Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I want to learn how to barefoot!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to learn how to barefoot!
    Posted: June-14-2007 at 9:16am
Ok so I've thought about trying this for a while, but watching the guys at my riding spot makes me really want to give it a shot. The only thing is, they have nice padded wetsuits, and ill be in board shorts and a jetpilot vest, which is not much protection at all. I'm sure it's going to hurt when I wreck, but I want to try anyways. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get up and what not?
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 9:23am
I'd say at least go & get a pair of padded barefooting shorts, they're meant to be extra padding underneath your suit, but they'll help you to figure out if its really something you can/want to do, without spending a couple hundred on a BF suit...u do it in boardshorts, & you'll have the cleanest rectum around. hahaha I'm not really the best person to give advice on how to get up as i just started last summer, so hopefully one of the other guys here will help u out... Good Luck!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 9:58am
Well SS, back in the early days, before they even invented the suits, we would go out with just a life belt (not life vest). Find someone with a boom. It makes learning to bare foot easier.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 10:18am
One thing to be careful of when wearing only a vest is the wipe outs can be pretty hard if not done correctly, if you hit the water hard feet first your vest could end up moving up your torso or completely off.

Like Pete I also learned stepping off a ski with only a life belt on so it can be done just be careful and make sure your driver and observer are paying attention and best case is get a boom or find someone with one, much easier to learn that way.

Check out Lane Bowers website, he has tons of instruction and video available to help you learn.

The Footers Edge

Good Luck!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:25am
Wannabe,

I think I have posted this twice before when this came up...but since you are relatively new and probably didn't see it, I thought I'd share it one more time. Learning to barefoot prior to barefoot suits, booms and all that other stuff that real men don't need.

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Oh, come on dchris, it's easy, just follow these simple to follow photo instructions.

step 1: put your foot out

Step 2: Simply step out of the ski

(PS...Before I hear any cute remarks about pink Speedos...
(1) it was the 70s and
(2) I was a competitive swimmer (high school)
and these were all any of us ever wore)

And actually it can be done this way without all the significant investment. When you get the hang of it and decide you like it, then go buy the suit and maybe a boom and so on. But trust me, the rewards and rush of learning "the old fashioned way" can't be beat. Jbear and a few others will back me up on that one.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:26am
And don't forget to grab the "jewels" on the first face plant Best of luck to ya !!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:39am
You really need to find someone with a boom. I've taught an eight year old to barefoot on the boom in half an hour. I also learned the old fashioned way and that just plain hurts too much. Like Quinner stated, check out the footers edge for basic body position and technique. Practice that technique on land and then try it on a boom. If you were located near Winter Haven, FL I would be happy to take you out and teach you.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:44am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

...that just plain hurts too much.

True, Eddie, but it makes you appreciate success that much more.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

...that just plain hurts too much.

True, Eddie, but it makes you appreciate success that much more.

Exactly!! Go Longline!!! it hurts for a while, but when you finally stand up, without ever using a boom...greatest feeling ever!!

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 12:36pm
Boom is the way to go!
But, if nobody you know has one & you're going to try it with just the board shorts & vest, I'd say go the kneeboard route (That step-off always scared the chit out of me! ).
Sit on the kneeboard, squeezing the nose between your legs. On "hit it" lean back and get your feet up on the nose quickely. This puts you close to the 3-point staring position and you can raise up from there.
We beat ourselves up plenty trying this off old 150hp outboards.
You still need to be careful of the falls though, when the neck/arm/waist openings of that vest catch the water its rough!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 12:41pm
Learning barefoot with the right equipment is extremely easy. I've taught several people how to foot on the boom within a couple tries. The right equipment and DRIVER is crucial though. Definitely try to find a barefoot suit and boom. You don't need that much speed learning on the boom, and you don't need to let go in a fall, which makes it painless (fairly). I'm a firm believer in the "superman" tumble-up position for teaching on the boom, rather than a boom step-off or a "deep" style start using the boom guy cables. The "superman" method seems to catch on the easiest for beginners.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 12:44pm
This is a great tutorial page for footing:

Footing Instructions
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 1:46pm
What everyone else said...
Idle over to the guys near your riding spot, tell them you are interested. Most barefooters will be more than happy to give you some instruction and a pull....if for no other reason than to see a rookie faceplant. Especially if they already have the boom out.
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 5:11pm
I'm checking out those sites now... The guys have a malibu barefoot edition and they are pretty good, they dont have a boom though. I've taken some nasty falls on a wakeboard and almost knocked myself out a couple times. I hope falling that close to the water wont be as bad as from 6ft up
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 5:40pm
I just had an idea, will my shorty wetsuit be enough protection to keep from cleansing my colon?
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 10:23pm
it'll sure help, not a barefoot suit, but it's definitely better than board shorts...

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 11:14pm
Larry: Sure did enjoy seein' the old pics again. Always brings a smile. I am glad for the way I learned, but feel that if an easier method (boom) is avalible why not take advantage of it. When we learned....few could foot.....for good reason. Now it is avalible to lots more people.

BTW: I like the speedos. Had lots of them myself.

Eddie: Sure wish this this guy was close. Best rush of footin' is to be able to share it...well maybe the second best rush!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 12:56am
hey wannabe ss,it is best to start the old fashion way,stepping off a ski,so that you can get the feel for it,i had two of the best teachers from the west shore water ski club in ohio.(the famous jbear and his brother bill,and also my dad,they were ruthless on us teenagers,me and my brother(14 and 12 at the time)they keep timing us and would let us quit until we got a minute on the stopwatch,i still have the plauque on my wall to remind me,that was 30 years ago,im still barefooting, but not as much as i used to,dan in ohio,
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 1:31am
Dan: It is nice to be remembered. I bet we had more fun with it than you guys did at the time. Sure is nice to have that plaque on the wall now tho. Wish I could help your son learn. How is the project boat coming?

Please remember to say hi to Scott and your Dad for me. Hope to see you guys at Norris someday soon!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 9:05am
How much would a suitable ski cost to step off of?
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 9:07am
$0. Pull one out of the trash. The flatter the bottom the better. You don't need a heel on the binding either. eBay is your friend with used waterski equipment. You should be able to score a good used barefoot suit for under $100. You only need one of these for deep water starts however.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 9:57am
Originally posted by wannabeSS wannabeSS wrote:

How much would a suitable ski cost to step off of?

Last summer, I graciously gave Ken an old drop ski I had had, literally for decades. I wasn't sure I wanted to give it away, even though I hadn't ussed it in years. You never know when my son might be ready to give it a shot, or someone else. Well the old adage "no good deed goes unpunished" did not hold true. A couple months later, I spotted a combo set of old wood Northlands in someones trash pile along the road, and waa-laa, two "brand new" perfectly good drop skis for me. Keep your eyes peeled Wannabe, and I am sure you will score as well.

If I could be so bold as to post another old post I have posted before, here is a video of a buddy and me. Shows step offs, deep water, and 2-ski jump out. Wannabe...pay no attention to my buddy wiping out when trying to drop his ski...I'm sure that won't happen to you. (har - har)

If you do go the step off route, a key thing is to get low into the "sitting in a chair" position. I think you can see that in the video pretty clearly. Also, minimize the motion involved in getting the ski off. Before you drop it, while your back foot is still on the ski, scooch your front foot back out of the binding (heel piece off) as far as possible. That way you just sort of flick the ski off with out having to make any radical movements that mess up your balance. Think smooth, rather than quick and abrupt.

Good luck and keep us posted. I know I speak for everyone when I say I wish I could be there to watch.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 12:39pm
Heck, I'll add my video too. Nothing impressive, but it shows a few novice techniques to use.

Footing Video, starring M3Fan
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 6:38pm
Those videos got my confidence up big time, I'm gonna give it a shot deep starting it, if I can't get it, then I'll look for some skis. Ill let you guys know how it goes after riding tomorrow.
96 Camaro SS #1157
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 8:27pm
Larry; Thanks, luv them old videos. Wish it was me stepping off right next to ya. Just seeing it get me charged up. Really enjoyed the "grave jump". Used to be my signature trick. Liked to jump low so it was ski to feet, always tried for no spray. Missed one last summer and my neck still hurts. Maybe no more of them! Enjoyed the deep. Haven't done one of them in a few years so gotta try a couple at Norris this July.

Thanks as well to you Joel. Who was the brave lady trying the one-footers?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

john

That's Joels wife, Beth.

I tried to barefoot for the first time last night as well, so its funny that this thread should come up. I was trying, as someone called it, the superman method, (on the boom) but I couldn't quite get myself turned around onto my butt. After some email advice from 81Nautique today, I've determined we were going to slow. I was trying to "spin" myself around at everything from 24 or so to 30. I almost had it at 30, but when I fell I got a horrible cramp in my right leg, so I called it a night. Maybe a little more speed and I would have had it. Glad I didn't though, 'cuz 24 hours later my leg still hurts pretty bad. My calf muscle looked like it had a tennis ball attatched to it for a few minutes. Oh well. There's always next time

Rob

P.S. After watching some of the videos, I've determined I have exactly ZERO desire to try to step out of a ski!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 8:47pm
Rob: I swear, with the correct instruction, stepping off is WAY easier than bouncing around beating yourself up on that boom. You can easily step-off hanging onto the boom. Couple of years ago I taught a 67 year old guy that way. I know you can too.

Cool to see Rob's wife on the boom. Mrs.jbear used to foot that way. Gotta love them ladies that will try anything on the boat with ya.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 12:04am

Cool to see Rob's wife on the boom.
john

John, that's my wife!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 3:22pm
Ahhhh....senior moment. Sorry. I gotta read these posts better.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2007 at 9:34am
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

john

That's Joels wife, Beth.

I tried to barefoot for the first time last night as well, so its funny that this thread should come up. I was trying, as someone called it, the superman method, (on the boom) but I couldn't quite get myself turned around onto my butt. After some email advice from 81Nautique today, I've determined we were going to slow. I was trying to "spin" myself around at everything from 24 or so to 30. I almost had it at 30, but when I fell I got a horrible cramp in my right leg, so I called it a night. Maybe a little more speed and I would have had it. Glad I didn't though, 'cuz 24 hours later my leg still hurts pretty bad. My calf muscle looked like it had a tennis ball attatched to it for a few minutes. Oh well. There's always next time

Rob

P.S. After watching some of the videos, I've determined I have exactly ZERO desire to try to step out of a ski!

Rob,

We'll be getting to Green Lake thursday so if you want a private lesson we'll find some good water and have you up in no time. Once you get it you'll wonder what took you so long.

Ps, Dana and I still want to head your way sometime in August so start thinking about planning a weekend. See ya soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic