NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transmission rebuild "typical" cost?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission rebuild "typical" cost?
    Posted: July-02-2007 at 10:27pm
There may not be a typical cost for a transmission rebuild but I'd like to know a ball park. I've taken mine to a local shop because the prop is crawling in neutral and I can't stop it by hand as some of you have suggested trying.

Sounds like the plates are stuck? Is that the correct terminology? Mechanic recommended rebuilding it which i think sounds correct based on the discussions here. Does $1000 - $1100 sound about right for this?

Thanks,
Chris
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 8:35am
is he doing 2 of them for you,I hope.
you can buy borg warners new for 1200.00
the most anyone should pay for a rebuild worst case is 850.00 after that you buy new.
Heres the scoop on Borg Warners, they are used in many different boats all the way up to 36 footers, everyone offers the same rebuild kits to rebuild these transmissions, the kits come with bronze clutches and they are great when your spinning big props and are a little more forgiving. 4 out of 10 trannies i see have the bronze reverse plates snapped in half in ski boats, so one day long ago i had an idea, instead of using bronze hubbed reverse plates lets use a steel hubbed reverse plate and drill out a orifice hole in the reverse piston to slow down applying the pack and making sure to use new return springs because you think the old springs look good but they really are not (new springs also slow the applying of the pack)..... this is just one of the many things you do when REBUILDING. anyone can replace parts, it is easy to replace parts. when you spend a $1000.00 on a trans you should call it a replaced trans not a rebuild, Question this person that wants to take you for a thousand and you will see what i mean.
Freemanca you simply have a burnt forward pack and this is caused from slippage, the clutch plates are slipping and can not dis-appate the heat quickly enough and the heat stays in the plates and warp loosing your forward clutch pack clearance which causes the prop to drag, yes it is time for a rebuild and the rebuilder needs to determine what caused the slippage and not just tear it down and replace the parts
"the things you own will start to own you"
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 12:00pm
Hmm, I guess I'll need to contact him today and ask about it. Just did a search and saw a Velvet drive rebuild kit for $465. How labor intensive is this as I know very little about engine repair.

How difficult is it to pull and ship to you for repair? What kind of time frame would that be as an option if this guy won't budge from that $1000+ estimate.

Thanks,
chris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 2:36pm
He'll budge, tell him you know a guy that will do it for $650.00. they can ship UPS at 98lbs. 2 to 3 days, if you need help understanding on how to pull it you can call me    eric

freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 3:30pm
He can do it for about the same if I pull it and put it back myself. He's charging $150 to pull and $150 to put back and align.

So, I guess I have to put a price on my time at this point. :-)

He also told me the previous owner put an automobile carb on it instead of a marine one. That doesn't sound promising.

chris
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 11:14pm
Eric, would I need anything special to pull the transmission out? Would I need to lift the engine or what exactly?

chris
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 2:27am
freemanca, you can use a basic bottle jack under the exhaust manifold to support the engine while you pull the trans. Call eric, I've heard he's great with this stuff.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 2:29am
Chris,

Is this the boat you bought over here in Atlanta? That add said new transmission. Nice looking boat. Can't help you out on the rebuild, but hope you get the boat all straightened out.
Greg

86 BFN
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 11:45am
skicat, it is the same boat. It's still in the diaries and I just looked at it again and it does say new transmission, interesting. It definitely needs a tran rebuild though as it seriously crawls in neutral. I can't stop the prop from rotating while in neutral.

Carb needs to replaced too with a marine carb.

Hopefully these are the only "major" engine parts and I'll get it running safely for a while to come and work on the cosmetics a little at a time myself.

chris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 11:57am
we just pulled 2 480 lb transmissions without the use of any type of lifting devices except for a crane to swing them off the boat,what we did was loosen the front mounts and then used the rear mounts to lift the trans and engine, we ran the adjusting nuts all the way up and then blocked the engine then set the engines on blocks and then proceeded to remove the transmissions. the caterpillar dealer wanted to dry dock the boat and remove the entire deck and engines which the estimate was twice more than mine. i f-d up my back on number 2 but we managed to get them, I'll post some pics..
when removing Borg warners you can do the same or its possible for 2 guys to lift the back up and block, alot of the weight also rests on the front mounts
freemanca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 1:33pm
Ok, so this is where the extra expense is coming into play then. Rebuilding the transmission cost vs pulling, rebuilding, replacing cost.

chris

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic