NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skipping or Surging at High Speed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Gonne929 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skipping or Surging at High Speed
    Posted: June-17-2007 at 6:31am
Hi guys. I have an 84 PCM. The boat has the prestolite conversion kit. I bought the boat last summer. I don't know if I inherited this issue or if it is a new one.
The boat runs perfect 0-34mph. Real smooth and will pull skiers all day long. I can make one or two passes at 36mph or above. As soon as I start the second/third pass the boat begins to skip/surge. When I slow the boat back to 34mph she runs great. I replaced cap, rotor, plugs, and wires last summer. Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2007 at 7:36am
fuel pump
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2007 at 8:41am
Timing set too high.
Tim D
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2007 at 10:28pm
Fuel pickup screen
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2007 at 11:03pm
Anti-siphon valve,usualy the fitting that the fuel line slips on.It contains a light spring and a check ball,debris will collect behind the ball and restrict flow.........boat dr
Gonne929 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 6:57am
Is the valve threaded into the tank?    
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 7:40am
the grim reaper thinks the trans is slipping....possibly
breaking loose at high rpms, smell the trans oil for a burnt smell and you should have a good clean nuetral, watch your tach when this happens if it spikes it is the trans, if not go after what these guys are suggesting
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gonne929 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 3:10pm
Ok. I am pretty sure I have a fuel delivery problem. Fuel pressure after pump is about 4.5 psi. Fuel flow on carb side of pump is 7oz. in 10 secs (not good). When I put the fuel supply line in a gas can (by-pass filter and tank) I get 16oz. in 10 secs. which I believe is spec so I believe the pump is fine. When I by-pass the tank but not filter I get 11oz. in 10 secs. When I by-pass the filter but not tank I get 10oz. in 10 seconds. So I am obviously going to replace the filter. (The filter may-be has 10 hours on it) How do you clean the check valve? Can I access the pick-up from the sending unit hole? Is there a quick way to clean with out removing tank?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 3:27pm
the boat will usually fall flat on its face if you run out of fuel at high rpms and start right back up and it will happen again and again, what gets me is if it was a fuel delivery problem it would happen on your 1st and 2nd pass,
usually when a trans is starting to fail this is exactly what happens, the oil still has viscosity to apply the packs on your first 2 passes but once it warms up and the oil thins it will allow the pack to break free at higher rpms, so at this point make a better determination of what is exactly is happening, watch your tach and if it spikes from 3800 up to lets say 4200 6then the trans is breaking loose.
Im not saying its not a fuel problem, just trying to give another outlook and opinion
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 3:33pm
I went through this last week with a friend of mine spending $500.00 on parts he didnt need (ignition) and 2 trips to the islands, hour and a half each way
it did end up being silicone being stuck in the Anti siphon valve.
you have to think logically when trouble shooting this stuff dont concentrate on one thing as being the problem, In my friends case he thought it was all ignition and of coarse he replaced everything ignition related and it still did the same thing
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 12:14am
Secondary float set too low?
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 12:16am
Secondary bowl float set too low?
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Mark P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2007 at 5:31pm
For what it's worth - My previous 94 Sport Nautique had a similiar issue which drove me nuts. Finally I replaced the spark plug wires after a recommendation from an auto mechanic.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2007 at 3:45pm
I've communicated to Jeff (Gonne929) about his issue. He replaced the fuel pump and there's no improvement. I was driving his boat when it started happening....maybe I'm cursed? Anyway, it sounds like the engine shuts down for a second or two at 35+ MPH then it kicks back in. It's not an engine power fade, it's more of a jolting, skipping feeling.

When I experienced this problem and one point, it was a bad EI kit made by Sierra. The timing was the main issue. Once a new Prestolite kit was installed, that particular problem stopped.

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic