Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thru-Bolt for Swim Platform ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
80Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thru-Bolt for Swim Platform ?
    Posted: July-05-2007 at 11:50pm
Hello All, and Thanks In Advance. My starboard-side bracket for my swim platform is loose ; the lag screws spin, and are not biting anymore. Would like to thru-bolt it, but the area on the inside where the bolts would go is not accessible (it's an enclosed area, between the muffler space and the starboard wall).

Do you think it would be O.K. to cut some kind of a small access hole (not unlike the one for the shaft, but smaller) so I could at least stick my hand in there to insert the bolt ?? What's inside this concealed space? Anything? Perhaps just space, it sounds hollow. It appears to be fiberglass, and goes all the way to the back of the boat.

If it works, will probably do it on the other side as well, and would eventually like to make it so I can remove the platform so I can fit boat in my garage.

Thanks Again!!   Chris.
1980 Ski Nautique , Ford 351W Commander, BW Velvet Drive 1:1

Dayton Ohio
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 1:05am
take a picture of where your bracket is mounted. If it is close to the outside of the boat within say two inches then your not going to be able to thru bolt the bottom one. I assuming that you have two bolts on the bracket.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 2:44am
On my 87 the fuel cell is back there. The swim platform mounted through the gelcote, the glass, and a bonded 3/4" plywood piece on the back of the boat. The simplest repair would be to remove the large bolts from your swim platform, then use rot doctor in the holes. Once it sets then use some epoxy resin as you replace the screws.

I had my fuel cell out while doing some minor repairs this winter. When I put the swim platform back on I drilled all the way through. Then I used 3" wide 1/8" thick aluminum backing with lock washers and SS bolts to secure the swim platform. Great idea until they ever get loose - tightening them will be incredibly difficult because they are hidden behind the fuel cell.

I strongly recommend you go the rot doctor route. It will repair the wood your screws are going into. Then some epoxy resin as you install them will keep it all locked up.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 3:03am
I'm not familiar with the structure under the floor of a 78. If the lag bolts run into a stringer, you won't be able to do what you suggest.

There is a fellow named "Sporty" on the Mastercraft website (www.tmcowners.com). He had the same problem as you, and the same fix as you. He posted photographs about a year ago. May be helpful. He actually ran the bolts from the inside of the hull out, and epoxied them into the hull so that he could remove the nuts from the outside and remove the platform. Obviously, this was an MC. I don't know if it will work on your configuration. BKH
Livin' the Dream

80Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 10:17pm
You guys are the best ; Thanks !!
1980 Ski Nautique , Ford 351W Commander, BW Velvet Drive 1:1

Dayton Ohio
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 10:02pm
I bought a boat that had the swim platform lower supports mounted lag screws that were loose just as you described. That loose screw allows water into the foam and my boat was soaked all the way to the Bow.

I removed the gas tank and cut away the top of the flooring so i could intal a bolt....then i dug wet foam for a couple days!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic