Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

302 Ford cooling problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautiques1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiques1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 Ford cooling problem
    Posted: August-06-2004 at 1:39am
The 1969 ski Nautique I am working has a 1968 302 Interceptor 210hp. I just got it running last week and I noticed the left side manifold was very hot compared to right. It was hooked to a garden hose and there was equal amounts of water coming from each exhaust and the water was still cool. The temp gauge went to 160 and I think it should be 140. Where should I start looking for a blockage and where can I get a new themostat. Thanks Gavin.
Gavin Grant
Desbarats Ontario
Canada
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2004 at 6:28pm
The thermostat is easy; skidim.com, there's a link on this site for 10% off. I am sure you will find something else to buy! BUT, if it is only getting to 160, the 'stat must be opening.

Was the manifold too hot to touch or just really warm? Front or back? Were you getting enough water from the hose to properly cool the engine? The 351 in the '78 never gets above 140 on a hose. Could be there's a blockage in there but with the equal flow from each side, it does not sound right.
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2004 at 3:21pm
try the boat in the water some times they need back pressure from the lake to operate properly.
nautiques1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiques1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2004 at 5:09pm
The manifold was real hot and boat has not been in the water for 3 years so I will put the shaft back in and try it in the water. Thanks guys.
Gavin Grant
Desbarats Ontario
Canada
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2004 at 8:02pm
I don't have any first hand experience on this, but I thought I would throw it out for the experts to comment on.

Could the riser gasket be installed backwards?
I seem to recall reading that on the Ford engines, the riser gasket is designed to block the rear water passage, forcing the water through the front one.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2004 at 4:41am
You also have an orifice on the downstream side of the manifold. the brass fittings that screw into the manifolds inlet and outlet, if swapped might affect what you're describing.

I mistakenly swapped mine during a rebuild and turned some shiny new paint "brown".
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic