Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I don’t get shaft alignment part 2

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kevman38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevman38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I don’t get shaft alignment part 2
    Posted: July-21-2007 at 4:37am
Well.....There is a good reason I didn't get it.I dropped the rudder (better practice your yoga)used a shaft puller and pulled the shaft.With the shaft pulled I could view the strut. I told my brother (Indian name)"dummy with hands good for only handing stuff" . The strut looked waaaay out. I installed new strut bushings and re inserted the shaft.The shaft was about 1/2 inch or more off the center point of the shaft log pointing toward the port side.The strut bushings confirm it by their ware.THIS BOAT WAS ALIGNED BY A CORRECT CRAFT DEALER 75 HOURS AGO !!! how did they miss that. How could I not feel it ! I'm the only operator and I have not hit any thing. I would guess it has been this way since I've owned it.Well I'm replacing the strut and shaft I have no time for half #$%$#.I may get the shaft checked for straightness ,but there is a small groove around the shaft seal couple of thousands.This is my first attempt at an alignment I knew something was wrong with they way I had to manipulate the shaft to re connect the shaft couplings.once the couplings were connected it was out on the port side by .006 .Any way long story short all this trouble probably saved my tranny. Total operating hours are 355 I hope I didn't do to much premature ware.

Note: advanced auto parts will let up check out a slide hammer, the only problem is that the hammer is 5/8 with 18 thread my shaft is 3/4 with 10 count. I wielded two 5/8x18 nuts to a 3/4x10 threaded rod coupling and made a great adapter.I suppose you could do this with other dia shafts.

PS: Good morning Vence I need uh ......
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 12:41pm
number one rule with alignment, never remove cutalass unless you have too, alot of boat manufacturers laser align the center hole of the cutlass to the center of the stuffing box and then will move the engine to that center.
With alignment there are 3 crucial points, 1- center line of transmission coupling 2- center line of cutlass bearing and 3- centerline of stuffing box hole.
yes, if you pull the shaft away from the trans it will drop and wiggle but were not concerned about this because the weight of the shaft will allow this. were concerned about when the shaft is up on the pilot ring of the coupling and where the gap is which CANNOT be seen or MEASURED by the naked eye, when the CC dealer or MC dealer says the alignment was fine this means they didnt check it except with the naked eye.
The shaft must be centered in the stuffing box area or this to will create loads. You can even put a bolt in one of the holes lightly to hold the couplings together and then start checking your gaps with feeler blades and then move your engine accordingly making sure when complete that the shaft is also centered in the stuffing box area.
30% to 40% of transmission failures are due to mis-alignment and i can always tell the ones which are mis-aligned due to case wear and bearing wear. A transmission will overheat due to excessive output load and run hot breaking down the oil and it will blow oil out the top breather. It will also rob horsepower and the boat will not perform as it should because of the extra load on the shaft and in most cases create vibrations. all in all alignment is probably one of the single most important things on an inboard boat that shuold and must be a part of your yearly maintanance schedule
"the things you own will start to own you"
kevman38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevman38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 2:20pm
Eric ,
should I buy a new strut and shaft to be safe? Also how should I go about aligning the new or straightened strut? Are there any measurements that I can take to ensure the strut center line and strut log are on the money with out a laser bore alignment tool? I'll stop being lazy and search for other post I'm sure you have addressed this at some other time.
Thanks for your help,

Kevin
kevman38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevman38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 2:27pm
Eric disregard the post above. I re read and I see what you are saying concerning strut alignment . I have a sterrot slide caliper that will do this easily.I should be able to find a good reference point.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic