NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New packing, still leaking???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New packing, still leaking???
    Posted: July-26-2007 at 12:29pm
Guys,
I just put in all new packing material around the prop shaft this past weekend. Cut perfect, staggered splices, supposedly the "state of the art Gortex stuff from Ski Dim", and starting out after only hand tightening, water poured in there.. Then kept tightening, and tightening, and tightening... Damn thing still leaks a drop every second..
I'm obviously doing something wrong??? 3/16" rope that Ski Dim recommended.... Any thoughts?? I mean dows this stuff take a "set" after time?? From what I have read from some guys, this stuff should work immediately with little pressure on the packing nut???

Thanks
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

bchesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 12:38pm
How many layers did you add? Last time I had mine apart I think that it had four. I know that my rudder has four because I replaced it last month. Only other thing I can think of is that it will swell when wet and maybe some from the shaft getting it warm. Sorry dont have any first hand experience with the goretex product.
2001 SAN
"Python Powered"
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 12:38pm
Can you tighten the packing anymore.Your real close to what you need.Your suppose to have a drip about once every 7 to 10 seconds.Could be that you just need more packing or something didn't seat right.I remember when I did my packing that I cut a piece long enogh to go around the shaft to where it just overlaped each of the ends an tighten it down.I get the one drip every 7 to 10 seconds now so you may just to go back and redo it again.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:41pm
I have 3 or 4 pieces in, can't remember.. They were all cut the same (basically a butt splice the diam of the shaft). I staggered them all at 90 degrees, and that's about the set up.. I can barely tighten it anymore, yet I'm getting a drip every 2 seconds still..

I was under the impression that this stuff was virtually dripless????

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:37pm
Dave, I'm wondering when did CC switch to the 3/16 instead of the 1/4? You know I'm up on all the older CC's and have always used the 1/4" If you take the cap off the stuffing box then the space between it's I.D. and the shaft will determine which Dia. of packing to use. Can you fit another piece in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 4:20pm
Moj,

Sounds like you really Fudged that packing up!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dave, I'm wondering when did CC switch to the 3/16 instead of the 1/4? You know I'm up on all the older CC's and have always used the 1/4" If you take the cap off the stuffing box then the space between it's I.D. and the shaft will determine which Dia. of packing to use.

According to all Ive read (including SkiDIM's website), CC's generally require the 3/16" packing. Thats what my '90 took.

Interestingly, my dad's '03 196 takes 1/4" (this was news to SkiDIM when we told them). We installed the 3/16" first and it was clearly not right- when we lowered the boat into the water, the packing didnt drip- it was a steady stream. Based on that, Id say if you had the wrong size in there, you couldnt even get it to slow to a dripping pace.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 5:40pm
Tim/Pete, I really believe Ski Dim gave me some bum information too.. That water was seriously just running in after hand tightening the packing nut... Being as cheap as it it, I'll order the 1/4" and try that... It really seems like more material is needed and will fit from an OD sense..

Thanks guys..
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Moj,

Sounds like you really Fudged that packing up!

Bwahahaha, na I leave that up to our friends from the Nort' haha..

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 6:00pm
I used the 3/16 in my 95, staggered 3 layers in the nut and hand tightened. It worked perfect immediatly. Did you wrap the shaft or lay it into the nut? Maybe try the other way..

^^^More ammo for Hollywood...
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Darrel Darrel wrote:

I used the 3/16 in my 95, staggered 3 layers in the nut and hand tightened. It worked perfect immediatly. Did you wrap the shaft or lay it into the nut? Maybe try the other way..

^^^More ammo for Hollywood...

Darrel, I put each piece in the nut, then threaded it on... Poured like rain like from the holes of Hollywood's Caddy roof in a thunderstorm !!!!

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had 77 Tique

jeffinohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 11:08pm
i just did my 1992 with the same new 3/16 gortex. it took 4 pieces. that is what i pulled out. it leaked when hand tightened plus a 1/4 turn. i tightened it more to the point where it stopped but the shaft got too hot. the next day i backed it off almost to the point where it was originally and it works fine and does not leak at all.    
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 3:35am
Dave,

I always used the old shi* not the new sh*t...I once bought some of the new s*it but had some of the old *hit laying around too.And because I could'nt find my glasses I don't know which shi* I used! However, I stuck the sh*t in there and it works well. Sorry I can't be of more help , but I can't see s*it with out my glasses
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic