Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need you to steer me in the right di

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
doubleup16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need you to steer me in the right di
    Posted: June-04-2007 at 2:41pm
So I have an 84 2001 SN that will only do left hand circles! Sounds fun huh?

Last time I was out I was turning around to pick up a skier and when I went to straighten up....nothing. The steering wheel went in circles and so did the boat. I'm pretty sure it is the steering cable but not sure. What can I check to see if that is the problem or not. If it is the problem how hard/what is involved in replacing it? Also approximate cost.
Thanks,

Noah
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 2:53pm
There are a few possibilities. Its possible the helm broke, but more likely the steering cable came detached from the helm or rudder, broke, or the clamp block came detached. My guess is the latter, having broken away from where it was mounted to the stringer.

If youre lucky and the cable simply came detached, then reattach it. If it broke, a new one will set you back about $250 from White Lake Marine with our discount (10%). New clamps are available from SkiDIM and probably White Lake as well if thats your problem. If you have a big hole in your stringer where it was mounted, you have bigger problems to worry about.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 9:08pm
Hey if it is good enough for NASCAR it should work for you too.
hasbeenskier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 9:12pm
TR- thanks for the reply. How would I go about checking if it just came loose? I thought I read somewhere about pulling up the floor whick might be easier than I know? to check/replace the cable. Let me know what you think.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 8:03am
You'll need to pull up the floor behind the engine. Just take out the motorbox and the back seat and the board will come right out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 11:10am
Hey that doesn't sound that hard at all. Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can get it checked out tonight.

If the cable is broken is it hidden in a sleeve? Is it most likely to break at the mounting point either from front or rear?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 11:17am
Don't mater, broke is broke.

If the wheel can turn and turn without locking within 3 turns, then the cable did not just become unattached, its broke.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 11:19am
Originally posted by doubleup16 doubleup16 wrote:

If the cable is broken is it hidden in a sleeve? Is it most likely to break at the mounting point either from front or rear?

Yes, the cable is inside of a hard plastic sleeve and it could break anywhere. Was there any sign of it being hard to steer before the mishap or having hard spotty areas of the steering that were tight? If so, the cable probably did break and needs replacing.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 11:46am
I don't recall any hard spots...but since the wheel turns freely much more than three times without locking, I would say that it is broke.

So I have visited White Lake and they don't ship apparently? So then I tried skidim but I don't know whick cable I need. I could probably just pick the most expensive one and that would be mine

Thanks for the replys guys. This is my first boat(at 23) so I'm not to familiar to it yet.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 12:25pm

So I have visited White Lake and they don't ship apparently? So then I tried skidim but I don't know whick cable I need. I could probably just pick the most expensive one and that would be mine

I would take a look at the rudder end of the cable and verify nothing has come detached before buying a new one.

Not sure why you think White Lake doesnt ship- I ordered from their website 2 weeks ago. SkiDIM doesnt carry Correct Craft steering cables- theyre odd sized with non-standard throws.

Youre right about one thing- the 82-90 boats use the most expensive cable: $275 before our discount.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 12:30pm
if you follow this link
http://www.whitelake.com/catalog/default.asp
on the right hand side in white writing with blue background it says WE DO NOT SHIP? So this is a new thing? any other place I could find it?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 12:57pm
Try their current site- that one is quite old:

http://shopwhitelake.com/

I know for a fact that they do ship. You can find the cable at any CC dealer, but you wont beat their price. I would make sure your steering block clamp hasnt come loose before you drop $250 though!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 8:05pm
So I was able to take a look at the boat. The cable is broken in half up at the steering wheel. Where the extra pushes through on the bottom I was able to remove a 24" section of it. So has anyone done a write up of the best way to install the new one?

Here is where it came from
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 8:40pm
Tape the new one to the old one and feed it through
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 8:53pm
from front to rear or rear to front? Does it even matter? Ho do you set up the correct amount of throw? or is it dummy proof and you just feed it through the steering box?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:09pm
Last time i did it i taped a rope to the rudder end and pulled toward the helm. Then taped the new one to the rope and pulled back toward the rudder. That way I didnt have to guide the bulky steering part thru everything.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Darrel Darrel wrote:

Last time i did it i taped a rope to the rudder end and pulled toward the helm. Then taped the new one to the rope and pulled back toward the rudder. That way I didnt have to guide the bulky steering part thru everything.

I did it the opposite way a few weeks ago- I thought the rudder end was bulkier. Probably doesnt matter which way you do it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:24pm
HA! sounds good. One more question. what is the discount code for white lake? I tried looking for it and searching but no luck. Thanks for all you help peeps!

Noah
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:40pm
I believe its CCFAN.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:25pm
If it's not CCFAN, try TRBenj

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 12:43am
Hummmm, that one doesn't seem to work.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 1:03am
When I did mine I just feed the end that goes to the helm thru the tube in the floor no need for a rope or anything to pull the new one thru just pushed it thru from the engine compartment then guided it to it's proper place once it came thru the opening under the bow. Pretty easy stuff.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 8:22am

Hummmm, that one doesn't seem to work.

Try PND.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 2:55am
Thanks to those who replied. I got the cable yesterday and got a chance to install it today. It wasn't to bad getting the new cable in, I just tied a string/rope to the front end of the old cable and pulled it out. Then reversed it for putting the new one in. Everything is back in working order and I'm ready for the water once again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic