NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#1 Cyl.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #1 Cyl.
    Posted: June-25-2007 at 11:28am
Is the #1 Cyl front port cyl on a DD regardless of rotation?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2007 at 12:22pm
ford or chevy?

ford is starboard, and chevy port
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2007 at 12:47pm
I should have known they wouldn't be the same. I've got one of each, but I was working on the chevy over the weekend, and apparently had it correct.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2007 at 1:57pm
This reminds me of when I finished rebuilding my little 4 cyl. in my Atom. I went to set the timing and couldn't find the mark on the flywheel. Evidently when I bolted on the flywheel I got it on 180 degrees off! No problem since I just hook up the timing light to the #4 cyl. It did have me going for a while.

The old timers (mechanics) with the old flat heads would just have someone drive the boat WOT while they set the distributor for max. RPM.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2007 at 4:30pm
Seems to me that's how the marina we bought our Barracuda from set the timing, only they would get to max rpm, and back it off some.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 8:18am
Riley, I don't really think the old timing method mattered much with the pre 60's low RPM flat heads but with the newer and high RPM 6's and 8's I would start to worry if I saw a mechanic do that.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic