NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

first outing and find birds in engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first outing and find birds in engine
    Posted: August-14-2007 at 11:43am
Well, it only took me 2 months to find the time and clear weather to work on the boat again. Also, because we wanted to use it. Anyway, I ran the engine with the raw water pump removed and everything was quiet. What I did notice was that there was an excess amount of belt dust on the engine and bilge. So, I inspected the belt and it looke a bit worse for wear, but not terrible. I reassembled the raw water pump and bolted it on. Presto, the noise was gone.

My theory is that the belt must have rolled over in the pulley grove. Used the boat for a couple of hours without any unusual noise. Just wanted to put an ending to the thread.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 9:14am
Yep, that method works well and I already have an automotive stethascope. Still have not investigated further. If the noise is still present with the raw water pump removed I will use the stethascope to pinpoint the location.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 8:10am
David- this may sounds kinda funny, but I've used the stethascope method to locate pesky noises before. You can improvise one with a piece of hose and just hold it up to your ear. Then take the other end around all the areas you suspect- may help pinpoint where the noise is orignating from.
Good luck
-Brad
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 9:00am
I don't doubt that at all. Hopefully mine is obvious once I zero in on it. Now, I just need to find the time.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 8:47am
Don't be surprised if you cant tell its the alternator just by spinning it by hand, I just pulled one last night thats squealing at low rpms and seizing and slipping at high rpms and you would never know it spin it by hand.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 8:21am
Yep, very well could be. I did not get a chance to work on it last night. The raw water pump just spins too well. I am leaning toward the alternator. I may be able to tell just by spinning by hand. I let you know what I find.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 5:50pm
Alternator bearing?
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 4:25pm
Nope, no way. If that were the case, noise would not be present in neutral...it is.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 4:10pm
SOUNDS LIKE DRY PACKING IN THE STUFFING BOX, CHANGE IT OUT AND THE NOISE SHOULD GO AWAY
woodyelc
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 10:28am
No, the pump alignment was good and the belt was tight enough. Like I said, it was not a belt noise.

Without a screwdriver or other listening device, I could only listen for the location of the noise and I thought it was the raw water pump, but noise location can be deceiving.

This evening, I am going to fire the engine up without the Raw water pump installed and see if the noise is gone.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 10:21am
Have you dialed in the general location of the noise?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 9:34am
Did the RWP alignment look ok? Maybe if it was a cocked a little, it would cause some uneven load on the bearing. I assume you checked the belt tension (both belts)?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 9:27am
Well, after carefully winterizing a perfectly running (and quiet) engine last fall, I awaken it to find a nest of birds settled in. 30 seconds after starting her up (yes in the lake) for the first time, a failing bearing type squeal set in. Other than being noisey, it did not ruin our day, but I kept a close eye on the gauges...everything stayed normal.

My immediate thought was the raw water pump (that spent the winter on a warm shelf). So when I returned home yesterday evening, I pull the pump and tore it down. To my surprise, the bearing rotated freely and did not seem to drag or have any axial or radial play. Hmmm, maybe the noise is the circulation pump or alternator. Something I will check out this evening. Or, maybe the raw water pump bearing will squeal even though it "feels" fine.

Any thoughts?

PS: The noise is not a belt noise.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic