Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dual battery setup

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dual battery setup
    Posted: June-19-2007 at 5:13pm
Anyone have a link to setup dual batteries? I have 92 with the battery in the cooler floor. I want to add another battery, possibly wire it up towards the front of the boat. have the Alt charge both batteries, etc. I seem to have problems with batteries every year and I think its the wakeboarding running below 3k rpm, (not charging enough) (2) amps, head unit, sat radio, etc. Just seems to kill me. So for my own personal peace, I think wiring up a dual battery config will help me a lot.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 8:36pm
I am not the sharpest with the electrical side, but I will do my best to give my opinion. I would think that if one alt won't charge one bat, it wouldn't have the ability to charge 2 bats. I would get a Battery Tender and plug it in after each use. It trickle-charges the batteries and won't hurt them like a battery charger. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that I am.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 9:31pm
tommer12, Your battery and alt. is like a water pump and a water tank.If you take more out of the tank than the pump can supply the tank will run dry,does not matter how big the tank is.
Get a bigger pump"alternator" you have a 65 or smaller now.Get rid of the boom boom boom or go with a higher amp rating 100 amps and above.
Bigger pump not a larger tank......................boat dr
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 9:43pm
100A alternator is the way to go instead of the dual batteries. You stereo is drwing to much current for the alternator to handle, doesn't make a difference if the alternator is turning 1000 rpm or 5000 rpm is still will but out the rated amperage at idle if it doesn't then the diode trio or rectifier is bad or you lost a winding in the stator.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 9:44pm
100A alternator is the way to go instead of the dual batteries. Your stereo is drwing to much current for the alternator to handle, doesn't make a difference if the alternator is turning 1000 rpm or 5000 rpm is still will but out the rated amperage at idle if it doesn't then the diode trio or rectifier is bad or you lost a winding in the stator.
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2007 at 10:40pm
look on ebay under ski nautique, and there is a 1981 with new motor. Shows a clean two battery setup.
rudderdad
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 4:54am
Tommer, Listen to the guys here on this site and not the ones over on planet nautique or the2001.com. Let all of them put multiple batteries in their boats only to find out that if you don't replace the juice, it gets used up!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 11:53am
Thanks 79. You are always (usually!) correct! I think I will hunt down a 100a Alt for the boat instead of dumping money into a dual battery setup with the battery combiner. Yeah, I know the other website is not the "source" like here.
Any good ideas where to find a 100A alt?

cheers! and thanks!!!
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 2:52am
Tommer, I bought a 100 Amp 12SI GM alternator through e-bay and bought a kit to convert it over for marine usage. Here's the link for the kit: http://www.amarket.com/imscrkit.htm   

This kit will fit the 10SI (most popular) or the 12SI (heavy duty). Both of these alternators use the same mounting bolt spacing and are considered to be universal fit. Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 3:11am
With the alternator I put together (above post) I configured my charging system with 2 alternators and 2 batteries. I know I'll probably get slammed on this sight for mentioning this, but that's they way I wanted my boat configured. The original alternator charges the original battery only and all of the original electrical accessories are still powered by this system (including the stereo head unit). The second alternator charges the second battery (only) and it powers 2 audio amps. Both amps are 400+ watts RMS. The two systems are isolated from each other except for the ground (they share the same ground). I have had absolutely zero problems with this configuration since its installation. However I did have to change my raw water pump to a crank mounted configuration to free up the space for the added alternator. Yes this system is overkill but I like the idea of having additional capacity for future improvements. Will be more than happy to post pictures for anyone interested. Brian

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 4:50am
Nutty, We never "slam" anyone on this site. All of our comments are just suggestions. I however was wondering if you are driving a ski boat or a sound studio on the lake? Do you have any room left in the boat for the driver,observer and skiing gear?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 5:56am
Brainard, it's like this. Some people like to make their ski boats go faster. I like my music,... and I like to be able to hear it when I'm skiing. Where I live (Phoenix) there are lots of young rich kids driving daddy's $100,000 wakeboard boat and blasting their rap music. I just like showing them that some of us more mature guys put together a sound system that can compete.

Former boats:
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 7:01am
Nutty, Wow, you do take on challenges. Keeping up with the kids sound systems isn't easy. I like your creativity with the crank mount RWP to make room for the extra alternator.

We too have the kids on our lakes running around with daddy's $$ boat. I would love to have $ to spend on a new boat (so would my kids) but that isn't the case. The kids are happy with the 77 and it's old enough to be a "cool" classic with their friends.

I too get disturbed when I can hear the music blasting from the other side of a 1000 acre lake. Makes me think of devious methods of disabling their sound systems!!

I'm glad you have come up with a sound system that you can enjoy while you're sking.
Happy skiing and keep it up. I haven't been on skis in 20 years.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 9:14am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I haven't been on skis in 20 years.

Pete,
We are going to have to get you out there on Green next month. I love skiing and couldn't imagine not doing so, it is great fun skiing with some of the young guns like Hollywood and co. just to show an old man can still keep up!

Nutty,
I am in the process of adding on to my sound system and as a result also considering adding a 2nd battery. I currently have the factory setup of 640w amp + sub + (6) interior speakers, adding a 800w amp + tower speakers. Do you think another battery will be required? The alternator is 100amp.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 9:22am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Pete,
We are going to have to get you out there on Green next month. I love skiing and couldn't imagine not doing so, it is great fun skiing with some of the young guns like Hollywood and co. just to show an old man can still keep up!

Chris, I'll be up north the week of the 4th so I guess I'll have to do some practicing! I doubt that I could even do a hot dog off the dock anymore. I still have my old slalom but I'm sure that it's now to short for my weight!! I'll give you a progress report in a couple of weeks. I know there are alot of older people still skiing and I really should have kept up with it. The wife still goes for a run each day if the weather is nice. Don't forget though that I do have 12 years on you too!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 10:14am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Pete,

Nutty,
I am in the process of adding on to my sound system and as a result also considering adding a 2nd battery. I currently have the factory setup of 640w amp + sub + (6) interior speakers, adding a 800w amp + tower speakers. Do you think another battery will be required? The alternator is 100amp.

It depends on how much you play in the water around your boat while sitting with the engine not running. If it's alot, you may want to consider adding another battery. A 100 Amp alternator is enough to supply the current demand but if you sit for extended periods you might drain your starting battery and need a jump. When I take my girlfriend boating on Sundays, it's very crowded on the Lake and skiing is just too treacherous with all the rough water. So we mostly relax in the tubes floating around the boat with the music playing. The 2nd batt comes in handy then. On Mondays it's just the guys and we have the lake mostly to ourselves and we ski and board almost constantly, so then the extra batt isn't needed. Brian

Former boats:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 10:32am
Hey Quinner, there is a thread on this site where someone posted a very nice dual battery setup (wiring diagram and pictures). He used a heavy duty solenoid which was activated by the ignition switch to isolate the two batteries. When the engine is running the alternator charges both batteries. When the ignition is off, the cranking battery is now out of the circuit of the sound system and its capacity is reserved for cranking.

Former boats:
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 10:38am
Pete,

Jump on that ski and get out there, you will do fine just be ready for some sore muscles the next couple days after!!

Brian,

Thanks for the input, I was hoping to avoid a second battery and adding any more weight to the boat, we will just use the system for a while and see how everything works, maybe even keep the jumper box on board as well just in case.

Pumped up to get the tower speakers going, hopefully before GL, I hope Pete likes Kid Rock!!
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 1:49pm
Ouch Peter....that stings. You just have to know WHO to listen to on those other sites (or any discussion site for that matter, including this one)...and then you still should do your own research on the subject before taking someones word as gospel. I've been bit by not doing due dilligence in more than one instance, and thats listening to trusted sources. Everyone can be wrong from time to time.

With that said, I agree that the alternators used the early PCMs cannot keep up with modern stereo systems. I recommend the 55A mando as a minimum...and the 100A for those going to multilple amps. I will warn anyone to take a good look at how their boat is wired before slapping on a 100A alternator.....particularly on the early boats. On our boat (88 SN), the main dash circuit is not protected from the alternator and hooking up a larger amp alternator w/o upgrading the wiring is a serious hazard.

As for a installing a second battery, I think that every boat should have one. There are many different ways to go about it including "perko" switches, isolators and/or combiners. I have been very pleased with the Yandina combiner so far. You can read more about it at www.yandina.com.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Bremsen Bremsen wrote:

Ouch Paul....that stings. You just have to know WHO to listen to on those other sites (or any discussion site for that matter, including this one)...and then you still should do your own research on the subject before taking someones word as gospel. I've been bit by not doing due dilligence in more than one instance, and thats listening to trusted sources. Everyone can be wrong from time to time.

With that said, I agree that the alternators used the early PCMs cannot keep up with modern stereo systems. I recommend the 55A mando as a minimum...and the 100A for those going to multilple amps. I will warn anyone to take a good look at how their boat is wired before slapping on a 100A alternator.....particularly on the early boats. On our boat (88 SN), the main dash circuit is not protected from the alternator and hooking up a larger amp alternator w/o upgrading the wiring is a serious hazard.

I totally agree with the above statement and should have mentioned this in my post as well. If you are upgrading to a 100 amp alternator you need to make sure your charging lead (the one coming from the B+ post on the alt) is a least a size 8 AWG cable. This goes double if you are using multiple amps and/or have a dual battery setup. I used a size 6 AWG from my #2 alternator going to the 2nd battery. Also, when mounting the alt, clean all the mounting brackets, bolts and bolt holes very well to ensure you have a GOOD ground. If your boat originally came equipped with an ammeter, I'd upgrade the wiring harness and use a voltmeter. And by all means, if there is no circuit protection, add in a circuit breaker or fusible link. I used an 80 amp circuit breaker in my upgrade.

Former boats:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 4:32pm

Tommer, Listen to the guys here on this site and not the ones over on planet nautique or the2001.com.

Thats quite a blanket statment, Pete. I'll agree that the info you get here is generally better than elsewhere- but there are knowledgable people on all the CC sites. I post on all 3, as do several others.

Bremson and I put together this diagram for a dual battery set up. The perko switch is normally in the position that only connects the starting battery to the charging circuit, but can be switched to allow the boat to be started with the 2nd battery. The combiner opens the circuit between the 2 batteries when either is receiving a charge- otherwise they are isolated.

It gets a little trickier when you upgrade the alternator, which is usually necessary on the older boats running a decent sized sound system. The main engine breaker needs to be upsized to handle the new alt output (as well as the wiring between the alternator and battery). The 10awg wire running to the dash also needs to be upsized or fused/breakered- it can handle the stock alt output but thats about it.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 4:54pm
oops, I meant to say Peter, not Paul.

Tim, I have the pic of my original alternator on my computer at home....I just need to size/upload it. I'll put it on that "other site" when I get home tonight.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Tommer, Listen to the guys here on this site and not the ones over on planet nautique or the2001.com.

Thats quite a blanket statment, Pete. I'll agree that the info you get here is generally better than elsewhere- but there are knowledgable people on all the CC sites. I post on all 3, as do several others.

Tim, You are absolutely correct. I could have said it in a nicer way. I too visit the other site and do occasionally post.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic