NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3M 5200 ???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3M 5200 ???
    Posted: July-06-2007 at 12:06pm
Guys,
I need to attach my new Alloy Marine brackets this weekend on the back of the 76, and was hoping to use the boat this weekend at the same time.. How long do I really have to wait to use the boat after applying the 5200 product in the bolt holes etc? The tube states something like a 5 day cure time???? I was hopeing to apply one day and boat the next..

What's your experience working with this stuff??

Thanks
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 1:42pm
have you all ready used the 5200 Dave? if not your better off using boat life sealent as it will allow you to remove the platform if you wanted. The 5200 is pretty much periment, me friend just rebuilt his motor on his cuddy and used 5200 a while ago on the flanges to the thru hull exhaust tips and when he removed the tips to rebuild the motor part of the gel-kote came off with the tips.

as far as your question goes what does it say about work life? that is the time it takes to set up and is non-plyable anymore, and doesn't it say that it can be applied underwater? I would say that you would be ok maybe give it two days. It doesn't have to be fully cured, think of it this way concrete isn't fully cured for years, you can walk on it in a couple of days but as the days go by it gets harder and harder.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 2:13pm
Chris,
I'm not sure about the life question yoo're asking about.. Maybe there is another sealant that is easier to deal with and will allow me to use and go, like cauking??

Any suggestions??

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 2:22pm
Moj,

I think Chris is talking about Boatlife Caulk. I have used it for underwater application around my rudder port, skegs, and strut. (I have also used it on the wooden spray rail that my 69 has) It's now been three summers, and it looks like I applied it yesterday.

And, it is removable without tearing up the surface.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Maybe there is another sealant that is easier to deal with and will allow me to use and go, like cauking??

Yes, Boat Life Calk

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Chris,
I'm not sure about the life question yoo're asking about.. Maybe there is another sealant that is easier to deal with and will allow me to use and go, like cauking??

Any suggestions??

Moj'

Mojo,

on almost all epoxy's, sealants, super glues or bonding type glues, caulks and so forth they will specify a "work life" and a cure time, The "work life" is the amount of time that you have to apply, spread or work the product before it takes a set, then there is the cure time and that is the time that it takes to fully harden or set.

HW and the others showed what I was tlking about as an alternate to the 5200.

Also your going to be my beer sponsor for the week-end right? Bud Select or Budwieser would be my 1st and 2nd choices. I have one gas sponsor so far so if anyone else want to help out e-mail me.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 3:18pm
Ok, gotcha... Can I use this Boat Life Cauk and immediately hit the water?? or is there a cure time that will make me have to drink more beer on the dock??

Chris,
No problem dude.. I've got an old case of that crap laying around somewhere !!!!

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 3:22pm
Moj,
If you can't come up with the Boat Life caulk, 5200 also comes in a fast cure application (green label), which can have you boating in hours.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 3:23pm
well you can apply it underwater so I would say yes you could but you might wash some of it away when taking off so let it set up over night or at leasthalf the day before you dunk it to play it safe.

You'll need to get a fresh case of Select that way I can have a couple of fresh pops before switching to a stail pop,

after six they all taste the same anyway, well not really I can still taste what brand they are regardless.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 3:48pm
OK, overnight is about all I have the patience for haha... I'll run over to Boaters world and see what they have.. I only have a tube of the regular 5200..

Chris, How about a fresh case of Old Milwaukee or PBR???? doh'

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 3:54pm
thank's but no thanks I'm a professional drinker and those brands are not on the approve PBDA list sorry thought you drank bud lite anyway?

PBDA = Professional Beer Drinkers Association.

unless are buddy Sowash is around then it's fu fu's and red snappers as he rarely drinks beer but is a hell of a bartender/mixolygist
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

thank's but no thanks I'm a professional drinker and those brands are not on the approve PBDA list sorry thought you drank bud lite anyway?

PBDA = Professional Beer Drinkers Association.

Yeah, I drink bud or miller lites.. If I really want to forget the evening, then it's Capitan and cokes hahaha...

So, are ya coming now ya big wally?? Hope so, I'll have the beers ready !!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 10:48pm
Id just use the 5200 and drop it in the drink. The removable feature is built in to those brackets with the pin. I dig 3M 5200. Do you ever plan on removing the brackets from the stern?
Miller Lite in the daytime and I like a Capt-n-Coke after dark!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Darrel Darrel wrote:

Id just use the 5200 and drop it in the drink. The removable feature is built in to those brackets with the pin.

FALSE,   some of the brackets are designed that way, mine and many others can only be removed if unbolted from the transom
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 12:53am
If you are going to the store, there is also a 3m 4100 or 4200 that will seal excellently, cure quicker, and come off if need be.
rudderdad
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 12:56am
Sealed everything on the 87 SN with 4200. It is just as waterproof as the 5200 but you can remove things at some point down the road if need be.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 11:09am
Go with the 4200. Don't forget that the Boat Life has a long cure time too. (2-3 days)
Reminding everyone who has got a problem removing hardware bedded in 5200 that it can be removed very easily by hot wiring. A 18" piece of .024 stainless MIG wire hooked up to a battery and it's off!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic