Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lift rings for pulling skiers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
todd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lift rings for pulling skiers
    Posted: January-03-2004 at 9:33pm
is it ok to use the lift rings for the ski rope instead of the pylon? I will usually have more than three people in the boat and since this is my first ski boat          (1982 Nautique) I am just wondering what others do.

Thanks,

Todd
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2004 at 11:31pm
i would tell them to get out of the boat.

that's what i do.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2004 at 1:33pm
sorry for being a smart butt. i go to the lake to ski and ski hard. it's a release for me. i have a ponton to use and anchor it out in the water for excess passengers. (friends grow like weeds when you have a boat.) the observer needs to have about 75 # on the driver to get the 72 perfectly flat for the optimum skiing wake. yes, i'm picky.

yes, you can use the lifting eye. i did it for years behind the separator. don't use a metal clip. it will chip the chrome.
todd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2004 at 2:02pm
I understand what you are saying, In my younger day I felt the exact same way, and still do, but I have a wife and two young girls who are skiing on two and hopefully this year will be slalom skiing and maybe in the near future be on their barefeet. I am excited to have a ski boat now, we have been skiing behind a pontoon boat for the past three years, so we can't wait till summer.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2004 at 3:31pm
i am trying to get my 10 and 12 year old boys into it without much success. i bought some trainers from boaters world with the rubber stabilizing bar, but their swim trunks always blow up like 800 # balloons. i hope to get a boom set up and get them going in 04, but the younger one has watched to many shark movies and freaks out when the fish nibble at his toes.

a boom might also be a solution for you since you are going into the barefoot aspect. it will give you more in the boat.

i can remember my friends dad teaching me behind a trihull norris craft with an 85 merc when i was 11. he brought a thomas thermos with his afternoon martini(s). i think he burned 12 gallons to get me up on the old dick popes, but i finally did it. i soon moved up to the conley hook. ah, the good 'ol days.

i fell off the front of that boat at speed when i was 17. i got chopped up pretty bad and developed a subliminal passion for closed bows. that boat is still around, but the old merc smokes quite a bit.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2004 at 4:12pm
I can remember trying to get up for the first time behind my dad's orange '70 Correct Craft skier. I was only 5 yrs. old and that loud duel exhaust scared the $#&% out of me.

I ended up learning behind our 12' aluminum with a 6hp Evenrude.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Gavin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gavin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2004 at 10:42pm
If you are just skiing for the fun of it and your not running a slalom course hook the house to the the lifting ring and load the boat. We had a 1986 Nautique with a 454 had 15 people in the boat and still got up on plane just don't stop. Prior to this we had 15 skiers behind this bad boy out of the hole it was all it would do to get moving. Two boams one out each side with 8 barefooters thats why we own Correct Crafts you can't kill these works of art. We now ski with 2002,1985,1973 and soon to be a 1969.There are also two Master Crafts on the lake but not very serious skiers. As for lifting rings again I hang the 1985 on these all summer people think were nuts the only one on the market that can still do this the 1969 is next for the lift. As for the kids try them on a knee board if there not ready I have 11 and 13 year old both were barefooting this summer on the boom its a must for the newbie.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2004 at 11:50am
The lifting ring works fine, but the wake and the pull is so much better if you use the pylon and a 60' rope. I fold my canvas into a compact block and place it behind the driver's seat. It becomes a jump seat. Depending on if you're with adults or kids, you can easily have 4-8 people in the boat and still use the pylon if you squeeze in and have a few people on the floor. As long as you're just recreational skiing and not serious slalom skiing, it's safe. If you have a strong slalom skier I don't recommend it in case of recoil. A knee board is an excellent way to introduce skiing. We start young kids off "belly boarding" and eventually they get up on their knees or try skiing. The trainers are too small. I've never gotten anyone up on those.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 3:59am
Correct Craft I beleive is the only manufacturer that recommends hanging their boats by the liftrings. as a result you can tow approximately 1800 lbs no problem. My 18 Year old learned behind the 66 in my signature as well as a 92 with boom. To get on a single the Instructor got on a wakeboard and took 2 wraps on the skirope. He was then able to get behind the skier and when he dropped to one ski he held him up by the vest until he became stable. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2004 at 5:05am
Being new to this Board, I have to say, it's not only very helpfull (guy's like Tryan save us more than we paid for our boats) but hearing you guy's talk about getting up for the first time was funny and brings back a flood of memories.

Mine was near Lake Ponchartrain in the River Tchefuncta....South Louisiana. My Dad's College room mate had red on white fiberglass CC...loud and scary...and after about 100 attempts I finally got up on a set of Cypress Gardens!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2004 at 12:32am
Look at the 1972 brochure, page 4, or freeport(1). That boat doesn't have a pylon.
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2004 at 2:47pm
I sometimes need to use the lifting eye for pulling skiers, but mine has sharp edges that chew up the rope. Does anyone know of a source for a smooth replacement ring? I don't know about the connection; will a ski pylon ring work?
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2004 at 11:34pm
My 'cuda doesn't have a pylon, so we pull everyone from the lift ring.It's designed to support the weight of the boat being lifted up vertically.Pulling the weight of multiple skiers from behind may crunch the bolt up against the fiberglass-mine hasn't shown any signs of this, but if the wooden supports are soft, you may see this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic