NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MM, polishing your new manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MM, polishing your new manifolds
    Posted: June-14-2007 at 9:02am
I posted the below responce in another unrelated thread where you asked about polishing your new manifolds. I just didn't want you to miss it. This just gives you another option to doing it by hand which may be difficult.

MM, Save all the elbow grease and send them out to have them vibrotory finished. By hand it is going to be real hard to get down into all the detail and between the individual ports coming from each cylinder. If you are not familiar with the process, it's a big vibrating drum with different grades and types of abrasive media in it into which the piece parts are placed. It my take several stages of media to do it depending on the finish you want. They can take it out to a almost mirror but just like paint, the more the gloss, the more defects will be seen.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 9:28am
sounds like something my dad said he used to do back in the day. Said he knew someone who worked at the grain silos around here & they used to hang parts somewhere (not sure where)where the grain would flow, & you'd pull your stuff out & it'd be perfectly polished, everywhere.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 9:51am
Nate, Ground corn cob is one of the medias that vibrotory finishers use!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 2:02pm
Back when I was a dishwasher, we used to polish the silverware,(silver plated), in a device like that. It was a drum full of ball bearings. You'd put liquid in it with the silverware, and it would come out beautiful. I doubt there's too many restaurants that do that these days.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 3:19pm
MM,

When you finish polishing your manifolds are you going to polish Reid's Shaft? After that you should also think about polishing your knob!!
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

MM, After that you should also think about polishing your knob!!

Blondie can help with that! The poor guy would be too tired from doing the manifolds and Reid's shaft!!!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 6:32pm
Mark your not going to be able to get every where so don't expect to. Mine which are the same with different water inlet and outlet than yours but the area's your not going to be able to get very good are the sides of the runners everything else is accessable. I'll try and get a shot of mine to show you the areas the factory left a little rough and unpolished.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 9:22pm
You will need this
compound

and apply it to this and buff away

buffing wheel

or buy it as a kit

kit
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:59pm
Figures quinner would be the first to jump on the knob polishing.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 7:37am
alot of idle minds, for the record, Randy is the official knob polisher and i think his wife even caught him
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 8:49pm
Right you are eric, Randy holds the title of offical knob polisher here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic