Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop for my 84 SN 2001 454

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
motoguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop for my 84 SN 2001 454
    Posted: June-17-2007 at 11:19pm
I just bought my first 2001. It is an 84 with a factory 454. I was wondering what kind of prop it should have? It has a 13x15 on it. I will mostly be slalom, tubes, some beginner wakeboarding and maybe try some barefooting. For now, I wont be adding much weight. I dont know too much about props and what actually works, but, just thinking with "lodgic" it seems if I run a faster prop I could run at a lower RPM and maybe save a little gas. Am I completly wrong? I figured the 454 would have the power to pull out of the hole so I could get away with a faster prop. Any suggestions on some good props out there would be great!
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 12:04am
If you go with a more pitched prop , you wont be using your power efficiently . Therefore probably useing more gas . At wide open throttle you should be running around 4800 RPM's . If I'm not mistaken .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 4:41am
Will, Pat is correct with the higher pitch props becoming less and less efficient as pitch increases. As the pitch increases, the prop becomes more radial fan like and spits more water out the sides than where it should go, out the back. More bite in the water (less slippage) is gained by larger diameters or by 4 blades. However, the newer 3 blade CNC machined propes are now said to out perform the odl 4 blade.

If you want to re prop, I would look at one of the new CNC types.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 12:47pm
13x15 is kind of steep. There are thwo different 454,s which one is it? there is 100hp between the two.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
motoguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 2:33pm
what would I look for to tell which model 454 I have?
motoguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 12:18am
Ok, so I actually got to go out and run the boat good today and have a completly diff outlook. I think the the 13x15 I'm running indeed is TOO MUCH prop. It does not have the initial pull you would expect from a 454 and the top speed is about 40-41 WOT and the engine is only about 3800 RPM and will not go higher. It's not that I just want better fuel economy, I just thought the with the power of the big block I could get away with more prop. Like you guys said, it seems like I am not using the power properly with the prop I have. I will call acme soon and see what they say. I dont mind spending a little $. I feel like I can get away with some extras considering what I got the boat for. What props wopuld you guys suggest? I just want to be able to have a usable range to utilize all of my power.

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 12:54am
the 470 prop is what it should be but with those numbers 40-41 mph and 3800 with a 13x15 prop your way off on the prop specs or it needs a serious tune up and might be on the verge of needed rebuilt with to perfomance numbers. Are you sure it's a big block 454 and not a 351W?

do you have any pictures of the motor that you can post?
motoguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 1:10am
The prop says 13x15 with 1" shaft. It is deff a 454. There is a pic in the link below. It was rebuilt 350 hrs ago. I have not checked it with gps yet, but it is within a couple of mph. The rpm has to be close to the stated.
motoguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 1:10am
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 1:58am
I would start with a complete tune-up before you start changing props because you are down about 1000 RPM so the motor's not even close to run at top form.

So a NEW Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ditch the points and replace with a new dist or conversion kit, fuel filter, oil change and filter, trainy fluid change and change the fuel and water seperator too. Clean the carb and adjust it, set the timing.

Once all that is done then you can run it and see what the rpm and speed is then because right now your looking at a 13x13 prop and that's not what goes on a BBSN.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 9:40am
Yup, 13x14 is typical for those engines.

That oval-port engine pretty much covers its own extra wieght plus a little extra, its not going to be a monster.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
motoguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 11:35am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

I would start with a complete tune-up before you start changing props because you are down about 1000 RPM so the motor's not even close to run at top form.

So a NEW Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ditch the points and replace with a new dist or conversion kit, fuel filter, oil change and filter, trainy fluid change and change the fuel and water seperator too. Clean the carb and adjust it, set the timing.

Once all that is done then you can run it and see what the rpm and speed is then because right now your looking at a 13x13 prop and that's not what goes on a BBSN.

Any suggestions on a good dist setup? I was wanting to do that anyways. The oil/filter, tranny fluid, fuel filter, seperator was all just changed.

What all needs to be changed with the ignition to go with dist?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic