Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking For Info on 440 Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tonali_III View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking For Info on 440 Chrysler
    Posted: August-30-2004 at 2:38am
I have acquired a 1974 Southwind 20. With the assistence of Ken G out of Cinncinnatti, I now have a trailer waiting for me in Indy. (Thanks Ken!)

Now I need data! The boat is an original '74 Southwind 20. I am the second owner. It is equipped with a M440 Chrysler engine. To my limited knowledge, this had to be a special order. My knowledge of this period is limited. My Intertec "Inboard Engine, Transmission, and Drive" manual lists 3 Chrysler M440 engine possibilities. Question: What is the most likely horsepower output for the M440? I have not seen the boat yet. (A leap of Faith!) So I cannot provide any data tag data. I realize this is shooting in the dark with a misfiring gun, but ANY information at this point is better than NONE!

Thanks! Keep 'em boating!
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2004 at 1:52pm
Tonali_lll I just saw the same engine in a Cris Craft at Lake Tahoe. It was a special order from Cypress Gardens. It is 300 HP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2004 at 2:33am
Rick,

Thanks! This is just the information I was looking for! How did the Chris Craft perform? Was it a mover? A puller? I am a big Chris Craft fan as well as Correct Craft. The Chris are mighty fine boats!
1974 Southwind 20
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6752" rel="nofollow">1972 Mustan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2004 at 2:34am
Oh yes, silly me! That is a fine looking 2000 Ski!
1974 Southwind 20
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2004 at 12:03pm
Tony,
Congrats! But watch your dealings with that Kenny G fellow. Did he mention if the trailer has wheels? Regarding the 440, my bet is that its a 330 horse. Over the 20 plus years of its existence, the majority were the 330's. And I've never heard anything but good stuff about them. I'm anxious to here how fast she is. Someone out there has an old manual or brochure or if you want to pick up one there are plenty on ebay.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2004 at 12:52pm
The Chris Craft was BOTH. Top speed 50+ pulls 6 at a time at Tahoe!
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2004 at 6:48pm
Tony , I have a 1973 San Juan 24' with the
Chrysler 440 it is 330 hp , I think it is a
M440, B series motor . If you need exhaust manifolds you can get them at west marine part # 5328075 for $209.99 each . If yours has the double impeller Sherwood raw water pump you can get the re build kit at west marine too.
let me know if I can give you any more info .
Mike T . ( nautique frk)
yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2004 at 10:45pm
Tony,

Ya hit me in a soft spot.

Back before power steering, brakes and windows were in most cars and we listened to Dick Biondi on WCFL out of Chicago or the Wolfman from that 500,000 watt AM station in Mexico, Horspower was king. If you wanted an engine that would rev up fast and run forever and leave most everything behind without the headaches of the 426 hemi, you bought a bought a belvidere or coronet with the 440. 375 hp and 490 ft-lbs of torque right out of the box. Just tuning it got you 400 hp. "Ain't no replacement for displacement!". Man I miss that car!

Back to the boat; The only caution I would offer is to keep an eye on the fuel gauge!

Good Luck!
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonali_III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2004 at 2:30am
ReidP,

Any hint about where to find a manual? EBay is kind of broad. I am looking for an engine manual for my boat. Also I am looking for any kind of literature on my boat. The Sales Brochures available at this site are good, but I would like to find a list of engines available for 1974. Anybody have any ideas?
1974 Southwind 20
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2004 at 5:51pm
Tony,
Check these sites and see if they can help you out:
(1)
http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/chrysler/index.html

(2)
http://www.hurrikain.com/Chrysler-manuals-inboards.htm

Damn, Yellowdog, how old ARE you? Just kidding of course, but maybe you'll be interested in the 413 I've got going in a '67 Nautique as soon as I can complete the unexpected stringer and floor work.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

yellowdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2004 at 11:40am
Tony,

Have you tried talking to Correct Craft directly? They gave me a bunch of help with old supplier part numbers and even sent some old manuals for the '78.

Reid,

Let me think about that; Lionels at Christmas, first car was 2 year old '64 GTO, $0.28 gasoline, the Apollo 1 fire was just yesterday, Viet Nam was in our living rooms every night and the corner of Michigan & Balboa was the place to be during the '68 Democratic Convention. DAMN, I AM OLD! Actually, age is relative. Relative to the numbers of parts that hurt when you get up in the morning!

The 413 was a great engine that really did not get the respect it deserved. Are you leaving it stock or building it up?
Caretaker of the wife's '78 Ski Nautique
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2004 at 8:24pm
Yellowdog,
So you're 39, big deal. As for the 413, I'm sorry to say, and it pains me, but for now she will remain stock. I bought the complete engine: oil pan to carb to belts/hoses and BW trans from a guy in Washington state in running condition, so I'm gonna run it first. Maybe a mistake, but it should have been in the boat 6 months ago. I do have all intentions of building it up however, complete with the 2-4's that came on the factory 413D marine engine. One of the many things I loved about the Chrysler Corps of old, they'd go with a multiple carb set-up in an instant.

One item I do need for this install, and if anyone could locate one, is a raw water pump bracket that positions the pump(s) higher than the crank pulley centerline. The factory location on the 413B has it lower and it hits the reinforced floor just aft of the ski pole. The later engines, 440's etc., all had it higher I believe. So all I need is the bracket.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2004 at 3:02am
Check with Blue Ridge in Lynwood WA He may have the bracket
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2004 at 12:38pm
Rick thanks. However ironic, I did just receive an email back from Keith there yesterday saying they didn't have a spare one at this time. I guess they can't pull one from a good engine. I just know there are some scrapped big Chryslers out there somewhere. I'll keep looking.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic