Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tuning help!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chata9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chata9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuning help!!
    Posted: June-13-2007 at 6:38pm
I have to give a little background on this problem, so please bear with me. I appreciate any help that I can get on this one. I have an '81 SN and I decided to upgrade from points to electronic ignition. Before the upgrade the boat ran perfectly... no issues in the last 3 years I have owned it. I probably should have left it as is, but anyways here are the upgrades that I recently did: Pertronix conversion kit with flame thrower coil (bypassed the B/R), New plugs (gaped at .45), new wires, new rotor and cap. Pretty much a basic install, or so I thought. I had trouble starting it, and once it was started it backfired on me. I adjusted the timing and idle which finally got the boat running pretty smoothly (off the fake- a-lake) Put it in the water and under a load it was missing terribly (could only get it up to about 30). I decided to inspect all the plugs and noticed that one of the plugs was fouled. I replaced ALL the plugs and the boat was no longer missing. However, I can only get the boat up to about 40 now at wide open throttle (before this upgrade I was able to get it up to 45 without pushing it (I have never had it at wide open throttle). Although it seems to be running OK, I feel a great loss of power. It is also harder to start when the engine is hot (even stalls sometimes after a re-start)

So now that you have the background story on this one (sorry it was so long), my question is: When I first did the install of the electronic ignitor and it backfired could I have messed something up in the carburetor? I have heard that I might need to replace the power valve. The carburetor was replaced new just before I bought it 3 years back.

I still have the old parts, but I would prefer not to put everything back in considering all of the dinero I put into it. Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 8:09pm
uhm, set the timing.

No, any carb built in the last 20 years has a check ball to protect the PV.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 8:30pm
I would double check the base timing and then look at the timing at 2500 rpm. You might have a problem with the mechanical advance or the conversin kit is installed quite right.
Chata9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chata9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 10:09pm
I have double checked the initial timing and it is currently set at 10 degrees BTDC. What should it read at 2500 rpm? Should this reading be taken in the water or can I do it with the fake a lake running?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 10:29pm
in the drive is fine should be around 30-35
Chata9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chata9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 10:39pm
Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow and let you know what I find out. Trying to get everything running smooth so I can take the old man out for fathers day.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 11:31pm
Good luck Chat, wish my dad was still around so I could take him for a ride.

I know this will make you crazy Chris but this is why the '80 still has the old set-up it had when you worked on it. I am to afraid to screw it up.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 12:01am
John just buy the parts and take it over to Mark's or Ed and I'm sure they'll be happy to change it for you or at least supervise while you do it.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 1:09am
I know you are right. Just gotta do it.

When are coming back down south?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 1:31am
july 4 thru 9
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 10:07am
John, you get the parts and we'll fix it up for you.

Maybe we should see about getting together for dinner some night while Chris is down????? If we get lots more rain, we might even be able to drop the boats in the water for a cruise!!!!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 2:43pm
Always check the simple things first. It sounds like you might have gotten a plug wire or two mixed up. It's easy to do, especially at the cap.
Chata9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chata9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 10:03pm
I have double checked everything. Wouldn't it miss really bad or consistently backfire if the wires were switched/crossed for some reason? It runs smooth right now, but I am not getting as much power as I used to get. I will double check the initial timing and at 2500 rpm and will report back tomorrow. Any other ideas for the loss of power?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 10:19pm
make sure you have the right firing order, and that the wires are not crossed.

If the right wires are crossed you won't be able to tell at idle but under load just like your having, it will show up. Double check and eleminate it from the equation.

also make sure all the wires are on tight at the cap and at the plugs. Push on the wire not the boot.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 12:24am
Eddie: You know I'll take you up on the offer. If Chris will let know what to get. I know he's told me before but I got a bad memory. To many years spent remembering counts, colors and numbers.

A get-together when Chris is here sounds great to me. Dinner at least. No way we can get boats in at Shipp. Or we'll just do a movie and dinner with the ladies again, if a good flic comes around.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 11:01am
Chata,

I don't think you mentioned if your engine is a Ford or not....all of my Ford info indicates a .035" gap for the plugs.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 11:22am
Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

Chata,

I don't think you mentioned if your engine is a Ford or not....all of my Ford info indicates a .035" gap for the plugs.

That's correct Walt if you're still using points. With an EI upgrade you can easily run .045".
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 11:34am
Eddie,

Interesting. I just thought .010" might be significant. I did the conversion last year....no one ever mentioned to change (or not change) the plug gap. Any other consenus on this?

Chata9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chata9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 12:34pm
I will check the firing order again. According to the manual everything is in place as it should be. I have also checked all of the connections to make sure that the wire is seated as it should be. Trust me, this problem is driving me crazy. When I first did the EI upgrade I had the plugs gapped at .045, but I could not get the boat to fire up. I then gapped them down to .035 and got it running (still missing though). After reading more on this site, I went with the concensus that after the upgrade the plugs need to be set at .045.... so that's where I'm at now. Hopefully tonight I will finally get a chance to double check the timing. Thanks for the help guys.
Chata9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chata9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 12:03pm
Well guys I have fixed the problem..... not the way I wanted to, but the problem is fixed none the less. I decided to take out that crappy pertronix EI and put the points back in. Either that part was broken or it was just a piece of s$&#. After putting the points back in, then adjusting the points (they were a little outta wack), adjusting the timing, then adjusting the carburetor, adjusting the idle, and readjusting the timing.... she's running better than ever. I wish that I would have never messed with the thing in the first place. All the hassle that I have been going through over the last month, and to think it was probably a bad EI. I will be sticking with the points until there is a need to put that thing back in... and I doubt that I will be going with pertronix.... bad rap to begin with and they can't even get their installation instructions correct... come on pertronix!
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 12:30pm
In your defence there is a certain expectation that when one buys parts they work!
glad you got it fixed!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic