Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

thermostat help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermostat help
    Posted: June-03-2007 at 1:11pm
so I've been having an overheat problem that seems to be worse when going faster than slower (over 34 mph).

I've checked everything including the sender and gauge and decided to change the thermostat. 142 degree pcm from skidim for my 1990 nautique.

when I pulled the old one and put the new one in I tested the old one on a pot of water and it opened. I didn't have a thermometer though.

fired up the boat with the garden hose and it proceeded to overheat as usual with the new thermostat in. it will get up to around 190 and might hit 200.

I pulled it out and ran the boat without one and the temp stayed at 152 or so. no overheat.

I realize that this should indicate a thermostat problem, but I then put both new and old thermostats in hot water pre boil. and they both opened and then closed when you pull it out.

I am lost now, because the new thermostat from skidim is doing the same thing as the old one (looks to be original) when in the boat and in a pot of hot water.

please help!! how are they supposed to open and how fast, what do they look like when opened properly? could it be the housing? I don't notice anything in it...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 8:15am
Im not convinced that this is entirely a thermostat problem. 152 is awfully hot to run without any thermostat in place, though I guess it depends on how hot the water is coming out of the hose. How's the condition of the impeller? Id guess that flow was restricted somewhere- either by a bad impeller/pump or a clogged water passage. It wouldnt hurt to get a thermometer and verify the temp that the stats are opening either.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 8:36am
the impeller is perfect. the circ pump works as it shoots water out. I've bypassed the intake, water strainer and tranny cooler while on the trailer to get these readings. It may actually run cooler in the water as the garden hose doesn't make a perfect seal to the intake that leads to the RWP.

I am going to bypass the RWP next and see if that changes anything.

I will try and get my hands on an infrared thermometer to see what temp actually is. and one for the water to see what the thermostats are doing.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 11:59am
would it be okay to run the boat without a thermostat if the temp is actually over 150?

I want to verify the actual temp first of course.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 12:21pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] Im not convinced that this is entirely a thermostat problem. 152 is awfully hot to run without any thermostat in place, though I guess it depends on how hot the water is coming out of the hose.   Id guess that flow was restricted somewhere- either by a bad impeller/pump or a clogged water passage.QUOTE]

Remember that the temp sender is only picking up one spot on the egine. It may be a average temp so I would worry about like Tim says a clogged passage someplace.
I remember when I worked at the marina in my youth, we had a intermittent overheating problem on a old flathead 6. Now the cooling circuit on one of them is extreamly simple but it was driving our mechanics up a wall. They had tried everthing short of tearing the engine apart and boiling the block out. They gave up and gave me the project. I started disasembling and finally found the top of a acorn in the pickup hose. Sometimes it would lay flat against the pump nipple and other times it would turn side ways allowing water to the engine. Over the winter, a squirrel had nested in the boat and must have thought that the open hose was a good spot to put the top of a acorn!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Michel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 10:17am
How can you check if the senders are working correctly?

My engine always feels "cold" but runs fine. (I think it uses too much fuel though)
The gauge points always full left on the scale. There is enough water going trough the engine.

What could be wrong?

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:24pm
I'll go along with TRBenj, look for a restriction. Without the thermostat, the temp gauge will barely move off of its minimum temp indication when running with water hose. Look for a restriction between the outlet of the RWP and the thermostat.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 7:32pm
no restriction. I bought an infrared thermometer and it never showed above 141. when the gauge was showing 180-190+.

funny because I went all over the gauge and sender and they seem to act normally. I will replace the sender and check the ground for the gauge.

thanks for all your help guys!

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 7:39pm
make sure you are getting a marine sending unit for the sensor, automotive sensors run on a different resistance and will effect the reading like you are seeing now.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 9:59am
thanks! I will get a marine sensor from skidim.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic