Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back fire and trans noise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wakeboarder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakeboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back fire and trans noise
    Posted: June-20-2007 at 2:46am
So it is June 20th and I havn't had a good ride yet on my buddies boat! He has a 82 Ski Nautique 2001, 351 engine. Ran great last year! Begining of this year we changed the oil and replaced the rear 2 engine/trans mounts. Put it in the water and it was running kinda rough. Replaced the spark plugs even though visualy they were good. Took it back out today and she was idling good, rev it up in nuetral sounds great, put it in gear and give it any descent amount of gas and she back fires, bring it up to speed slowly and seems to run great, thats problem #1!. #2 worries me more clunking noise coming from trans in gear not in nuetral. Output shaft is tight and no free play. Almost sounds like a turning clunk, Like a loose torque converter would sound. (Do boats or this boat have torque converters?)(don't laugh I know cars not boats). The clunk doese seem to go away at higher speeds, but going from N to reverse or Drive shakes the whole boat. Any ideas would be helpfull. Thank you, Nick
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 2:50am
the carb needs rebuilt and the dampner plate needs replaced.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakeboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 3:16am
Why do you say Carb needs to be rebuilt? It is only 2 years old. Is there any way to verify the dampner without pulling the hole trans?
Thank
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 5:15am
I'll defiantly go with the dampner plate too. The engine does not need to be pulled. With a bottle jack between the stringer and exhaust manifold on each side the rear of the engine can be tilted up and the bell housing pulled.

Does you friend like to do high speed shifting? Rear engine mounts and dampner plate? The dampners do go but shifting at high speeds doesn't help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 8:23am
Wake, there have been numerous posts on here about the dampner having springs in it that do break. You're only option is to replace it.

As far as the backfire, that sounds like a cracked dist. cap or a mech. advance that isn't advancing as it should. I've had the exact same symptom with both scenarios. Is this a point ignition or EI? Check the cap and replace if necessary and put a timing light on it and make sure the timing advances nice and smooth as you increase RPM to about 2500 RPM. My timing would just stay at 10 degrees BTDC until it hit about 2200RPM and then jump off the scale to full advance. The mechanical advance was sticky and just needed some attention.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 8:50am
take care of the miss, and the noise will probably dis-appear, A miss in an engine will amplify damper noises or even create damper noises, an out of time engine will create damper noise, the springs may be weak or broken on the damper...first things first...a new damper wont cure a back fire
cure the engine then replace the damper, when you replaced the mounts did you re-align?
"the things you own will start to own you"
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 1:37pm
Take the flame arrestor off and give it some throttle with the engine off. Check to see if the accelerator pump is working.

Check the timing as a matter of course.

The question about alinging is a good one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakeboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 12:27am
Thanks for all the sugestions, I guess I have work to do this weekend. All of the timing stuff makes sense and was kinda were I was thinking to start. I like the Idea of the Mech. Adv. and Distributor crack, because of the fact that it ran good when we put it away last fall and those are both things I could see happening from sitting. And hopefully that is causing the noise wouldn't that be nice (not my luck), but nice!!
What dose "speed shifting" mean? Going from Neutral to WO? if thats what PBRAINARD means then no, but once the tension is out of the rope and I'm ready he does have to hammer it to get my fat ass out of the water.lol.
Thanks guys I'll let you know if I figure her out, and any other suggestions are still appricated!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 4:43am
Nick, The engine mount plus the dampner is what keyed me into asking the question about high speed shifting. It's when you shift from forward to reverse (or vice-versa) rapidly so engine RPM increases before the trans fully locks up into forward or reverse. It's like dropping the clutch on a manual trans on a car. It doesn't need to go to WOT but can be rough on the trans. Why did he need to change the rear motor mounts? Is there a previous owner?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakeboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 7:28am
That is what I thought you meant. Yea there were previous owners but he has had it for 4 years. The rear motor mounts, 1 lost the clip that holds the rubber, and the other one was cracked. Between the extra movement and a little dry rot from age, the rubbers were bad. So it wasn't really the whole mount, just the Isolators.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2007 at 5:24pm
Pete, lighten up on the high speed shifts, i got 3 mouths to feed plus the wife, and the Benz needs a tune up... your suppose to say it wont hurt anything at all
lol   eric

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wakeboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2007 at 12:58am
Eric You lighten up I got no mouths to feed and I'm soakin up your free advice! P.S. a case of beer if you pop this trans out for me!! Where are you located? If I do need help, and as a fellow mechanic in a crappy michigan economy what do you do during the off seasons?
NIck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2007 at 7:11am
Im in the crappy Ohio economy, close to Cleveland, I dont own a benz either, i stay busy during the off seasons but I'll help you out if you need it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic