Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering on 94 sport

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering on 94 sport
    Posted: June-09-2007 at 10:37am
Hey everyone this is not your typical steering issue or atleast I couldn't find any threads with the same problem. My problem is that the boat seems to have a huge turning radius. I've driven several different inboards and this one is closer to the manuverability of an outboard. I wish I could give you a better idea of the problem but its tough to illustrate. So is this typical of the boat or is something off? I've only had the boat for about a year now and theres 550 hours. Thanks in advance everyone.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 11:17am
i would first check to make sure its the manufactures helm. if it is, then check to make sure its the right cable for the boat.

in my case i bought a teleflex flex cable at boaters world thats about 6 inches shorter than the custom cables CC had made for the boat. I lost some left hand radius that i cant adjust out.

just some thoughts - ive read on here before that early 90's had some helm/stering issues maybe your problem is a result of a PO trying to resolve a problem
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 11:24am
How would I know if it is the right cable for the boat? Also what do you mean by make sure its the manufacturers helm? Sorry probably rookie questions.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 11:27am
someone here on the forum will most likly know what model of helm and cable is on the boat - if not you can call CC with your Hull ID and they can tell you the component part numbers

77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 11:32am
i just did a search for - 91 steering - and found numerous post. i did another one for 92 and found more post - i think you might find some items to check in previous posts

good luck
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 11:57am
77, the helm is not the problem, PO put a normal cable on this boat. C/C uses a 10 in. travel for all their cables.This is the reason you have lost travel to port and starboard.Easiest way to determine is measure "THROW"
You should have about 10 in. from full lock to lock.If less,just replace the cable. As the helmis the same..........boat dr
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 12:20pm
thanks Dr atleast i know i was on the right track

there ya go skier12 - see how helpful this forum is - welcome aboard!
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 3:05pm
I've finally measured the throw on my steering and its 8 inches. The wheel lock to lock is about 3.5 turns. So according to boat dr its suppose to be 10 inches of throw. Is this missing two inchs going to make a big difference in my steering and how much would it cost me to replace it with the proper cable? I've been looking at replacement cables and not many specify the throw length.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 3:44pm
skier , the cable you need is a:
Teleflex model #SSC61??
The last two numbers are the length...
If its a 19 foot cable the part # SSC6119
The cable lenght is molded on you old cable............boat dr

C/C used a special cable in .5 foot lenghts,you will pay dearly for OEM cables.As you have a cable that is the right length the travel is wrong.............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 4:54pm
Skier, The extra 2" of travel will make a difference. You have got to think about it pushing the rudder arm a extra 1" in each direction. This in turn is going to push the rudder the extra degrees needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 8:29pm
Does anyone know the length a cable should be for my boat? I looked all over that cable and I didn't see it anywhere. Also the Teleflex model #SSC61?? has the 10 inches of travel I'm looking for instead of the 8 inches I have right now? Lastly since the helm is teleflex I would not need to do anything to accomadate this longer travel cable? Thanks for all the help.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 8:23am
Originally posted by skier12 skier12 wrote:

Does anyone know the length a cable should be for my boat?

Take a look at White Lake.
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 12:51pm
So according to White Lake if I get a 20 foot cable I should be all set. I tried to confirm this length by calling a correct craft dealer and the response I got was why should I tell you the length if your going to order it somewhere else. I've met alot of great people boating but dealers are something else.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 1:17pm
12, You should post the dealers name that gave you a hard time!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 1:19pm
Skier,

I'm told that CC uses a longer throw than othe manufacturers. This means that you cannot just order a 20 foot cable. The cable must be the right length, and the right throw. This is one of those parts that most people get from a dealer so they get it right.

White Lake is a Correct Craft Dealer (been so for over 50 years). They offer a 10% discount to planetnautique.com members. Membership to that site is free. SkiDim may also have the right cable. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Skier,

I'm told that CC uses a longer throw than othe manufacturers. This means that you cannot just order a 20 foot cable. The cable must be the right length, and the right throw. This is one of those parts that most people get from a dealer so they get it right.

White Lake is a Correct Craft Dealer (been so for over 50 years). They offer a 10% discount to planetnautique.com members. Membership to that site is free. SkiDim may also have the right cable. BKH

BKH is right on. SkiDIM doesnt carry CC cables- Id stick with a dealer to make sure you get the right one.
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 5:25pm
I've currently got a non CC cable in my boat because the throw is only 8 inches which means its either 19 or 20 feet. The cable works fine its just that the throw is to short. If I can replace the cable in my boat with one the same length but a 10 inch throw I'll do that.

But I still don't know the throw on the cable you mentioned above boat dr.

I don't want to name the dealer I called, but I will say I spoke with people at White Lake today and they were very helpful in answering my questions.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 5:38pm
skier;{ the SSC 61?? }this model is a 10in. throw or travel lock to lock.Measure the outside jacket and add 18"for Rotary Steering.

measure outside jacket add 30" for Rack Steering.........boat dr
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:41pm
Okay now i'm completely lost. I've gotten the part number off of the cable and its SSC 12479 which according to this thread is the right cable for the boat. The 19.5 foot length. http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5836

Did they make this cable in both a 8 inch throw and a 10 inch? Or is there some adjustment that I'm missing? I've measured over and over I definately have an 8 inch throw.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:59pm
skier, what part do you not understand......
the "throw" and the "length" are two different measurements,DUHHHHHH
Lets try this one more time,OK???????
The SSC 61 teleflex cable has 10 in. of travel,THE CABLBE WILL MOVE IN OR OUT FOR A TOTAL OF 10"
The cable you have now is a Teleflex #12419 not a 12479.Last two numbers indicate overall length of cable,the first two numbers indicate travel or stroke.........
you need part #SSC 6119..........boat dr

19 feet long w/10 in. travel, how hars is that??????????????????????
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by skier12 skier12 wrote:

Okay now i'm completely lost. I've gotten the part number off of the cable and its SSC 12479 which according to this thread is the right cable for the boat. The 19.5 foot length. http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5836

Did they make this cable in both a 8 inch throw and a 10 inch? Or is there some adjustment that I'm missing? I've measured over and over I definately have an 8 inch throw.

skier - yes they make the cable in a 10' throw but it is a custom product made specifically for Correct Craft. The fact that you have an 8" throw implies that the PO may have bought the standard teleflex cable at a place such as west marine or boaters world and not through a correct craft dealer.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic