Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noise from engine compartment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Glen View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noise from engine compartment
    Posted: August-09-2004 at 1:04pm
I have a 2000 Ski Nautique with the Chevy engine and Perfect Pass. I'm getting an erratic “screeching” noise from the engine compartment/drive train. Last time it was so loud that the guys in the boat next to the course asked me what the noise was. It only happens after a few sets and lasts maybe a second, once for about 3 seconds. It doesn't happen at any particular time, i.e. accelerating, turning, etc. There is no noticeable change in performance/vibration when it happens. I’ve gone through everything I can think of; changed the trans fluid which seemed fine before hand, changed the impeller (never ran hot), checked shaft alignment, engine oil level is OK, belt’s tight. I have less than 150 hours on the boat. The transmission does seem to get hot but I’m not sure what normal is. I checked the trans cooler and there is no obstruction. Problem I have is if I take it in to the dealer they most likely won’t be able to reproduce the noise. Has anyone experienced something similar? I’m at a loss and don’t want to end up with serious damage (if it hasn’t happened already). Thanks.

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2004 at 3:00pm
Does it sound like the screeching of a waterpump? Check the weep hole below the waterpump at the front of the engine.Is it leaking water? NOT the raw water pump but the one on the front of the engine like in your car. That is the most likely screech. It will not affect the performance until it fails and then the engine will overheat QUICKLY. The other screech can come from the bearings in the alternator. Or as the waterpump fails and starts to freeze the belt may be slipping. Sorry for the shotgun approach but those three things can all cause loud screechs.
Glen View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2004 at 12:05pm
Rick,
I hadn't thought of the water pump. I haven't had the time to check it out yet but it does make sense because the pitch of the noise seems low and the reduction in RPM due to the pulley could account for this. Hope this is the case since it's an easy do-it-yourself job as opposed to working on the trans. I rebuilt my old borg-warner but that was when I had the time (before I had a wife and 4 kids).
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2004 at 11:13pm
The waterpump wouild be my first inclination. It might simple be a worn belt is slipping. Sound like you need to spend more time working on the boat. Its a perfect form of birth control
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic