Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Floor Repair Knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wakeboarderdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboarderdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor Repair Knowledge
    Posted: June-05-2007 at 3:18pm
I started a thread earlier about the floor repair and we found out so far that the stringer ends are bad. How much knowledge do you need in order to fix the stringers? We know nothing about fiberglassing or anything related to that. I would like to do something like skibum did but maybe not so elaborate, just good enough to get the job done.
Suthoff all the good times we had together will never be forgotten and I wish we could have been closer over the past few years. Watch over us all!
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 3:36pm
I think that most here that have done it, had no prior experience. They just dove right in. There is plenty of info on this site for a first timer to tackle the job and many willing to help you as you progress.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 4:25pm
If youre half-way handy, dont be afraid to dive in. Working with fiberglass isnt a whole lot of fun, but its not rocket science.

I was a first-timer when I did my partial stringer/floor repair last year: Rot
78skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 2:30am
check out my restoration project (which included replacement of the floor). www.78skinautique.zoomshare.com

I second the other posts. It's not that hard. I replaced my entire floor, and rebuilt a new one with out using ply-wood, or anything that should rot (other than one piece of wolmonized 2X8 to support the pylon), and I had never used fiberglass, epoxy, or polyester resin before this project.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 2:50am
Based on my experience it is possible that rot may be isolated in certain areas on your stringers. When you say the ends are bad I assume you are talking about the back of the boat. I would suspect you may have some water damage under the front seats and where the engine is mounted. You do not need to completely replace the stringers.

One technique would be to place a 2"x4" against the damaged area. Leave at least one inch of origional material above the bilge. Then mark the outline of the 2"x4" along the existing stringer and mark the existing shape onto the 2"x4". Next you just cut out that damaged area and replace it with the newly cut 2"x4".

Of course you need to cut away just a little extra so you can bond the new 2"x4" into position with a bed of epoxy resin and fiberglass mat. Then just glass the top and sides to water proof the repair.

It will be very strong, waterproof, and is not that hard. You can patch several times in this manner without sacrificing strength.

Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 12:52pm
if you do join 2x4's together make sure you make an angle cut or a step cut at the ends where they join together, this allows more contact surface and a better connection with the wood,
"the things you own will start to own you"
wakeboarderdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboarderdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 3:16pm
It's actually the area right in front of the motor box that is bad. Could anyone give me a list of supplies that I would need (types of fiberglass, resins, epoxy, etc.....).

Thanks

Dave
Suthoff all the good times we had together will never be forgotten and I wish we could have been closer over the past few years. Watch over us all!
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 4:32pm
Do a search on 'skibum'

There is about 10 pages of information on how to do this project. If you are near TN, I can refer you to a guy who will replace the stringers for about $2500. He does excellent work. You will probably spend $800-1200 in materials, so $2500 isnt bad for an experienced fiberglass person.

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 10:15pm
US Composites

This link will take you to the folks that supplied my project. As for a list of materials it really depends on to what extent you intend to repair...all or part of the stringers; foam; floor; etc...

If you email me with your plans I can send you a detailed list.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic