Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
joelhern2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelhern2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Maintenance
    Posted: July-11-2007 at 3:55pm
I pump my trailer hubs with grease when needed and especially before long trips. However, recently the grease slings itself all over the outside of the tires and wheels....whats this all about?

I know that Im not over greasing them, because I cut off the grease right when I see water emerge (just like the directions read). Any other routine maintenance advice for a 1991 trailer?

Thanks in advance...
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 5:00pm
Your grease seals on the back of the hub are bad.Also when you take the hub off,look at the axle for any groove marks on the shaft.This will also cause the grease seals not to mate properly to the axle,causing your grease slinging.Some bearing places will sell a sleave to put over the section of bad axle if you do have a groove in it.Really you should only have to put grease in your hub once a year as long as you have your bearing packed properly from the start.My advise is to replace the seals and repack the bearings properly.Your bubby bearings are spring loaded so once you replace the seals and pack the bearing,just add enough grease till the front of the bubby bearing bottoms out the front.Also make sure you use marine grade bearing grease.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 12:09am
I use molloy grease seems to work better then regular hi-temp grease.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 12:44am
Used to have the same problem. Replaced the seals in the back and repacked the bearings with that red colored grease. Now I just pump enough grease in to make the bearing buddy start to float. I have hose clamps on the rubber outer caps to help keep out water.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 12:19pm
Hose clamps on the rubber caps...I like it! Kind of gheto, but good idea. I tend to loose them most of all, so that might help them stay put. I suppose that out of balance hose clamp is too close to the center of the wheel to make any difference.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 12:29pm
I like Bills idea that he only pumps enough to just start the sping loaded plunger to float. If you fill them then I think with the heat and pressure, is blows past the inside seal. I just washed off the splattered grease from the inside of the wheel on one side of my Atom trailer. It did it with less than 200 miles and that was with brand new spindles and hubs!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 1:14pm
Well, it is not Bill's idea, but the correct way to do it. The instructions on new bearing buddies tell you to do it just that way. Just enough grease to unseat the spring loaded cap.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 3:49pm
Back in the day when we lost a rubber cap we would cut a Coors Light can in half and duct tape it on. That was pretty ghetto. Disclaimer: it was not a Nautique, it was 73 Thunderbird Tri hull with a Johnson 135 OB. My brother and I installed a center pull pylon on it and painted "Nontique 2002" on the side.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 4:31pm
LMAO
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
JAG459 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 11:42pm
I agree with bmiller When I replace the seals on my trailer I installed the seal savers available from Bearing Buddie www.bearingbuddy.com. and I haven't had a problem since.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 10:01am
Originally posted by JAG459 JAG459 wrote:

I agree with bmiller When I replace the seals on my trailer I installed the seal savers available from Bearing Buddie www.bearingbuddy.com. and I haven't had a problem since.

I took a look at the seal savers and will need to put some on my trailers. Looks like a nice upgrade on the seal plus has a O ring backup. Like I said, I had less than 200 miles on new spindles and seals when one of them started throwing grease. Of coarse the spindles are probably made in China and they have no idea of the RMS surface finish requirements for a seal and any tolerence you put on a print they ignore anyway!!

David, While I was at the bearing buddy site I took a look at the greasing instructions. It's funny because under the frequently asked questions they tell you to compleatly fill them up but in the install section they tell you to put in enough grease to only float the spring loaded piston a 1/8" !!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 3:04pm
When I replaced the seals on my trailer I took the old ones to a local bearing place and asked for a double lip seal. My dad swears by these and they definitely look much more substantial for holding up. They were a little more money but if it saves a mess of grease on the brakes I am all for it.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by jdkenyon jdkenyon wrote:

When I replaced the seals on my trailer I took the old ones to a local bearing place and asked for a double lip seal. My dad swears by these and they definitely look much more substantial for holding up. They were a little more money but if it saves a mess of grease on the brakes I am all for it.

Excellent point and reminder. Double lip seals are crucial with boat trailers. Standard seals are designed to keep the grease in, not the water out. Double lip seals do both.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic