Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stalling 318

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stalling 318
    Posted: July-11-2007 at 2:19pm
Was out last weekend and was going near WOT and had a few instances where I had to back off quickly. When doing this I stalled out. I am guessing water backing in to exhaust. Question is anything I can do to change this? And is this a major problem?? I have looked and have seen no shutters for the exhaust to keep water out. It starts right back up no issues either. Any advice or recommendations welcome. Thanks in advance.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 3:11pm
Speivy, It's not the water coming up the exhaust. The exhaust flaps or shutters as you called them weren't around until the late 70's I believe. Weren't you having carb and starting issues several weeks ago?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 3:34pm
No, I haven't had any starting or running issues at all. Like I said I was at about full boar and took it all the way back due to another idiot boater and it stalled out. It started back up immediately no other issues. Would it be a good idea to install the flappers or leave it as is. I don't see an issue with it happening because I rarely ever do that unless I have to. Just don't want to ignore a problem if one exists.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 4:37pm
Spievy, I have to agree with Pete. If you were running water into your exhaust, you would be experiencing hydro-lock. That engine would not start without pulling the plugs and turning it over to blow water out the cylinders. I would think that you have a little fine tuning to do with the carb. I would be checking the idle adjustment screws to verify that they are set right. What kind of carb is it?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 4:58pm
It is a Carter AFB. I haven't really messed with anything yet since it was running well up until this point. It does have a little trouble starting when cold even with a few pumps of gas. I have yet to replace the fuel filter, plugs, wires,cap,rotor, etc. so I am planning on starting there and seeing if a tune-up clears it up. I appreciate the advice. That would make sense to me that it is carb or gas or timing related rather than water since I backed it off so quick it probably starved it and killed it....I think
1968 Mustang 318 CM
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 5:05pm
If your having trouble starting it when its cold make sure your choke is completely closing.That will cause hard starting when cold.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 5:08pm
How long has it been since you did a tune up? That would probably be a really good place to start. Sorry, but you'll have to get help from others on this forum for any Carter recommendations. Don't know much about those.

Keep us posted as to what the tune up does for you.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic