solenoid (part # F496)as recomended on the car forums. The posts had bolts already on them so I used those to hold down the wires. It didn't work & made the started stick.I knew I put it on good so I returned the part for the same relay/solenoid. I guess they sold me an opened one cause the 2nd on had extra bolts & a paper saying don't remove the bolts already on the posts.The second relay works great! Thanks for the help. Dan                                                                                                   SOLENOID/RELAY HELP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic