Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

driveshaft length

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: driveshaft length
    Posted: June-17-2007 at 3:26pm
Any opinion on whether a driveshaft that's 3/16" shorter than the factory spec would make a difference? Vibrate? Do damage? Do nothing? My boat is an 89 supra - before you all attack me for not having a cc, I love cc's, they're the best boats in the world... I just got a deal I couldn't refuse on the supra - same engine & trans. as an '89 2001 - Ford/PCM 351w & 1.23 trans. I have a slight vibration and I've checked everything except engine alignment - that's next. But I noticed that my driveshaft is 44 and 3/16 while the factory spec is 44.5" and I wonder if that matters at all, or if 3/16" is insignificant.

Thanks for your input.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2007 at 4:29pm
459, It really shouldn't be a problem. You should still have plenty of room between the prop and the cutlass bearing. If it isn't a double taper shaft, you could even put it in the trans coupling a 1/8" shy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 4:03pm
Thanks for the reply... I think you're right, it's no problem at all. I pulled the shaft and checked it with a dial indicator and it's not warped or bent at all (at least not beyond spec) so I guess my next step is engine alignment. I'll put up a post when I get that done, just for others' reference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic