NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drilling Hole in Fiberglass Procedure

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mark P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drilling Hole in Fiberglass Procedure
    Posted: July-02-2007 at 7:30pm
I need the best, most detailed procedure for drilling a 1.5" hole in the fiberglass just below the rub rail on the boat. I have googled it, but want your expertise. Since I am a novice, should I have someone else do this?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 7:57pm
Nah, just buy a hole saw.

Seriously, its not hard. I would run the drill backwards until youre through the gelcoat- that way it wont chip. Once the hole is drilled, sand the edges down (chamfer) to prevent chipping in the future. Remember, measure twice and cut once!
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 8:59pm
The hole saw is the best tool for this job. Like TRBenj said it is good to run the drill in reverse until it cuts through the gelcote. You may first apply masking tape over the area you are drilling. It is actually not that tough of a job - just feels a lot like the moment before you jump out of a plane. Definately make sure you want the hole where you plan to drill.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 9:32pm
and make sure to triple check what's on the inside!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic