Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water strainer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DAV0743 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAV0743 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water strainer
    Posted: June-29-2007 at 1:05am
My water strainer has cracked an is leaking. i ordered a new one but, it will be the end on the week before i get it. im going to the lake on the 4th. Is it ok to bypass the strainer for a few days.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 1:22am
As long as you're talking about the water strainer and not the trans cooler it's ok to bypass. Most of the older boats didn't come with them anyway, the trans cooler acts as a screen but they can block up easily. Keep an eye on your temp gauge and replace the strainer as soon as you can.

Don't bypass the trans cooler.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 3:14am
My boat is a 95 Malibu and it didn't come with a water strainer either. When did PCMs start coming equipped with them?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 11:57am
I've never had one on my 76. Was in the plan to add one, but it's been seven years since I bought the boat. Never had a problem with debris (I probably will now!).
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

My boat is a 95 Malibu and it didn't come with a water strainer either. When did PCMs start coming equipped with them?

Sometime in the early to mid 80's. Definitely by '86.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 11:41pm
my 95 sport didn't have one.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
DAV0743 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAV0743 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2007 at 1:10am
Thanks everybody!!!!!
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2007 at 2:31am
When I first bought mine the strainer bowl was cracked. Some Marine-tex will get through until the new one arrives.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic