NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

overheating problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Messer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: overheating problem
    Posted: August-13-2007 at 3:06am
Did you have a spacer on the tranny cooler? I looked at my hoses and I have a 1" coming from the deck but the tranny cooler is a 3/4". There is a ruber spacer to offset the sizr difference. It's causing me issues.
Johnnie
1987 Ski Nautique
1981 Fish Nautique
1980 Fish Nautique
1979 Fish Nautique
1986 Master Craft
1984 American Skier
Rinautique76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 1:11am
no well this is my second attempt at gettin this boat running first time did a engine rebuild that dint go right so the trannt cooler was over looked last winter
ron benoit
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 2:34am
there's a little drain plug in my tranny cooler for that very reason. I bet it gets missed a lot. Glad you got it fixed Ron
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Rinautique76 Rinautique76 wrote:

yea where the tranny cooler is seamed together at the top and bottom the bottom seam was opened up as if there was a poor weld in the factory and it caused to suck alot of air

no it wasn't drained before winter and froze and busted the seem.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:19am
yea where the tranny cooler is seamed together at the top and bottom the bottom seam was opened up as if there was a poor weld in the factory and it caused to suck alot of air
ron benoit
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 2:19am
a "tear?" in the hose? there was a leak in the tranny cooler?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 2:08am
problem found seam around tranny cooler had a tear new cooler runs right at 160 thanks for all the good ideas and help
ron benoit
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2007 at 9:51am
Eric, What happened to you making it out to GL? We missed you!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2007 at 9:40am
sometimes the raw water pump seal will pull air through it, as said earlier it is easier to pull air than water. If you can with another hose run water to the seal area while running and see if the temp drops, this will allow you to pull water in at the seal instead of air
"the things you own will start to own you"
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2007 at 1:55am
Check the simple stuff first!

Have you checked the strainer? If not pull the hose off the end and take a look! Last week I ran it in the drive(no probs) and then took it out on the lake and right away saw my temp shoot up...picked a clump of grassy crap out of the strainer and all was good.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2007 at 5:27pm
The slightest leak will cause it to suck air and not water. The hose pushes water through the engine where the pump actually has to suck it. I replaced all my cooling hoses a year ago. Had exactly the same issues you're having right now. It turned out that the tranny cooler was dented on end of it so it was essentially "D" shaped instead of round. I had to pull it off and I took a socket that was just a little smaller than the inside diameter of the cooler inlet. I had to tap the socket into the end that was dented to push it back out again. Worked fine since then with no issues. To this day, I have no idea how that cooler got dented.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2007 at 4:45pm
i have tried a simalar method and it is not pumping as much as it should also i found a slight leak in tranny cooler
ron benoit
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2007 at 2:52pm
I would still run the raw water pump test. I did mine with the boat in the water. If you want to do it on land, I would recommend a slightly different way.

In the water, take the hose that goes from the raw water pump to the therm off at the therm housing. Have it ready to go into a 5 gallon bucket. Start the boat and get it to 2500 rpm. Time how long it takes to fill the 5 gallon bucket. Should be around 20 seconds or less.

If on land, take the water inlet hose off the hull of the boat (right where it is sucked in from the underneath). Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and put that hose in the bucket. The pump should empty that bucket in the same time frame at same rpm.

Keep us posted.
Brent
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2007 at 11:23am
Same problem with my rwp recently. You are most likely pulling air from somewhere. Water hose pushes the water to it, but when you are at the lake...the rwp has to pull it. It is much easier for it to suck air from a leak than to pull a 1 inch column of water. From the water pump, move back checking each joint all the way to the hull. Make sure your hose clamps are in good shape and are the right size. Make sure that the hoses are in good shape. If you have to (some may kill me for this), run a small amount of silicone around each joint to ensure sealing. You may have a blockage or impeller problem, but most likely you are sucking air. Hope this helps. Boatdr., 79, and others will probably jump on today to offer some more help.

Tim J
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2007 at 7:51am
76, It sounds like you are sucking air from someplace.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 9:43pm
if i turn around and put hose in a bucket it bubbles telling me that the pump is in the right direction
ron benoit
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 9:38pm
Yes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 8:54pm
what water pump the raw water pump
ron benoit
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 6:58pm
76, The water pump has fooled the best!! Can you turn the hoses around and see what happens.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 5:50pm
im at a loss of ideas right now
ron benoit
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 5:43pm
Ron, a lot of the regulars who are really good on this sight are at the CCfan.com reunion in wisc this weekend. I'm sure by tomorrow you'll see many other answers to this. You're definitely not getting water in your system. It's almost got to be the water pump doesn't it?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 4:39pm
ok put thermostat in and now is overheating even on the garden hose can someone please help me im about ready to sink this thing
ron benoit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 12:49pm
anyone else have an ideas this has been a 3 year project and im so close but so far
ron benoit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 12:18pm
no i have not tried that yet should i do that while in the lake or on the hose
ron benoit
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 3:17am
Did you check to see what kind of draw you had on the raw water pump? (taking hose from pump off therm housing) That would help eliminate air getting sucked in (strainer, hose, trans oil cooler).
Brent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 3:06am
yes i doubled and tripple checked that possibility
ron benoit
bwill14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwill14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 2:57am
Are you sure you put the raw water pump back on the right way. It seems it would be easy to flip around.
Brent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 2:53am
impeller is in good condition risers get pretty warm as well
ron benoit
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 2:44am
Ron,
Sorry to hear your trouble. Perhaps the pressure from your garden hose is high enough that it is forcing water through your engine (mine will when it's not even on full blast). But it sounds like your water pump is not working.

I'm not an expert at this and I don't know how much you are (however if you can install an engine you ought to know a lot more than I do about this). Have you checked your impeller? There is a thread right now on clogs in the cooling system too (here. Perhaps it will be helpful in getting started. Places I'd start would be water pump/impeller problem/thermostat....

Other guys will be more helpful soon...welcome to the forum...this is a great sight. Also, make sure you post some pictures of that great boat!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinautique76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2007 at 1:37am
ok im new to the site and i have a big problem i just installed a crate 351 engine in my 76 nautique when it is running on land with a garden hose the temp is fine around 170 but as soon as i put it in the lake it starts over heating and head right towards 240 now i have checked the impeller and installed a new thermostat im at a loss can anyone help
ron benoit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic