NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Dr. VS 1964 American Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Dr. VS 1964 American Skier
    Posted: June-06-2007 at 12:32pm
The project nears completetion,and not too soon.The Hi Teks required a new floor the floor new carpet, new carpet new paint new paint blah blah blah.......

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:12pm
Wow. That's turning into one fine looking ride Doc. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:15pm
Nice looking boat there Boat Doc. All of that hard work sure paid off!
Greg

86 BFN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:31pm
You guys keep raising the bar, it's getting hard to keep up.   Very nice, looking forward to seeing it in person.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:52pm
Posting pics after rub rail installation,I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.What is that noise ? I hope it ain't a TRAIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.boat dr

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:54pm
I dont know Doc, you sure seem to be milking this project. Why dont you water test her already?

Just kidding with you- I can tell you did a lot of work there. I have to admit that I was skeptical when I heard you were going with paint- but it looks beautiful. Lots of nice details all around. Cant wait for a ride!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:03pm
Tim, you have that in reverse,the project comes to a close soon.Karen wants to ride not look,lake test Sat.Timing, carb issues and a general run in to get ready for Green Lake.
Still am sure will have some bugs to sort out w/the cooling system,can't seem to get the water temp above 100 degrees.Raw water pump is making a lot of pressure,and think it is pushing the thermostat open,any ideas.
Am using a mech. water temp so as to know xact temp............boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Still am sure will have some bugs to sort out w/the cooling system,can't seem to get the water temp above 100 degrees.Raw water pump is making a lot of pressure,and think it is pushing the thermostat open,any ideas.
Am using a mech. water temp so as to know xact temp.

I assume youre just running on the hose right now. If youre supplying the engine with a good supply of real cold water, perhaps theres just not enough of a load to get it up to operating temp.

Have you verified that your stat is opening/closing at the right temp in a pot of water?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:40pm
It looks freaking awesome, makes me excited to finish my 83 and get back to work on the 67. The cooling system is a tough nut to crack on those older setups. Yours is clean and looks awesome I wouldn't recommend doing to it what I think it would take to get the temp perfect, however...   if it didnt push open the thermostat it would overheat the exhaust manifolds. I think you need a regulated bypass of the thermostat I think I have a thermostat housing with a bypass in it somewhere from an old interceptor, its not in great shape but it would give you an idea of how to modify yours. Basically I am thinking a whole next to the thermostat to allow a fixed amount of water through to the exhaust until the thermostat opens up after being heated.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:46pm
Nice looking boat. Would a higher temp thermostat have a stronger spring?
barr68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:53pm
Beautiful boat , trailer looks excellent also! Jim B.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:56pm
Joe,I drilled a 1/8 hole at the flange for this reason,to by pass a little water to the manifolds.Have an idea to reduce the pressure tho......
If you have the time give me a call and i will bounce it off you. Sounds to wild to even post.
Tim same stat that was it the motor for 5 years,I am only running mine in the lake,3 min. and she is in the water...boat dr

318 386 2825 billy
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:56pm
Wow, looks great. I like it much better with the correct windshield.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 3:03pm
The hole in the old one I have is at least 3/8 of an inch. My cell phone isnt working for sh*t here I will try to give you a call when I get home, or if I stop by there between here and the lake. I am scared of reducing the pressure at all I think you want to get as much water through those manifolds as possible. I never could get the old interceptor system to work rock solid steady temp and eventually added a circ pump and a bunch of hoses, but I got pretty close and can at least tell you what I tried that didn't work.

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 3:47pm
So this is the "trailer Queen" we've all heard so much about... not too bad boat Dr.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 4:00pm
Doc,
I hope you DONT bring that to GL! (it'll make mine look like cr@p!)...
    All I can say is WOW!!!!! cant wait to see it in person! ...btw...where did you get the windshield and wings?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 4:32pm
62, the boat was complete when I got it ,COMPLETE....
The windshield amd wings had a lot of crazing tho,cut the winga out of Lexan, and paid TaylorMade too much for a new W/S.
From what I was told by Gail Mae,no more extrusion,I got the last one.Was a lot to pay then ,but seems like a bargain now.
I need a set of hinges for one side tho, you got a set or know of????????????[wings that is].............thannxs..........billy
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 5:09pm
this for sure is the queen of queens, im surprised you even have it out in the sun,
she is a beauty
"the things you own will start to own you"
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 5:13pm
boat dr...it looks great, I now know how much work it takes to redo one of these boats, but when comes out looking that good its soooo worth it, I like what you did on the back of it that looks cool!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 5:24pm
MM, wanted to stay as close to original as possible, notice there is no stickers on the side, not period correct.
But the rear needed something, so a friend has a sign shop, we looked in the book and .....
I was a little leary of the rear and the LA numbers, but after the fact am pleased.....thanx for the positive feed back..........boat dr
The reason she is in the sun ERIC, is to cure out this single part PETIT PAINT,sets slow dries slow, lasts a long time,I HOPE>>>>>>>>>>>>
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 5:27pm
Boat Doc looking really good. Glad to see your almost finished. You get my email this morning?
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 7:56pm
What a beauty! I haven't read any of those posts on that Hi Tech thread yet...Now I know why it is pages long.All your work has really paid off. How did you apply that Petit paint? I do remember you built a makeshift paint booth, or am I thinking of someone else? I would be too nervous to put her in the "WATER".
Keep those pictures coming.

Another show winner!
Scott
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:24pm
Boat Dr.

Incredible, way to go! Man, I wish I could get to GL and see it in person.

Where's the coke can now?

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:24pm
Doc, I wouldn't even bother with the T-stat or other issues. I'd just cut your loses right now, sell her to reidp and wash your hands of it. You'll be a lot happier.

That boat is hot! I just rubbed the goose bumps off. I'm proud for you.

Was just coming in from a boat ride and missed your call last hour.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:37pm
see reid... It turned out alot better then you said it would...ha ha.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:09pm
it sure does look like we have a new 60's era winner on hand, but then he does have to but it in the water and run it no trailer queens allowed to win any catogory right?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:28pm
79, all this work is for two reasons,show is good.
Go is the reason for the Hi Teks and all the other goodies.Sounds as if you can't stand on cubes and cam alone. Why the talk of some exotic racing fuel.
My old clunker is running 87 octane,and a pair of old ford heads,will not nearly make the HP that rocket ship you have. But if you will spot me a few I will take some pics of your stern............boat dr
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:34pm
How much do those manifolds cost?
Tim D
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:43pm
Doc just have to have a little edge just in case their are some sandbagger's out there. Usually run 93 or 94 octane it just sounds better with the hightess fuel. The C14 isn't anything exotic just good old drag racing fuel for High compression motors, just mix it 50/50 with the other stuff otherwise you'll melt the motor
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 10:12pm
Tim D the Hi Teks vary in price depending on what set up your running and how you want them finished.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic