Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’91 PCM 1.23 Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’91 PCM 1.23 Questions
    Posted: July-25-2007 at 4:53pm
After reading some posts on transmissions, I have come away with two things: there is an awful lot of knowledge on this forum and that I am now confused.

I am the new owner of a 91 Nautique with a 351 and PCM 1.23 transmission. My first inboard! This boat has been laid up for the past two years, so I have been going down the list of maintenance things to do. I have made it to replacing the tranny fluid.

First: I cannot find the drain hole the bottom as the manual states. I guess I have to look harder. I also tried to suck the fluid out with a drill pump through the dip stick opening to no avail. Any other ideas?

Second: The manual states to use 20W SF. I can only find 20W SL - same stuff? Is it OK? Reading some other posts, folks have recommend replacing with Dexron (due to anti-foaming properties). Is that acceptable?

Thanks in advance - you all have already been super helpful! I am looking forward to getting this boat in the water and pulling some people.

Regards,
Matt
1991 Ski Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 5:00pm
Most people pump the old fluid out. Pumping it out can be a little tricky. I've found a drill pump is the best device but everyone has their own techniques. If you put the suction tube too far down, the tube will deflect elsewhere in the trans and you won't get anything. You really only have to push it in a little further than the dipstick reads. As for switching the fluids, it seems to be the way to go. You have to flush it out with a few changes of the fluid (running the boat between changes to pump the fluid around) but I recall hearing that changing to Dextron is PCM's recommendation even on the early 1.23's.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 5:22pm
If you use the cheap hand pump be careful not to let the end slip and fall into the trans! Glue it on, hose clamp, or put a longer piece on so if it does slip off it'll be hanging out of the trans and you can pick it right back up.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 5:49pm
Welcome Matt;

My brother-in-law has a 92 SN with the same tranny. There is a drain plug on the bottom that can be removed with a 7MM allen wrench. It's a bit tricky to find but it's there. Pumping works too but I must admit that I could not get the pump to work with his tranny. Just didn't get any suction. My tranny pumps out beautiful so I know how to use the pump. I ended up pulling the plug but that also really makes a mess in the bilge. Changing fluid over to Dexron ATF is the way to go just like M3fan stated.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 7:25pm
Pumping the fluid out works fine as long as you put the hose straight down the dipstick hole. Dont even think about trying to use the drain plug- its a serious PITA to reach.

If youre not experiencing any problems, I might just continue use of the 20w oil. I took my tranny out this spring and inspected the internals (which looked great). Having the tranny out (and completely drained) was the only reason I made the switch to ATF. If you do go that route, flush it a couple times and use good fluid. Eric strongly recommended Valvoline Dexron/Mercon. Whatever you do, dont use synthetic!

Having 20w originally installed means you have a pretty early 1.23 box. Do you have the PCM fix already installed? The early trannies would tend to buzz at idle. The fix is the black hose sticking out of the top of the tranny:

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:35am
Thanks everyone.

I will give it another try tomorrow night. I think I need some really small OD tubing. The hole on the transmission fill hole is super small.

I do not have the hose off the top of the tranny.   I haven't noticed it buzzing, but I have only run this boat for about 20 minutes. I will pay attention to that tis weekend. I assume Skidim has this as well?
1991 Ski Nautique
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 6:21pm
The 7mm drain plug is kindof a pain to reach but that is how i have always drained mine. I use a length of bullnosed drywall corner bead masking taped in place as a trough. Then I have a small plastic funnel in the bildge hole that drops the oil in a pan below.
Even when draining from the bottom drain hole I have never used much more than 1.5 Qts on refill.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 10:18am
if you dont have access to a pump, I simply remove the hose from the side of the trans and fire the engine, this removes 99% of the oil and wont hurt a thing. if you plan on changing oil try to fill the trans to the top and run up to operating temp this also helps dilute the old oil with new oil and then drain
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 10:37am
Erik, Welcome back from vacation! We missed all of your trans advice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 2:07pm
It was a vacation that i soon wont forget, the moterhome $75.00 me every 180 miles, got in the mountains in WV and the trans started slipping.. luckily it was only a speed sensor..$300.00 for that f-up, got to DW and turned the air on and a big puff a smoke blasted out the vents, burned all the capacitors on the side $180.00 for that one.
Pushed my mother in a wheelchair for 5 straight days in that f-n heat and humidity.... Im just glad to be back
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic